June 9th, 2008

More than three-quarters rate economic conditions poor

A new survey shows nearly 80 percent of Americans thing economic conditions are poor.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – More than three-quarters of Americans think economic conditions are poor, a new poll suggests.

Seventy-eight percent of those questioned in a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey out Monday morning rate the economic conditions as poor. That’s up from 75 percent in March.

Only 22 percent rate the economic conditions in the country as good. That’s down from 25 percent in March and 54 percent in September.

But it appears Americans are optimistic. Fifty-two percent said economic conditions a year from now would be good, with 46 percent saying they would be poor.

The economy continues to be issue number one for Americans, with 42 percent saying it is the most important issue in their vote for president, far ahead of the war in Iraq in second place.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey was taken June 4-5, with 1,035 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The poll’s sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Filed under: Economy
  1. JC

Timber,
    You were never a democrat to begin with, you say because Hillary is not the nominee you will vote for McCain, and you actually have a nerve to jusify that. Well speaking from a logical point of view your way of thinking well indeed make you I and the rest of america draw further down into poverty for this country, stop being selfish and close minded and realize this is bigger than Hillary.
    John McCain is not the answer a true democrat would know that, you probably voted for bush over Kerry, good job look where we are!

June 9, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  2. Beverly June Aksamit, Cleveland, Mo. 64734

The only candidate that talked about working toward a balanced budget and fiscal responsibility was Hillary Clinton. This is a very important issue that concerns me, my children, my grandchildren and great grandchildren. I am a Democrat and a strong Hillary supporter, I will not vote for McCain because I want our military to come home but Obama is promising to give everything to everybody which proves to me that his plans do not include paying down the national debt. What do people like me do in November, 08. Vote for Obama and pray he selects some fiscally responsible people to advise him.?

June 9, 2008 09:56 am at 9:56 am |
  3. Susan

The message from John re: Pathmark is ominous.

While I am glad to see the retailer conserving, it is frightening because their intention is not for the environment, it's for their survival.

I remember my grandparents talking about the depression and my parents describing rationing and other sacrifices people made during WWII. I think we are headed for some real changes and not so pleasant surprises in the very near future, with the direction our economy is taking. I have already been thinking about next winter, when people are paying high prices for gasoline and their heat. We, as a society have gotten used to a lot of things, and I worry there will be many people who can't handle the changes we are facing.

June 9, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  4. Montana is Obama Country

......... The FIERCE URGENCY of NOW .............

June 9, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  5. CB

Timber June 9th, 2008 6:35 am ET

Hillary would have been the best one to fix this economy. If I live to be 100, I will never understand why the media, DNC, Dean and Pelosi were pushing Obama on us from day one. He still only won by the skin of his teeth even having all the media ramming him down our throats. You cannot buy that kind of coverage. Well, there is only one thing now that they cannot make us do and that is to vote for him in November. This Hillary supporter is voting McCain. Yeah, he is not great, but you took the great one out of the race and left us with empty rhetoric. Four more years of republicans will almost be worth seeing all of you fall flat on your faces. No more money from me to the DNC, there is not a brain cell amongst the bunch of them.

The candidate you claim that was the best, Hillary herself will be pulling the level for Obama in Nov. She won't be making a point/statement. The only statement she will be making is she supports her party. So why should you? You are probably one of those under cover republican trying to fake being Democrat.

I would hope most Americans was reasonable and intelligent enough to make a common sense decision, but I guess the media is correct the under educated voted for Hillary.

Just remember. We have just as many REPUBLICANS. who say they will vote for Osama. Just something to think about for all CLINTON SUPPORTS who won’t support OBAMA?

It sounds like an EVEN TRADE TO ME, except the cross over REPUBLICANS is getting the better part of the deal.

Over half the republican party don't even want McCain.

