June 9th, 2008

McCain team reaches out to disappointed Clinton backers

Would Clinton's supporters really consider backing McCain this fall?
Would Clinton's supporters really consider backing McCain this fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) - While Sen. Hillary Clinton was endorsing Sen. Barack Obama, some of those weighing in on her campaign Web site were less willing to concede.

As Clinton wrapped up her remarks Saturday in Washington with a plea for supporters to work "as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me," many were posting messages saying they would never vote for the presumptive Democratic nominee. A few even called on her backers to visit Sen. John McCain's campaign Web site.

"I love her and will vote for her in 2012, but it's McCain all the way now," wrote one within moments of the former first lady's address.

Whether that sort of statement signals a defection to the presumptive Republican nominee, a voter less likely to make it to the polls on Election Day or just a bit of low-grade, post-primary grumbling - it's the sort of sentiment that makes for a nagging, low-grade anxiety among nervous Democrats and brings a gleam to the eye of McCain.

As Democratic leaders met last month and decided to seat Florida and Michigan at half strength at the convention, angry Clinton supporters who had backed her plea for the seating of full delegations from both states began to chant, "Let's go, McCain!"

And as Clinton's presidential bid wound down, some of her loudest supporters began insisting they would consider voting for McCain if she were not the Democratic nominee.

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. skylark

I have a great idea!
    Stop trying to convince these people. They are loving the attention, even the negative.
    They are Reps, Lesbians and old ladies still in lust with Bill.
    Maybe if we would ignore them they would go away. If not, lets just tune out. Let them talk to each other and we regular folks will find some blogs where discussion is civil. If not, Hillary has been blogged long enough. I am sick of looking at her picture.
    She is history. Do not dignify their ravings by responding.
    I won't. As an addendum, I personally prefer the posts on MSNBC. There are more level headed people there.

June 9, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  2. Bryan

The best thing for Hillary is for her to run on an incumbent ticket and not following McCain's shoes.

Hillary was not ready and did not organize her campaign to win and you want her to be President? All Obama did was put togther a better organization and win the nomination as a huge underdog. Seems like he is much more qualified than HRC.

June 9, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  3. Linda31

Kelly – Glad to hear that you will not vote out of revenge. I just want to touch on a couple of thing s you said.

- How could Obama copy Hillary's positions? This is not high school and he was not looking over her shoulder. Maybe, just maybe he believes it and is fighting for this. Also, if you go to the library of congress you can see for yourself what he has been working on since being in office. Very similar to those positions he copied...

- Why exactly do you doubt his sincerity? As for McCain look at his past record minus the war. I think some have blinders on because of his service. Learn about his first wife, wuite telling about McCain's intergrity. Also the manor in which he treats his wife, well documented. And his behavior when Clinton was called out her name at his event....a laugh.

- I too believe that Hillary campaign her heart out for Obama. I also believe that she would not do it if she did not believe he would be better than McCain.

June 9, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  4. Sean Lloyds

a vote for McCain is a vote against Roe v Wade...

June 9, 2008 04:06 pm at 4:06 pm |
  5. New Day

hmmmm.... I wonder if McCain will actually agree to universal healthcare or to maintain a woman's right to choose in order to court Hillary's supporters or whether he will prey on their anger to get their votes and then discard them.

Disgruntled Hillary supporters: Make sure you get a good deal from McCain before you mortgage your kid's futures.

June 9, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  6. Bill Jay

I'm voting for Mr. McCain and I'm a democrat...................

June 9, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  7. martin

losers searching support from losers.these idiots need their own country,somewhere in the middle east.iraq perhaps?

June 9, 2008 04:07 pm at 4:07 pm |
  8. 24 white male Louisville KY

What is with you people who say you won't vote for Obama? Seriously what is the deal? He's a likeable guy and ran a brilliant campaign.

June 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  9. Zagazaw

Obama, you are the MAN, those who are for you are more than those who are against you.

June 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  10. Gene

Hillary's supporters 're bunch of morons....You all 're blaming Obama for her downfall....Where were you all when she ran the worst campaign in democratic party history?? WHERE were you all when her campaign went in debt???WHERE were you all when she ignored 50 states and caucuses strategy? WHERE were you all when Bill and Hillary injected race...

