June 9th, 2008

McCain team reaches out to disappointed Clinton backers

Would Clinton's supporters really consider backing McCain this fall?
Would Clinton's supporters really consider backing McCain this fall?

WASHINGTON (CNN) - While Sen. Hillary Clinton was endorsing Sen. Barack Obama, some of those weighing in on her campaign Web site were less willing to concede.

As Clinton wrapped up her remarks Saturday in Washington with a plea for supporters to work "as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me," many were posting messages saying they would never vote for the presumptive Democratic nominee. A few even called on her backers to visit Sen. John McCain's campaign Web site.

"I love her and will vote for her in 2012, but it's McCain all the way now," wrote one within moments of the former first lady's address.

Whether that sort of statement signals a defection to the presumptive Republican nominee, a voter less likely to make it to the polls on Election Day or just a bit of low-grade, post-primary grumbling - it's the sort of sentiment that makes for a nagging, low-grade anxiety among nervous Democrats and brings a gleam to the eye of McCain.

As Democratic leaders met last month and decided to seat Florida and Michigan at half strength at the convention, angry Clinton supporters who had backed her plea for the seating of full delegations from both states began to chant, "Let's go, McCain!"

And as Clinton's presidential bid wound down, some of her loudest supporters began insisting they would consider voting for McCain if she were not the Democratic nominee.

Full story

Filed under: Hillary Clinton • John McCain
  1. Alex in TX

Hilllary has 8 years of elected experience. Obama has 11.

Lets get past this inexperienced argument and focus on the real enemy...McCain.

June 9, 2008 03:21 pm at 3:21 pm |
  2. michael tampa

For those hillary supporters who now say they will vote for McCain,

What do you say to your children when they act childish? Look in the mirror and say the same thing to yourself. This election should be about issues, not people and Hillary and McCain are not even close.
    Hillary should be glad to get rid of supporters who can't see the difference........and I wonder is this more about race than you want to admit. I was a supporter too, but now I will vote like an adult, against 4 more years of bush policies.

June 9, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  3. Johnathan Miller, Moultrie, GA

I will vote for Obama....on one condition...Hillary as his VP. Period.

June 9, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  4. Debbie,NJ

If you love Hillary so much then why didn't you support her financially. Stop whining and help her where she needs you most. You can't help her with the primary, its over. You can't make Obama choose her as VP but you can help get her out of debt. If not what good are you.

June 9, 2008 03:22 pm at 3:22 pm |
  5. HopeThrives

You Hillary supporters are disturbing!!!
    In Fact, I'm having a hard time believing that you are Hillary supporters and talking this way.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that there are a bunch of Republicans on here playing with you guys!

IndependantQ
    California

June 9, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  6. Holly

It is interesting to see all of the negative opinions of Clinton backers online and how they will switch to McCain.

History will not look well on Senator Clinton and it will be because of the strange reactions of her base.

If you vote for McCain it will reflect poorly on her and her base and it will be seen as her whom split the party in two.

Think about this before you sit down and vote.

If you believe in her as strongly as you say you do. Vote for Obama, and vote for her legacy.

I don't think she wants to take credit for another 4 years of McSame.

June 9, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  7. Jim

It's interesting that some of the Hillary supporters backed her every word, except the one encouraging them to support Obama.
    You're not teaching anything to DNC by voting McCain. You're only proving your immature fanaticism. Obama is no sacred diety, but then he's not a warmonger who knows nothing about economics either.

June 9, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  8. Paul

Voters that want Hillary Clinton in a strong leadership position know that voting for Obama is the only option. Anyone who says otherwise is either a Republican troll posing as a Democrat, or Ferraro Democrat.

June 9, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  9. LT

CLINTON'S SUPORTER,

DON'T THREATEN DEMOCRATIC PARTY THAT YOU WILL VOTE FOR MCCAIN.... GO AHEAD IF YOU WANT....... THAT WILL ONLY SHOW HOW NERROW MINDED YOU ARE AND THAT YOU HAVE NEVER TRULY SUPORTED HILLARY IN A FIRST PLACE.

June 9, 2008 03:23 pm at 3:23 pm |
  10. Canad

To all Hillary Supporters who are bitterly claiming to vote against Obama and vote for McCain (Who is the opposite of what Hillary stands for) Here is a direct quote from John McCain 1998

"Why is Chelsea Clinton so ugly? Because her father is Janet Reno."

What do you see in John McCain, if not policies... what?

June 9, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  11. Mike

Hard Working Martha (3:11 pm)

Give us a break! Give us credit!

