June 9th, 2008

More than three-quarters rate economic conditions poor

A new survey shows nearly 80 percent of Americans thing economic conditions are poor.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – More than three-quarters of Americans think economic conditions are poor, a new poll suggests.

Seventy-eight percent of those questioned in a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey out Monday morning rate the economic conditions as poor. That’s up from 75 percent in March.

Only 22 percent rate the economic conditions in the country as good. That’s down from 25 percent in March and 54 percent in September.

But it appears Americans are optimistic. Fifty-two percent said economic conditions a year from now would be good, with 46 percent saying they would be poor.

The economy continues to be issue number one for Americans, with 42 percent saying it is the most important issue in their vote for president, far ahead of the war in Iraq in second place.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey was taken June 4-5, with 1,035 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The poll’s sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Filed under: Economy
  1. Terry in El Paso

Greg from Pottstown makes a point that I am hearing more and more: "in 2006 the price of oil was $60 a barrel. When the dems took congress and the senate it started to go up. By 2007 it had reached $92 a barrel. People like Chipster keep forgetting that a dem majority has held the congress and senate the last two years."

What is the connection between having Democrats in Congress and the price of oil? First, they did nothing to fix the energy problem. No new programs to develop alternative energy sources, no new taxes on the oil industry. Second, they do not have the grit and gumption to speak plainly to the American people – mostly because the American people will not vote for anyone who points out approaching problems. Third, they have not regulated the automobile industry to prevent the sale of gas hogs. Fourth, Nancy Pelosi is delusional, dysfunctional, and not that smart. Fifth, Democrats in Congress have really good jobs with great benefits. They are not going to take any chances of losing those jobs, no matter what happens to the rest of us.

The Democrats are not quite the bold thieves that Republicans are. They do not steal in broad daylight. Neither do they chase 16 year old boys down the halls of Congress. The only praise I have for Democrats is that they are not quite as villainous as the Republicans.

June 9, 2008 11:36 am at 11:36 am |
  2. Eugene

Obama should consider dumping James Johnson from his VP search team, given the questionable loans he received.

June 9, 2008 11:37 am at 11:37 am |
  3. Slected not Elected

R.I.F. June 9th, 2008 11:22 am ET

I still believe a lot of these "if not Hilary, then McCain" bloggers are really republicans stirring the pot,

. RI.F., you said it was the Republicans, well i begg to differ. The DEM's party elites, and the DNC trashed Hillary, and the Republicans did not force the DNC to crown obama king. America will get another term of Jimmy Carter if obama is President.

June 9, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  4. campaigns or president?

All you Obama bloggers...

Quit with campaigns and management.

We get it... HRC did not utilize the internet to get professional bloggers filling the posts 24/7.

We get it, HRC did not manipulate the press to gain an advantage.

We get it... older people and activist women did not rally to her until it was too late.

We get it... Hillary did not use lies and propaganda to unite by dividing the people and being boastful.

We get it... Hillary was not comfortable by presenting herself with fancy hype and stuck to the issues and got "policy wonked" for it.

We get it... HYPE trumps subbstance.

We get it RACE trumps gender.

BUT ARE YOU VOTING FOR A CAMPAIGN OR A LEADER?

THAT IS WANT COUNTS IN NOV.

June 9, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  5. Jim in Texas

You think things are bad now. If Obama gets elected, myself and many and I mean many others will pull out of the Stock Market. This is a fact not fiction.......then try to raise taxes on a crashing economy.

June 9, 2008 11:39 am at 11:39 am |
  6. easy choice

Vote Obama = gain more rights and better judges, better America, Better standing with the world.

Vote McCain = same, war continues, and his judge will overturn Roe Vs Wade. more tax breaks for the mega rich

This is our moment

Your vote, your support, your choice.

easy for me

Obama 08/12

June 9, 2008 11:40 am at 11:40 am |
  7. Rich in AZ

Hey stop it with the attack on us SUV buyers. I love my SUV and drive it to work everyday. If i couldn't afford the gas I would not have bought an SUV. It's comfortable, it's American (Cadillac). It's economical (21mpg). It's safe. and it has lots of rooms for my Republican stickers and my gun toting son that loves to shoot skeet.

Want to keep on driving it so I am voting for John S. McCain.

I don't want the Socialist pigs to take it away from me with their tax proposals.

June 9, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  8. Die hard Republican for OBAMA

No more McBUSH.................another 4yrs of misery and stupidity....Vote for your future not your past...............

June 9, 2008 11:42 am at 11:42 am |
  9. Nando, Florida

MCCAIN (FOR MORE WAR) 08

June 9, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  10. Zachra

Is there a separate category for piss poor?

Because I'd like to place my hat in that pile.

June 9, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  11. JIM

I make around $240,000 and figure my next raise will put me at around $250,000. So, what all you democrats are telling me is that I need to pay more taxes so my income drops to your level.

That is the one reason I will never vote for a Democrat..... I took out student loans and got a college degree yet you expect me to help pay for th elazy and less fortunate. if Obama gets in I am going to tell my boss I dont want a raise what is the point to help someone out who didnt have the same ambitions as me.
    WHAT A JOKE.....LIBERALS=LAZINESS=UNIONS

June 9, 2008 11:43 am at 11:43 am |
  12. Think

Well said R.I.F.

What people must realize is that the American system of compromise has played out in this primary- deal with it and move on.

Pay no mind to the pretend Hillary supporters here- they are a product of the talk radio extreme right. And laughable!

June 9, 2008 11:44 am at 11:44 am |
  13. After further review,Texas

CHARLOTTE, Thats the smartest thing you have said in months.