REASON WHY HILLARY AND BILL FAILED!!!!!!!!!!

1. Arrogant, She underestimated Barack

2. Dishonesty, Misspoke Bosnia Sniper

3. She surrounded herself with old delusional politicians, and bad advisers. Such as Lanny Davis, Bob Johnson and Mark Penn.

4. Ignored 50 states strategy, never planned beyond super Tues...

5. Bill Clinton was a distraction throughout the campaign trail

6. Her campaign’re been run by the special interest and lobbyists.

7. Bill, Hillary and her surrogates injected racism and sexism-it backfires.

8. Kitchen sink strategy and summer gas break was a failure.

9. Hillary praises McCain on national security that alone angered a lot of democrats and elected officials.

10. Bill and Hillary declared war/ mouth wagging with the media and press.

June 9, 2008 04:08 pm at 4:08 pm |
  11. RC

Obama is a Harvard educated Constitutional Scholar. He did four years as an Illinois Senator and two years as US senator. Also he gave up a lucrative career to perform community service. He has written and co sponsered hundreds of bills. He also ran a brilliantly run campaign and managed to clinch the nomination as a relatively unknown by working very hard so Stop talking about his lack of so called experience. The ones with 'so called' experience got beat and made bad judgements to boot. BTW, what ever happend to the gas tax holiday?

June 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  12. Clinton Supporter

Kenneth M. June 9th, 2008 3:51 pm ET

SONIA4HILLARY, we are glad we could help. But you should not wait to start talking. Could have won if you would have started on your own. The best part is that in 2012 Hillary will be 70. Then she could be the oldest women ever to run for office.

============================

LMAO you do Obama math??? Hillary will be 64 in 2012!!! Young and if you recall...women live longer than men.

That is why there will be so many women voting against Obama in November!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  13. Tony in Douglasville

I'm tired of those Hillary supporters who lost the game and now want to take their ball home, I reach out to the willing but have nothing but disdain for the ignorant. Go vote for McSame, align yourselves with those who claim to be "Pro Life" but plan to take away your ability to choose. Keep sending our children to the incenerator that is Iraq, and be proud when those of us (THE REAL MAJORITY) that put Obama as the nominee hold her accountable in 2012.

You lost once, find solace in that feeling when McSame loses in November too. Change is coming, can you feel it?

Obama/Richardson 08

June 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  14. TrueDemocrat

I truly do not understand HRC supporters who say the will not vote for Obama no matter what, when he and HRC have a platform that is basically identical. You can't even say that he played dirty politics because he pretty much stayed on the high road the entire time. If you would rather sit out, or vote for McCain, rather than vote for the Democratic nominee you are either racist AND/OR not a true democrat. My respect for Hillary deteriorated along the way, but I'd still vote for her if she were the nominee. Four more years of Bush is not an option

June 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  15. Maggie

I think most of the so-called "Clinton supporters" and "Obama supporters" on here are Republicans in disguise. First, they posted to keep the party in distress and divided during the campaign. Now they are posting trying to convince the real Clinton supporters (like myself) to vote for McCain. And they are also posting as "Obama supporters" with nasty, divisive, anti-Clinton comments. Again, to upset the Clinton supporters and convince them to vote for McCain. Sorry, republicans, but your little game isn't going to work on me. I know that Clinton will get an appropriate job, whether it be VP or Secretary of HHS or a Supreme Court nomination. I did not and do not want Obama to be president, but I will vote for him because I REALLY do not want McCain to be president. I would urge the REAL Clinton supporters to vote for the one who is closest to her ideals, and that is Obama. And I would urge the REAL Obama supporters to not post anti-Clinton comments, but to admit that she was a formidable opponent who is a loyal supporter of the democratic party (and Obama himself has stated that he is a better person for having run against her). Thank you.

June 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  16. km

Don't hold your breath for Clinton in 2012...she created this mess by playing the victim and dividing the party. If he loses, she is done in the Democratic party.

June 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  17. Obama 08

I dont understand y people are so against Obama. As far as I am concerned he won fair and square. Hillary did not win popular vote, she did not in most states and he ran a clean campaign. So, give him his credit he brought down the democratic dynasty. I beleive even if a small amount of people switch from hi8llary to mccain he will still win in a landslide in november. If he can beat the clintons who his ideas are very similar I do not believe he will have any problem beating a lame duck candidate with drastically different views.