LOL

Stop putting us in a box; whether blue collar or white collar, we know and understand our candidate.

I didn't graduate from Medical school without doing my homework!

June 9, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  12. Monica

This is a message for CNN
    Your comments are closed in the other article about Laura Bush. If you are going to quote someone at least make sure it is accurate! "really"!!!!!!!!
    You even include the link that plays what is said but you can't even quote it correctly. As a viewer i.e. supporter of your news channel I expect you to correct it. It is your responsiblity as a news station to get the words that you have quoted to someone correct. Fix it! By not fixing it you are playing into the distortion and games that are being played by the media today and I don't like it. This is not FOX, I would expect that from them.
    I think I am going to post this over and over again until CNN fixes their error. 4

June 9, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  13. Global citizen

as a foreigner watching this drama. I realize that the same uninformed people that emotionally supported George Bush in 04 are going to Mccain now. Vote whoever you like and do whatever you want. You'll be the first sufferers while the rest of the world watches four more years of uninformed military arrogance and middle eatern occupation.

June 9, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  14. Debby

I always liked Sen. McCain. I would have voted him over Gore in 2000 if he were the nominee when I was a Dem.

June 9, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  15. Stephen

If someone can tell me what Obama means by "change," then I will vote for him. The problem is, most Obamanites don't even know what it means.

June 9, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  16. Monica

This is a message for CNN
    I think I am going to post this over and over again until CNN fixes their error. 5

June 9, 2008 03:24 pm at 3:24 pm |
  17. cynthia

I Guarantee that if Obama loses this election Hillary and her women will be blamed for it ,and Hillary's political future will be DEAD. I guarantee she will not have a senate seat again.

In a year that the democrats should win and they don't because of all the crazy talk .Your girl "Hillary" will not be wanted anywhere except by the crazy women she helped create.

You can check the facts on that . History will not be kind to her.

June 9, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  18. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

To Clinton supporters who say they will sit at home or vote McCain:

Hypothetical:

If Hillary Clinton herself went to your home, sat down at the kitchen table with you and told you to back Obama......would you?

I'll bet you would.

So why wouldn't you when she asks you in her speeches?

Does it make a difference if she is at your home or coming from the internet?

June 9, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  19. James

honestly, you Clinton to McCain people are flat out cowards.

June 9, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  20. Ms. GA

It will be really sad if her backers decide to support McCain when he doesn't share the same issues as them. Really Sad!

June 9, 2008 03:25 pm at 3:25 pm |
  21. Man from NJ

I feel sorry for the women that feel that somehow they lost their voices because Mrs. Clinton is not on the ticket yet. And they promise to vote for McCain or not vote at all.
    McCain will take away some of your rights. He has vowed to place Judges that will overturn Roe vs. Wade. Obama believes in a woman's right to choose. I can't get knocked up but I know choice is important to some people like my sisters. Cutting off your nose to spite your face is not the wisdom Hillary preaches.

June 9, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  22. Shirley, Texas

CLINTON SUPPORTERS - NO ONE WANTS TO STOP YOU FROM EXERCISING YOUR RIGHT TO VOTE! IF IT MAKES YOU HAPPY VOTE FOR MCCAIN JUST STOP WHINNING ABOUT IT!

IN THE MEANTIME, JOIN THE YWCA!

June 9, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  23. Reality Check richmond virginia

if the exit polls in WV and Kentucky were true, then all they need to do is see a picture of McCain and they will vote for him.

besides that segment, the best he can hope is that the rest don't pay attention to the issues.

June 9, 2008 03:26 pm at 3:26 pm |
  24. concerned

Why do all of you Obama supporters think we need to go for him just because our gal didn't make it.
    I don't care for him, he is inexperienced and especially a lot of concern about his hateful wife.

Sure I am upset about the media and the DNC party for what they did to her and they are still cutting her down stating it will be her fault if he doesn't get elected. Come on – it's up to him to the make the case.

I will be voting for McCain and one better yet – I will be changing from Democrat to Independent.

You Obama followers are as nasty as ever. You haven't changed. Too bad most politicians and news media are afraid of you and what you all are capable of. What has happened to democracy in this country

June 9, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |
  25. mkn

Anybody who says they are voting for McCain instead of Hillary is probably not being honest. Most likely they were never voting for any Democrat in the first place or they don't really believe in Hillary. If they were a true supporter of hers they would never insult her and her hard work by voting for McCain.
    Nobody in their right mind would choose a Republican if they were once a supporter of Hillary's.

June 9, 2008 03:27 pm at 3:27 pm |