June 9, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  14. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

Our economy should be a lesson for all those who say that they are voting for McCain in November. Don't complain, just deal with it, because it's not going to get any better. It's only going to get worst.

John McCain don't have a clue about our economy, all he care about is winning a pointless war that never should have taking place.

So don't complain, you deserve what you get!

June 9, 2008 11:46 am at 11:46 am |
  15. mark

Obama : The solution for the econimics problems..

Obama '08

June 9, 2008 11:47 am at 11:47 am |
  16. K in CT

The economy is the #1 issue. With that said the real question is – HOW DO WE FIX IT ? Answer – by voting for the right canidate ! We need a President and Congress and Senate who will work together as ONE. Not as my party or your party. What's wrong with these polititicians? Can't they see that by being sturbon they are the reason our economy is in the mess its in? Most families ( heads of ) will tell you that by working together they make their budgets work for the most part. Maybe not in all cases but the majority of time. No it's not easy and it's a lot of work but by working toward a common goal they make it. This is what the United States needs. One and All working for the common good . If the polititicians can't see this we are on our way toward being another third world nation with those at the top looking out only for themselves.

June 9, 2008 11:48 am at 11:48 am |
  17. Clinton Supporter

Obama people, get over yourselves. Barack Obama couldn't have done a better job of stealing the nomination if he showed up at the DNC wearing a ski mask!

Now you want to blame Clinton supporters for anything and everything that doesn't go Obama's way. At the risk of talking to you like the children you are, you now NEED HRC. And because she's a bigger person you than you will ever be, she'll work hard to bring her supporters along.

Stop telling me what I should do if I'm a 'REAL' Democrat. Dems and Reps are clubs, I don't care if I fit the mold or not. If the fate of not being a "REAL" Democrat is the best you can do, you've got big trouble.

But you do have big trouble, don't you. We all do, since we have someone with the skills of a White House intern as a candidate. The "you don't like Obama so you're a racist," doesn't cut it. And it won't cut it when you get laid off either. We Clinton supporters will do what we think is right, and if that means not being a "REAL" Democrat, who cares? The DNC is corrupt, and they're in place. Until that group is cleaned out, nothing Dems want matters very much. Am I a "REAL" Democrat? NOT ANY MORE.

But I belong to that group that is proud to have marched, worked for civil rights, women's rights, voting rights, an end to the war in Viet Nam. And the like the writer above, I haven't forgotten anything about how to protest and how long it takes to get REAL reform in America (in this case only 4 more years).

You guys don't have a clue about the 60s or what men and WOMEN did while guys like sat on the sidelines and whined. GET A LIFE.

June 9, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  18. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

Also, people please stop talking about "Hillary coulda, woulda, shoulda" she did not win, please get over it and let's rally behind Obama who has a shot at winning.

June 9, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  19. RYAN

Gas @ 5 .00 dollars, one million houses foreclosured, 100yrs war, 4000+ lives and billions of dollars wasted in a war that was full of lies and propoganda, unemployment at its peak, bomb bomb Iran, corruptions at the highest level. Our image abroad inside pit...............McBUSH is it all you got for Americans??????????............................

June 9, 2008 11:50 am at 11:50 am |
  20. easy choice

Mister Anderson

Obama was the first to Link the war to a down turn in the economy. That why he did not fall for the gas tax holiday. Everyone know it was a political gimmick.

Your advice is good, and he is doing it already.

We will win this fall with good people like you

Have a great Day

Obama 08

June 9, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  21. ACC

So Laura Bush praises Hilary Clinton. I hope shes not thinking about running. This trend of first ladies thinking they can duplicate their husbands which is the real fraud has got to end. Its only a scheme to get their husbands a third term.

June 9, 2008 11:51 am at 11:51 am |
  22. Praetorian, Fort Myers

What a stupid poll.

Of course they're optimistic. Conditions are worse than most can remember in their lifetime.

What other options do they have but optimism (and prayer)things will get better.

June 9, 2008 11:52 am at 11:52 am |
  23. insanity

hello "Defection is on"

Obama never said HE can win back HRC supporters and not vice versa. HRC was the person who was making that claim. Listen to her speeches and look at the time lines.

All defectors to McSame, God bless you. You just voted to end the life a solider. Bankrupt a fellow American because of healthcare.
    Hope you're happy..

June 9, 2008 11:53 am at 11:53 am |
  24. Maggie in SC

Sen. Mc Cain has clearly told Americans he has little experience with the economy, but he will keep us safe. Well that is great, we will have a safe America. We will have no homes, no cars, no gas, no food, no jobs, forget worring about college, that won't be a worry, as we will all be fighting in a war.

America is crumbling under the Republicans. We need someone who will turn around our economy. For all those "Democrats" that will vote McCain over Obama, you are STUPID. Yes, I said it. I am a die hard Clinton supporter. I did cry when she "quit". But you need to look at the big picture. Don't be selfish, think about our future and our childrens future. I want to keep my home, my small business (dying here with the small business and a second job, and still can't make ends meet) my future. You can't simply throw it away by voting for McCain, or worse, STAY HOME? You would kick every service member in the face, if you chose not to vote. It is your right, use it to change this terrible time we are in. If you don't vote democrat, you might as well give up and put the hose on the tail pipe now.

June 9, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |
  25. RT in KY

Good Lord! I used to take pause and try to put myself in the Clinton supporters shoes, but these last days it seems only the fanatical ones are talking.

June 9, 2008 11:54 am at 11:54 am |