June 9, 2008 04:10 pm at 4:10 pm |
  18. Smiley from Conyers, GA

It is quite astonishing to see how many Hillary supporters are calling Obama supporters mean and nasty when HRC supporters were just as nasty. Is that the pot calling the kettle black? This double standard has to stop. The vitriol came from both sides. Get off your high horses and unite for the sake of the Democratic party and this country.

June 9, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  19. Clinton Supporter

You people that think we are Republican and living in a dream world!!!

Bye, Bye Obama!!!

June 9, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  20. Hill's still the BEST

The Obamas repeatedly are presented as coming from the AA perspective that is SO different from the easy ride all of us others have had in the US. All immigrants met with discrimination in some way or other.

I was born in Italy... and dealt with hardship and hate as an ousider when I came to the US at age 6. That is no excuse for a lifetime of reverse hatred and nursing my wounds and carrying a grudge against ALL OTHER Americans.

Obama an Michelle may well have difficulty representing the ENTIRE COUNTRY- an not just African Americans. WHAT happened to the melting pot.

HILLARY CLINTON understood that WE ARE ALL AMERICANS.

June 9, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  21. Renee Las Vegas

Do what you want.... Stop threatining! It's getting Old!
    And I have a feeling there's so few of you, it really does'nt matter

June 9, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  22. SDunn

Kelly I'm sorry but Obama didn't copy from Hillary. She copied from him and it was so obvious at every debate. At one point in time she didn't even have a timetable for withdrawal, but all of a sudden after the debate where she was stumped regarding that question, she had a timetable at the next debate. Obama had a timetable and presented his idea at the debate where she didn't have a clear answer regarding withdrawal. She only started talking about energy policy after Obama was drilling his in every stump speech. This is the problem: You've only been listening to Hillary all this time and that's why you think Obama copied her policies. Now is the time to research Obama and see that he was discussing his policies way before Iowa.

June 9, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  23. Texan for Progression

To "Selected no Elected":

There was no conspiracy. Sure Clinton had 18 million votes, but so too did Obama. Obama won based on the RULES (how delegates are awarded)...even after the RULES had been compromised to benefit Clinton.

To Clinton and Obama supporters:

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. Sure there are those who will defect to McCain based on pure, unbridled hatred, but my bet is that they are far and few in between. In time, most Clinton supporters will come to the logical conclusion that of the two remaining candidates, Obama most closely represents all Clinton-supporters' interests, including the interest of those who will vote McCain. If I'm wrong and there is that much hatred in the hearts of that many Clinton supporters, then America is already doomed because the problems here at home is not isolated to "Washington Politics", but is at the core of the American people. Obama's platform is predicated upon the belief that the American people are good, but that American politics are no longer representative of the people. He intends to change that.

June 9, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  24. Angelino, CA

Hillary has always been my one and only candidate for the next president. I was totally devastated when she lost the primary. After her concession speech on Sat, my emotions were running pretty high the whole day and night. Her defeat felt like my personal failure. I didn’t think I was a feminist. But, why do I feel so frustrated and dissatisfied all of sudden? It is impossible for me to think about voting anyone besides Hillary now. McCain, NO WAY! Obama, NOT YET!

I think I will still go out and vote. I will write down Hillary’s name on my ballot even though she has zero chance of winning this coming election. It’s a show of support and a message to Hillary. I’ll be waiting for her in 2012.

June 9, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  25. No McCain!

I have a hard time believing TRUE democrats are willing to vote for McCain this fall. Especially considering Hillary and Barack are almost exactly the same on the issues while John and Hillary are completely opposite.

Seriously, why are you punishing Obama for Hillary losing the campaign? Why do you acting as though he stole the nomination? He won the majority of delegates, that's not stealing. He won, get over it.

McCain supporters always say, "he isn't a third Bush term." Think again, it says he votes with Bush on over 80 percent of the issues! Saying he is exactly like Bush is a little extreme, but he is incredibly similar.

Bush's policies only caused problems in America. We need change!

Obama '08!