June 9th, 2008

More than three-quarters rate economic conditions poor

A new survey shows nearly 80 percent of Americans thing economic conditions are poor.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – More than three-quarters of Americans think economic conditions are poor, a new poll suggests.

Seventy-eight percent of those questioned in a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey out Monday morning rate the economic conditions as poor. That’s up from 75 percent in March.

Only 22 percent rate the economic conditions in the country as good. That’s down from 25 percent in March and 54 percent in September.

But it appears Americans are optimistic. Fifty-two percent said economic conditions a year from now would be good, with 46 percent saying they would be poor.

The economy continues to be issue number one for Americans, with 42 percent saying it is the most important issue in their vote for president, far ahead of the war in Iraq in second place.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey was taken June 4-5, with 1,035 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The poll’s sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Filed under: Economy
  1. BOB

I think the answer is higher taxes, free medical and help everyone pay there mortage.....Oh wait I just described a liberal. I cant wait to start paying for %70 of Americans who are broke due to bad money management. I bet they all have cell phones and cable

June 9, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  2. Happily Independent

The econnomy is poor. Democrats and Republicans have failed us. They have had 30 years to work on a sound energy policy. They could not even come up with a compromise. U.S. farm policy is backwards. The federal government pays farmers to not farm some of their land to keep food prices up. At the same time, the federal government is letting allot of foreign workers skilled and non-skilled in the country. When you let allot of foreign workers in the market, U.S. employers will pay them lower wages. That has the effect of lower wages of all Americans. The National Debt is continuing to grow. That is another tax. If the national budget was brought back into balance, then doing so would help interest rates, investment, stock market and access to capital.

June 9, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  3. Luis

Liberalism is a mental disease...................................

June 9, 2008 10:15 am at 10:15 am |
  4. arc, Lugano CH

This article is not about Hillary Clinton being forced out by sexism(?). It is about the economic conditions that are hurting all Americans. Why does CNN included posts that have nothing to do with the actual article?

June 9, 2008 10:16 am at 10:16 am |
  5. Will from NYC

Ok, enough about the how the DNC somehow stole the election from Hillary. Folks this isn't about Hillary, Obama or believe it or not you!
    Its about taking America back from amoral GOP crooks, and thieves.

Too many people are saying I don't like .... therefore I won't vote.

ITS NOT ABOUT YOU!!!! ITS ABOUT THE USA!! VOTE!!

June 9, 2008 10:17 am at 10:17 am |
  6. rachel

The economy is horrible. I only gross about 1400 every weeks 400 of which are taken out for taxes. I hate beign penalized for not having kids or beign married.

June 9, 2008 10:18 am at 10:18 am |
  7. John in Missouri

I may be considered in the 48% who feel that by next year the economy will not be any better. Until we find a way to exorcise our dependency on fossil fuels, we will continue to see a downward economic trend. We are being held hostage by our addiction to oil, while some South American countries have found a way to circumvent the need for oil products, even in their vehicles. It makes you wonder who our countries leaders are representing when some less economicaly strong nations can fund research and even find solutions for the need for fossil fuels, and the only thing our leaders say is that we need more oil and less research in the use of renewable sources. I am retired and I feel like my income is continually shrinking and I see no relief in sight. I am not looking forward to finding a way to suppliment my income, however it has become a necessity if I want to continue to survive. I see us spending Billions fo dollars on a war that neither makes sense nor makes us safer, while people in this country are suffering from higher prices on everything and are denied quality health care. Isn't it time to realize that the people of this, the supposedly richest nation on earth, need some more concern than does the inadequate Government in Iraq, or the threats from a morally bankrupt leadership in Iran. A stronger, more realistic approach to This Nation than the rest of the world is needed. I am not an isolationist, only want to see that we address the problems of our own before we try to address the problems of the world. Democracy can only work when we become a complete nation, not an Us and Them nation. Remember our pledge "One Nation under God, Indivisible with liberty and justice for all." The emphasis should be on "Justice" as we all know that it has been more than emphatically said that "If you want justice, work for peace." God bless America, help our leaders to become more interested in the USA than in their own greed, and we will see not only a stronger nation but a more respected Nation throught the world.

June 9, 2008 10:20 am at 10:20 am |
  8. JOSH

I WILL ONLY VOTE FOR OBAMA IF CLINTON IS ON THE TICKET. PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 9, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  9. Swift

Don't beleive the republicans posing as HRC supporters- acting bitter and trying to divide the party- they are cutting and pasting postings from GOP websites to drop in every media blog they can.

McInsane and the GOP don't have a chance, so they are doing their usual Rovarian attacks and lies.

June 9, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  10. joy

YES HILLARY IS A SMART LADY

BUT, BUT
    THAT DON'T MEAN OBAMA IS STUPID, AFTER ALL he beat her fair and square so let us get on to getting the republicans out oif the white house

June 9, 2008 10:21 am at 10:21 am |
  11. Crush Rush

The 25% that think its just dandy,the elite pillagers just love it.They still make dough even when the little guy is getting the screws.

June 9, 2008 10:22 am at 10:22 am |
  12. BOB

SO, WHAT ALL YOU OBAMA PEOPLE ARE TELLING ME IS IF I VOTE FOR OBAMA I AM GOING TO GET A PAY RAISE. NOW, I DONT REMEMBER HR TELLING ME THIS WHEN I WAS HIRED BUT AS SOON AS THE OBAMA COMMIT ARIVES I WILL JUMP ON AND LIVE A LIFE OF FINANCIAL BLISS.........

