June 9th, 2008

More than three-quarters rate economic conditions poor

A new survey shows nearly 80 percent of Americans thing economic conditions are poor.

WASHINGTON (CNN) – More than three-quarters of Americans think economic conditions are poor, a new poll suggests.

Seventy-eight percent of those questioned in a new CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey out Monday morning rate the economic conditions as poor. That’s up from 75 percent in March.

Only 22 percent rate the economic conditions in the country as good. That’s down from 25 percent in March and 54 percent in September.

But it appears Americans are optimistic. Fifty-two percent said economic conditions a year from now would be good, with 46 percent saying they would be poor.

The economy continues to be issue number one for Americans, with 42 percent saying it is the most important issue in their vote for president, far ahead of the war in Iraq in second place.

The CNN/Opinion Research Corporation survey was taken June 4-5, with 1,035 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The poll’s sampling error is plus or minus 3 percentage points.

Filed under: Economy
  1. Jenn

Hey fellow Hillary supporters get a grip she lost and if you are truly a democrat you will vote for Obama.
    Until this year I had always been an Independent and Registered as a Dem this year and though I am truly saddened that Hillary lost and as much as I do not think Obama will be the leader his supporters think we cannot have a Rebublican is the white house.
    The political landscape of this country ebbs and flows and if we ebb anymore with the republicans there will be no flow back and then it will look like 1929 all over again

June 9, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  2. Think

I see the shrill Hillary "supporters" are using this thread too.

Make no mistake: these talk radio puppets are simply right wingers who can't stand the thought of change and think their hysterical logic will actually make sense to someone.

Will the Rush Windbag worshipers please give it up already- we're on to you!

June 9, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  3. CNN's Bind

I voted for Hillary Clinton because she was the MOST qualified and the BEST candidate to lead us from this mess.

But she was eliminated from the race by the flunkies for Obama.CNN Bind
    For those who ask, “what media bias for Obama?”

My small personal Observations.

1. I’ve tried to caution against the hate and the divide I saw forming in the Democratic party for months. But for months the HRC supporters were moderated out of all the internet posts. The Obama supporters were allowed to post filth about all of us ignorant, moronic, inbred, uneducated idiotic racists- I mean ‘rascists’. Apparently that is how they are now spelling the word in college campuses across the nation. We spelled it different in the 1960s when we marched and protested for civil rights and women’s rights to end racism and sexism.

2. I copied some of the more vulgar posts- about HOs and about how Chelsea was a product of siblings Bill and Hill Fuc-, and all the lovely, gracious, educated comments about inbred cousins in WV etc. I then changed the names from Clinton to Obama, and asked CNN to show me they were NOT biased and re-post those same insults with the tables reversed. Never did happen. But the Obama people still got their nasty mean comments on the boards.

3. I then copied those comments and pasted them into e-mails to CNN and asked them to moderate such vitriol. Still no response.

4. I watched Chris Mathews of MSNBC drool when he spoke of Obama, and spit when speaking of HRC and all women in general.

5. Obama supporters gleefully blogged propaganda for Obama. Look, they said… for every HRC post there are 35 for Obama. That is NOT truth. That is perception created by BIASED media propaganda.

I’m strongly for HRC but planned to vote for Obama were he the nominee (check the early polls- they reflect that early sentiment of HRC supporters). Now, it is NEVER Obama. I may be an old bra-burning woman for choice and against the Iraq war- but I still know HOW to protest for equality and freedom, with my vote in Nov.

June 9, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  4. Charlotte

DUH

June 9, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  5. Brian

Vote McCain he can continue the rise of gas prices! If all unite under McCain $10 gas will become a reality by 2012!

June 9, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  6. bitter is better but i will laugh best

My conscience is clear, went against the hype and voted for HRC.

Yes... I vote on the issues.

All you Haters out there calling HRC supporters morons who would cut their nose off to spite their face and declaring that loyalty to the party trumps ALL else… Please e-mail Michelle Obama and remind her of party loyalty and the need to elect a Democrat, and about Roe vs Wade and the Supreme Court, and the blood spilling in the deserts of Iraq.

BUT DARE NOT TO BULLY OR THREATEN US HRC SUPPORTERS WITH YOUR BIASED, HYPOCRITICAL INSULTS. You are just losing ( I’m sorry, the smart and educated say it ‘LOOSING’ votes from all us ignorant uneducated ‘LOOSERS’.

June 9, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  7. to those saying it's a republican's fault

It's everyone's fault... from the government to us buying SUVs.