June 9, 2008 09:57 am at 9:57 am |
  6. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

...and that is precisely why John McCain must NOT be elected President! This is the natural end result of 8 years of Bush's tax breaks for the wealthy, outsourcing of American jobs, and a "let business do as it pleases with no regulations" approach to economics. We cannot afford any more of this and that is what McCain is offering. OBAMA '08 AND '12!

June 9, 2008 09:59 am at 9:59 am |
  7. CB

The candidate you claim that was the best, Hillary herself will be pulling the level for Obama in Nov. She won't be making a point/statement. The only statement she will be making is she supports her party. So why should you? You are probably one these under cover republican trying to fake being Democrat.

Just remember. We have just as many REPUBLICANS. who say they will vote for Obama. Just something to think about for all CLINTON SUPPORTS who won’t support OBAMA?

June 9, 2008 10:00 am at 10:00 am |
  8. Country first party second

I am NOT GOP I am Democrat (but switching to independent) but the Dems have to take ownership of this mess too.

We have a majority of the congress Democrat and they have done nothing, but blame everyone else. You can't tell me that the majority of anything can't win. "Majority rules", at least that is what they say in the primaries and everything else that is majority. I can't believe the congress can't do anything, I don't buy it. They are lazy and the Dems always point their fingers, I have really noticed this, this primary season and this is one BIG reason I am leaving this party which I have been a memeber of since I was 18.

June 9, 2008 10:02 am at 10:02 am |
  9. vic nashville,Tn

DNC miss the best candidate to fix the economy In November DNC will pay for that
    Hillary we want you back

June 9, 2008 10:03 am at 10:03 am |
  10. Phil in KC

Well, duh. The only surprise is that 52% think the economy will be better in a year.

June 9, 2008 10:05 am at 10:05 am |
  11. One America

THIS IS NOT ABOUT H. CLINTON OR B. OBAMA... THIS IS ABOUT THE POOR JOB THAT HAS BEEN DONE CONCERNING AMERICA... A REGULAR AMERICAN WOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED IF THEIR JOB APPROVAL RATING WAS IN THE TWENTIES.... IT IS TIME FOR A CHANGE.... RACE AND GENDER SHOULD NOT BE A DECIDING FACTOR.... MONEY ISN'T BLACK OR WHITE... IT'S GREEN....

June 9, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  12. John in NY

This Hillary posts are getting out of hand. Why do you continue to print this garbage?

June 9, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  13. Jeff, AL

Wow. What a wonderful Bush/Cheney legacy for us to remember.
    Whomever makes it into the White House is going to have some big problems to deal with right away. I doubt Obama would be very effective. McCain does not seem too concerned with much other than continuing the War. I am going to be watching for how the Democratic leaders handle things if Obama does get elected. It's obvious that people like Pelosi and Dean really wanted him elected for some reason. When their man gets in the White House and starts looking like a fool, I'm gonna be placing most of the blame on them.

June 9, 2008 10:07 am at 10:07 am |
  14. Less, Austin Tx

It is for the money, of the money, by the money. 'People' has been replaced with the word 'money'.

Bush has managed to destroy the meaning and purpose of what America stands for.

It is time for us to come together as Americans and change this definition back to its original meaning and purpose for the future of this country.

Obama '08/12

June 9, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  15. Jack Jodell, Minneapolis, MN

Electing John McCain, a man who is admittedly weak on the economy, but nonetheless proposes to give us more of the same Bush jive which put us where we are today, would make as much sense as going to a baker for a cure for your cancer. McCain and more Bushonomics is NOT the answer! OBAMA '08 AND '12!

June 9, 2008 10:08 am at 10:08 am |
  16. joy

all my life
    the economey has been bad on election year, it will be better when we
    have a new presient (if it is obama)

god bless all of us

June 9, 2008 10:09 am at 10:09 am |
  17. Peter

As an outsider to American politics please I want you to understand that your poor economy has all to do with a war you should have ended long ago. The oil producing countries were looking for an opportunity to bleed the rest of the world to death and they got it when your president decided to raise and maintain hight tensions in middle east and use your money in fighting a war that is slowly putting your country in bigger debt. This has weakened the dollar which in turn has been blamed on raising oil and food prices. What worries some of us is that the same policies might just be continued again because you decide so. Please elect a president that will take a different direction in November or you will leave to regret when another world power takes over your mantle.