FOR ALL YOU UNEDUCATED OBAMA SUPPORTERS/CULT MEMBERS YOU NEED TO BRUSH UP ON YOUR FINACIAL SKILLS TO UNDERSTAND THE ECONMY. I AM A SMALL BUSINESS OWNER AND IF I GET TAXED MORE I WILL HAVE TO LET PEOPLE GO. TAX BREAKS FOR COMPANIES ALLOW THEM TO HIRE PEOPLE

GOD HELP US

June 9, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  13. Sally from Cali

Our government has not set the example of being fiscally responsible. We're fighting a war on credit. I want to know what logic our government is using to leave such a huge debt for someone else to clean up. Bill Clinton's administration did a great job of cleaning up the deficit left by Georg Bush I. We need a democrat to clean up the mess that will be left by George Bush II.

We need both Clintons, Edwards, and Obama, a democratic congress and a whole lot of sacrifice and prayer to get out of this recessions.

BUT American need to remember this lesson about living above our means. Our grandparents learned it during WWII. Now it's our turn. Over-price mortgages for mega house, gas guzzling over-sized SUV's, it's called living in excess. But if you want to know where has all the money gone, we owe it all to banks, to credit card companies, and to the oil companies, which brings us back the Bush men.

June 9, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  14. Obama v McCain

ATTENTION REPUBLICAN POSERS..WE KNOW WHAT YOU ARE UP TOO.. NO ONE HERE IS SO DUMD AS TO NOT KNOW THAT YOU ARE POSING AS DISGRUNTLED HILLARY SUPPORTERS. CUT IT OUT

."Not this time-not this year!" -Barak.H.Obama

June 9, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  15. TESAP

CLINTON LOST GET OVER IT..................

June 9, 2008 10:23 am at 10:23 am |
  16. TESAP

HOW COULD SHE FIX THE ECONOMY WHEN SHE WENT INTO DEBT RUNNING HER CAMPAIGN.

June 9, 2008 10:24 am at 10:24 am |
  17. Scot (Mississippi)

Check votesmart.org for candidates stance on the issues...you will be better informed about our future!

June 9, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  18. #1 Hillary Supporter!!!!!!

Only the Democrats can turn this ship around! I'm a TRUE Hillary supporter, and I will do what she wants me to until the end!! My vote is for Democrats, my vote will be for Obama. They are very close on the issues, and we just can't afford McCain.

*crosses fingers for Hillary for VP!!!*

June 9, 2008 10:25 am at 10:25 am |
  19. The Bush Twins : George and John

People want to complain about the economy, and rightfully so !. But what gets me are the ones that complain and can't seem to figure out that it wasn't like this before Bush came to power. And those very same ones are willing to vote for a third Bush term because their candidate didn't get the nod. Comments such as "Hillary was robbed so I'm voting for McCain". Well, go ahead and vote for him because you want to act like a child. But should the Dems. loose in Nov. because of people like you, guess who will take the blame, HILLARY.
    Yes, she went negitive, and lost the nomination. And she will be blamed.
    I don't want another third term for Bush, I care about keeping my job and a vote for McCain won't help me.

June 9, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  20. FALSE FRONTS

RON PAUL WILL SHOW YOU ALL- THAT YOUR HOPE FOR CHANGE WILL JUST GIVE US A LARGER, SOCIALIST, FACIST GOV'T.

MORE GOV'T IS NOT THE SOLUTION TO OUR PROBLEMS, IT IS THE PROBLEM.

LAND OF THE SHEEP- HOME OF THE AFRAID...

June 9, 2008 10:27 am at 10:27 am |
  21. Belle

We could all send a message by not buying a drop of gasoline for 5 days.

If all Americans were united in doing this, plan it right, then we can force pricing down.

June 9, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  22. Foreign Observer

The fact that under those conditions more than 10%, much less 45%, are willing to vote for the guy who has the same positions that got us into this misery is a testimony to the media's failure in analyzing policy rather than covering elections as sports matches.

Talking of which: why hasn't CNN updated Obama's superdelegate count in the "Election Center"?

June 9, 2008 10:28 am at 10:28 am |
  23. MBFLA

Republican economics and endless wars = America in bankruptcy.

HOW CAN YOU NOT GET THAT?

June 9, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  24. DFoster

Why are Hillary's supporters so bent on not voting for Barack Obama? I cannot understand why any democrate wouldn't. And it seems to be not just the women, but the men as well. Even if Barack hasn't been in the Senate as long as Hillary or McCain, he is the best candidate that we have right now to fix this situation. Remember ... there are only two(2) candidates left to choose from. McCain doesn't know anything about the economy ... he said it himself. Hillary and Barack have almost identical solutions for so many of our problems. Who do you think will most likely ask Hillary for her input, Barack Obama or John McCain? I think you all know the answer to that.

June 9, 2008 10:29 am at 10:29 am |
  25. Frustrated- Atlanta

Next month, I pack my belongings and leave the place I call home because I haven't been able to sell ever since my interest rate went up. I will leave the house for the bank because they are also not willing to negotiate. Dont vote mccain if you want a repeat!

June 9, 2008 10:30 am at 10:30 am |