The Democrats have been in control of Congress (remember, it's more powerful than the executive branch), and have done squat for two years now...

it's why the approval rating is so low... 95% of all Congress members only stick to their party guns and platforms and refuse to work together...

this is why our economy is failing.... yes, a war on credit is bad, but we also have not sacrificed our spending or raised taxes...

did you know most industrial countries worldwide have flat taxes now for everyone and have a health care plan?

guess who is the only nation with neither? USA baby... enough said

June 9, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  8. James Nelson

Bad economic times? Blame the Republican Party, who has held the reins of power for the past eight years!

Blame their deficit spending, which has put our country trillions into debt to the likes of China.

Blame the ridiculous and pointless war in Iraq, which drains billions out of our public coffers for no good end.

Blame the oil and banking industries and their free market buddy in the White House for the housing crisis, the foreclosure crisis and the fuel price crisis.

Then remember who is responsible for all of it when you go to the voting booth.

June 9, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  9. Linda31

Timber, that is actually not true. Clinton was favored all of 2007, it wasn't until after super tuesday that Obama became a contender.

It is very irresponsible when those who claim to be Clinton supporters are saying that they will basically vote against the policies and issues she was fight for! Because that is exactly what a vote for McCain will be.

I guess you have been riding your bike to work and grow your own food????? Wake up, this election is about you, me and this nation, not McCain and Obama.

June 9, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  10. S

Excuse me if I'm wrong here but isn't three quarters the same as 75%?

June 9, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  11. Donkey Party

It's amazing reading the comments from the radical Hillary fundamentalists on how she is (was) the best candidate to fix the economy. Really? Then would one of you care to explain how her campaign is 30 million dollars in the red? How can she fix the economy when she can't even run her campaign? Allow me to answer, she needs Obama's help to recoup her campaign money, and the country needs Obama's help to get us out of the red.

June 9, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  12. Veterans for Obama

Precisely why we need strong leadership in the whitehouse. There needs to be huge changes this coming year if we are going to save this country.

Obama 08/12

June 9, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  13. e-mail Michelle Obama

Hmmm.

Too bad haters eliminated and destroyed the woman warrior who could have actually worked and LED us ( not hoped us) through these challenges.

Too bad the audacity of hype prevailed over the Policy wonk who really KNOWS her stuff.

Suffer your Obama.

June 9, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  14. Loretta from California

I just received my stimuls check, and it's going directly into my savings account. I don't plan to spend a dime that I don't have to spend right now. I see pain on the horizon, people.

June 9, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  15. Waiting for the speech

As a HRC supporters I am just waiting for the arrogant elitist Obama to make an inspiring Hitler-like speech admonishing us Hillary supporters to vote democrat. Pointing his- don’t parse my words- finger to INSTRUCT us to follow him.

We protested for equality in the 1960s (and survived) while Obama was enjoying a childhood in Hawaii.
    PLEASE DO LECTURE US. That should complete the defection of HRC supporters. It is Bra- burning once again Ladies.

June 9, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  16. Veterans for Obama

Timber, you've got serious issues; And voting on them is obviously not one of them.

June 9, 2008 10:55 am at 10:55 am |
  17. Marilyn

The only "change" you will see with Obama is a downhill slide into socialism. People who have worked hard to save for their own economic security will be asked to foot the bill for those who have not. Even though I have been a Democrat all my life, Obamas is way too far to the left for me and I will NOT vote for him.

June 9, 2008 10:57 am at 10:57 am |
  18. JIM

OF COURSE WE HAD NO WARS WHEN CLINTON WAS IN OFFICE....HE LET US GET ATTACKED BY AL QAEDA 5 TIMES AND DID NOTHING...SURE OUR ECONOMY WAS GOOD BUT OUR SAFETY WAS JEPORDIZED. OH WAIT HE DID BOMB IRAQ IN DEC 99 BUT THAT WAS BECAUSE OF MONICA.