June 9, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  18. Herman in LA

******************************************
    Timber June 9th, 2008 6:35 am ET
    ******************************************

The primary seasons is over get over it and channel that energy into something positive your life will be much better.

Don't worry about Senator Clinton, believe me she will live much better than you or I will ever live in our lives.

Use some sense, and study the issues and put your vote will it will help you the country and your family if you have one ok.

Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country.

June 9, 2008 10:11 am at 10:11 am |
  19. Mister Anderson

Obama would be a FOOL not to link the economy to the war. If he goes on this economic tour trying to sound like Edwards and Hillary then he's going to fall flat on his face.

He needs to create his own economic message by linking the economy to the war and linking bush to mccain. He gets a two-for-one hit on the two most important issues.

June 9, 2008 10:12 am at 10:12 am |
  20. Watching from the sidelines

As an observer from the outside, I can easily see that Obama would be the best candidate. He has proved that he is not 'an empty suit' as alleged by a lot of people , by stopping the inflow of lobbyist money. He was the only guy who said that the gas tax holiday was a gimmick

My Country and I will be hugely benefited if McCain is elected. My country will also be affected if Obama takes office.
    Guess you guys dont deserve Obama anyway- and that primarily goes to deluded HRC supporters

June 9, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  21. James

I think the democrats will do well in November. I think Obama is a smart man and he will employ the right people to help him. His campaign has already proven he is capable of beating the odds. He will not pander to the people and he will be honest about how to solve difficult problems. I think we will do much better than a man who admitted he does not know too much about the economy.

June 9, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  22. Republican for Obama

Would you Clinton supporters stop already! She was not forced out of the race, she LOST. She didn't lose because she is a woman, she lost because she went negative and tried to tear down a fellow democrat. She did not win the popular vote unless you disregard the caucus states which flies in the face of all your arguments of counting all the votes. You sound like a bunch of first graders, my daughter doesn't make as many excuses as you people.

McCain will be bad for this country but if that is your choice then that is your right. Just remember though, Clinton only won slightly less than half of the Democrats. If she and her supporters sink Obama's run for the white house in 2008 thinking she will run in 2012, remember that the slightly higher majority of Democrats will sink her in 2012, it goes both ways. We will be stuck with yet another 4 years of McBush, and he's laughing all the way to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

Grow up already!

June 9, 2008 10:13 am at 10:13 am |
  23. joy

ATTN;
    HILLARY IS HISTORY
    instead of complaing and whinning, let us get mr obama elected and hillary will be helping him to try to get this mess took care of. it will be a long hard task/
    it want come overnight.
    hillary has ask all of you to support him
    DON'T LET HER DOWN. WHEN YOU VOTE MCSAIN IS A SLAP IN THE FACE TO HER

PLEASE POST THIS

June 9, 2008 10:14 am at 10:14 am |
  24. Smiley from Conyers, GA

The economy isn't the only thing that's poor. I'm quickly becoming poor myself. I have a job that's paying me over $65K and with the rising cost of gas, food and childcare, I am barely making ends meet.

Something has to be done sooner than later. I can't understand how the "greatest country in the land" can allow it's economy to get so bad? $4 a gallon for gas? This is outrageous!

June 9, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  25. Michelle

Change you can believe in? I don't think so. It's more of the same
    with Obama, including your finances.

Obama has a whole new scandal to deal with and it involves the
    mortgage debacle.

Check out this article posted on CNN's site:

"Top Talent Scout for Obama Tied to Subprime Lender
    Could Become a Political Liability" (NY Sun)

June 9, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |