June 9th, 2008

McCain team reaches out to disappointed Clinton backers

Would Clinton's supporters really consider backing McCain this fall?
Would Clinton's supporters really consider backing McCain this fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) - While Sen. Hillary Clinton was endorsing Sen. Barack Obama, some of those weighing in on her campaign Web site were less willing to concede.

As Clinton wrapped up her remarks Saturday in Washington with a plea for supporters to work "as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me," many were posting messages saying they would never vote for the presumptive Democratic nominee. A few even called on her backers to visit Sen. John McCain's campaign Web site.

"I love her and will vote for her in 2012, but it's McCain all the way now," wrote one within moments of the former first lady's address.

Whether that sort of statement signals a defection to the presumptive Republican nominee, a voter less likely to make it to the polls on Election Day or just a bit of low-grade, post-primary grumbling - it's the sort of sentiment that makes for a nagging, low-grade anxiety among nervous Democrats and brings a gleam to the eye of McCain.

As Democratic leaders met last month and decided to seat Florida and Michigan at half strength at the convention, angry Clinton supporters who had backed her plea for the seating of full delegations from both states began to chant, "Let's go, McCain!"

And as Clinton's presidential bid wound down, some of her loudest supporters began insisting they would consider voting for McCain if she were not the Democratic nominee.

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. indy dem

Her loudest supporters only get one vote each. High volume does not equal a majority. Real democrats know what's at stake here.

June 9, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  2. Debbie,NJ

If NO OBAMA now for whatever reason, her supporters stay home, write her in, or vote for McCain, then NO HILLARY in 2012. We will see to it.

June 9, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  3. K in CT

I feel its' disloyal to all women for us to vote for obama. Hillary was the strongest most qualified canidate. It was our chance to bring our nation to balance in all issues. Women have been balancing ,organizing, and leading for over 200 years. It would have been of greater HISTORIC significance for her to have been elected. She will go into the history books as the QUALIFIED FEMALE not elected because SHE was a FEMALE. She will also be taking the blame for however the election turns out. I will exercise my vote as I see fit. This is NOT Democrats vs. Republicans – its now a black vs a White man. It's that simple. We will make history alright. Our country will become a 3rd world country in November.

June 9, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  4. Peter Damoah-Afari

Obama's victory has numerous implications, and things are going to change right from America to all corners of the world. In America, it is now clear and known by most people that Republicans actually do not have anything good to offer, but have enjoyed so many years of dirty politics and tricks.

If Obama is not able to win in the general elections, we do not have to blame him. Because McCain can only win if and only if (iff) people decide to vote by color, and not by considering things such as intelligence and the content of the message preached.

Obama has changed the way politics is going to be played in America forever. Even if he is not able to win because he is black, his influence will still remain in American politics and generations to come will start talking about common sense and to address real issues instead of following the same old dirty politics of the Republican party that have left many people poor in America.

How on earth can a country like America continue to have many of their citizens deprived of simple health care? This, in fact, is very shameful, and Republicans are to be blamed for this situation as they have run the white house more than the Democrats in the History of America. This should be a challenge to the people of America to throw the Repulican party out of the white house, and to give Obama, a man with clear vision, the chance to steer the affairs of America in the coming years.

God bless Obama!
    God bless the Democratic Party!
    God bless America!

June 9, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  5. Happily Independent

Once your first choice is not there, then one must ask oneself whose views are similar to my first choice? Obama. Which candidates views are closer to one of our worst presidents, George W. Bush? McCain. Therefore, choosing the lesser of two evils means a vote for Democrats and Obama

June 9, 2008 03:06 pm at 3:06 pm |
  6. jack

Obama spanked Hillary like the spoiled child she is who needs a "time out".

18 million voters for Hillary were not enough to defeat the better canidate, OBAMA, Yes, he had "MORE' than 18 million votes.

In American politics the most delegates win. Lets me see.....Oh Yea! that was OBAMA.

After watching her campaign how can anyone say that she would be a good leader for America?

1. Wrong-on Iraq.
    2. Wrong-on Iran. "I will bomb them into oblivian"
    3. Wrong-on campaign spending. "30 million in debt.
    4. Wrong -on campaign strategy.
    5.Hillary Clinton just plain wrong for America.

June 9, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  7. Phyllis in Texas

Kathy in Oregon

Where are you getting that Hillary has experience?????You mean Bill has experience. What do she have experience on as a President????
    You people kill me with the experience crap!

Obama 08

June 9, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  8. SONIA4HILLARY

Anita from Arizona June 9th, 2008 2:59 pm ET

SONIA4HILLARY

Are you part of the GOP spin machine? Come on you can admit it. How much is the GOP paying you? Do you have health care?

no –i am someone who got attached to hillary at personal level for past 10 mos -

and i feel emotionall insulted and ashamed to be a woman b/c of the sexism -she rec,v,d

By the way anita –i know who u r -- WONK–WONK–

June 9, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  9. A Campaign Strategist for 115th St & Amsterdam Ave

In the earliest days of the internet, anonymous chat room participants seeking sexual liaisons would lie about their chest, waist, hip dimensions, length, girth, weight, eye color, hair color, hair quantity, height, income, nationality etc. etc.

We need to take all this bravado in these postings with a grain of salt.

Clearly some Hillary supports are disappointed and will vote for McCain but they are not the majority. It's just illogical and most thinking people won't buy that hype any more than they should buy the embellishments of those posting in date chat rooms.

The hyperbole has the same objective ....to deceive.

June 9, 2008 03:07 pm at 3:07 pm |
  10. sophia nyc

A true democrat who loves this country will never vote for McBush.

June 9, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  11. Texan for Obama

I have to tell you Hillary's speech Saturday was pretty clear that she DOES support Obama for President. I was impressed and have always been very vocal against what I considered her unnecessarily bitter, harsh and just down right dirty politics coming from her and her campaign.

If I was impressed by what she said, ANYONE could be impressed by what she said. I will also say that if I were still a Republican voter, which I used to be, I would be very unhappy about her speach for unity and endorsement of Obama.

To Hillary's supporters, please be careful who you pay attention to now on these blogs. I don't imagine too many real Obama bloggers would be spreading hate messages after Saturday's rousing support by Hillary. We need time to see how she will actually ACT on the camaign trail when she gets out there, but it really is time for a truce of sorts here on the hate messages.

June 9, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  12. Richard, FL

SONIA4HILLARY

RESEARCH will SHOW that Obama ONLY said that he would DISCUSS it with the Republican candidate. Since then, McCain has flip-flopped about taking it. We need to all be honest in these discussions.

June 9, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  13. McCain is losing his bearings again

How Pathetic!

Look at these republicans masking as democrats LOL!!!

There's no way a real democrat would vote for McCain but I am enjoying seeing the republicans 'work their magic' on the media.

The only democrats that would vote for McCain are those few racist and still THAT wouldn't get McCain the Presidency.

June 9, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  14. Mike

I just removed my Hillary Clinton For President bumpersticker from my car; the current bumpersticker reads: John McCain For President!

June 9, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  15. Bella from Florida

Hillary had a clear vision of what to do and how to fix the economy .
    She was by far the best candidate of the three.

June 9, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  16. Joseph

It's experience stupid. That’s why we will vote for McCain.

June 9, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  17. Pat

I didn't leave the Democratic Party,

It left me.

There is ZERO chance I'll vote for Obama in November.

Democrats for McCain '08!!!

June 9, 2008 03:08 pm at 3:08 pm |
  18. Jack from California

I'm a Clinton backer and I have news for Senator John McCain – I would rather vote for a "dirty old yellow dog" before I would vote for a Republican.

John McCain is a member of the "elite" and he wants to continue with the same old GOP policies of making the rich even richer.

Yes, John will promise us everything just like the great "uniter" Bush but, what did we get – "THE GREAT DIVIDER" and McCain wants to continue this policy.

Don't waste your time McCain – it's not going to happen!

June 9, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  19. Nia

As far as I'm concerned if they want the blood of our troops on thier hands because they want to be selfish enough to vote out of spite, or they were hoping for some women's movement and not focusing on the policies at hand then fine...BEAT IT!! Suffer the consiquences...but something tells me they will blame the media or Obama for thier own actions

June 9, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  20. phil, philly

if clinton supporters vote in mccain two things will happen. 1) i get to keep my tax breaks because i make a boatload of money and 2) the democratic party will blame hillary for the loss and she won't make it past iowa in 2012. sounds like a win-win for me. so please, go ahead. mccain 08.

June 9, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  21. Still for Hill but now ONLY for Hill

Hillary is the ONE.

Legend now.

In the history books.

The only qualified one.

The only one that did not play dirty and remained gracious, strong and resolved in her fight for ALL Americans.

June 9, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  22. Stereotype

By the way,

I was just pointing out that the way Clinton supporters are acting, only hurts their cause and does not help it.

June 9, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  23. Sylvia

I WILL NEVER VOTE FOR OBAMA
    NEVER EVER
    Hillary was our BEST hope for the future...
    now I will vote McCain 2008

June 9, 2008 03:09 pm at 3:09 pm |
  24. R.I.F.

Thank you Linda31. I feel like this same story keeps getting repeated over and over again. Let's let everyone chill out. The primary just ended less than a week agao and it was long hard and bruising.

I really don't undertand the Hilary supporters saying that they are voting for McCain because he has experience. George Bush has more experience as president of the US than anyone else (8 years). Since you're only looking for expereince, no matter the positions on issues, let's see if we can get a wavier and have him run for a tird term. Bill Clinton was the same age as Obama when he ran and he was the governor of Arkansas. That meant he had ZERO years of experience in foreign policy. Obama has much more experience than Bill did at this point.

Let's use our head and not think about this as my team got beat by the other team so I hate them. Remember that Democrats are all on the same team.

June 9, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |
  25. Brian Knoxville, TN

Grumbling Clinton supporters make the failed leadership of the Democatic Party nervous, eh? They shouldn't worry about a thing. Their selected nominee and false prophet will not win in November. Period. No need worrying about it...

June 9, 2008 03:10 pm at 3:10 pm |