June 9, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  19. jim, kansas city

As a republican who would never wote for democratic candidate. I got to say that DNC and liberal media shot themselves in the foot. Favorite boy of the media Obama got a free ride this primary. Every speech that Obama gives, what do you know Anderson Cooper and Wolf Blitzer label it as historic(probably leaves actual historians scratching their head). I do not like Hillary myself, but my God you have Jack Cafferty and that guy that was former prosecutor (dont know his name) even if you looked with "loopes" you cannot find two bigger faces in TV who hate Hillary more, and what do you know they are political stratetigst or some contributors to CNN. In my humble opinion Hillary was many times stronger in every issue than Obama, she did not get treated fairly (my wife supports her so we had to watch all the debates)
    I own a small business with about 5 employees, I am member of chamber of commerce, all of us business owners in the chamber have the same fear when it comes to this. If Obama raises taxes, I am going to have to let go 2 or 3 of my employees, than Mr. Obama will give them free health care, I dont know maybe even help out with their mortgage and car payment, who knows, overlyambitious programs are not strangers to Mr.Obama
    I do not know but these strategies of government controlling healthcare, and goverment being very much involved in every sphere of life (controlling) did not work very good in soviet block, for the life of me I do not know why do you want to apply them here.
    Just something to think about when you vote.

June 9, 2008 10:59 am at 10:59 am |
  20. CB2

Attention Hillary Supporters:

Thank you to those that are willing to vote for Barack Obama in the general. If you are a democrat, independent or Reagan democrat who possess the same values as Hillary Clinton, then you should be voting for a democratic nominee in the fall. I'm sorry, but that person is Barack Obama.

For those that aren't going to vote for Barack Obama. Don't complain. Just stay home. We/he can't convince you anymore than we have been trying too already. It really expresses bad sportmanship. The primaries were a competition and the numbers just wasn't there for Hillary Clinton.

There is no need to blame the DNC, Nancy Pelosi and Howard Dean. Do you hear yourselves? When will you all start taking responsibility for your own actions. I'm an Obama supporter, but I'm not obsesssed with him. If he had not been the nominee then I would have voted for Hillary Clinton. Despite the fact that I thought she got out of line at some points. That was all part of the game, and she played it well. I wouldn't vote for McCain because I was upset Barack lost. That is just ridiculous.

Moreover, I wasn't raised that way. I am a democrat but I'm not married to democratic party. I do, however, wants what is best for the American people and that would be....better schools for our children, universal healthcare, removing troops from Iraq, fueling the economy with jobs and ending the housing crisis etc. Really people...get over yourselves and do what's best for your brothers and sisters. This election year is bigger than you..Its truly about the democracy for the American people.

June 9, 2008 11:00 am at 11:00 am |
  21. Honestlady

What's up with all of the nasty comments about Obama? It's one thing to not agree with his policies, but people are making nasty comments as if he has done something horrible. What has he done that was so bad? He ran an honerable campaign and he won. He was NOT given he election. He WON the election...even though it was close...HE WON fair and square. The people DID choose him. He played by all of the rules that he and Hillary agreed to at the very beginning, he was respectful throughout the whole process and he won.

I understand how disappointed that alot of Hillary supporters are because she did not win. I am a die-hard Obama supporter and i would be upset if he lost too....especially with this being such a close race. But at some point, i would have to suck it up, stop being angry and bitter, and turn my support to the democratic candidate that won.

Also, I'm trying to understand how sexism had remotely ANYTHING to do with Hillary losing. For those of you who believe this, please explain. I can't think of one point in the campaign where sexism had anything to do with her losing. If anything, her being a woman may have played to her advantage. Hillary made some mistakes in her campaign and she lost. I feel like alot of women who are Hillary supporters are playing the 'Sex card'....similar how they accuse others of playing the 'Race card'. I honestly have not seen either card played in this whole process.

June 9, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  22. Obama 08/12 / no Hillary

Vic in Nashville you can have her all to yourself along with all her untrue negative comments,lies ,Bosnia ,sexism,race that heard daily all the while bragged what a great pres. McShame w/be .Not to forget Clintons math and Willy .TOOO much she drew her own line in the sand to come in last.
    This country needs Obama . Bush/Cheney have targeted /ruined everything we had and stand for we all need to stand up and take responsibility no one can put us back on the right track without everyones help and it will n ot be done overnight.
    The war they started lied to the world ended .
    This is what some of our neighbors think .
    Russia Obama 52% – Mccain 15%
    France 65 % – 8%
    Belgium 74% – 12%

June 9, 2008 11:01 am at 11:01 am |
  23. seah ohio

Just the way the DNC Planned the economy to be.

The DNC machine working for supreme power over the country.

With the majority of dems in house and senate, Hurting the people. To get what they want from it. Then promising them Great things.

who spearheaded the Hate Bush, it is all bushes fault campaign – DNC & Obama

Who spearheaded Hate the Government Campaign it is the republicans fault. – DNC & Obama.

Who's spending and neglect spearhead the state of the economy – The DNC.

Their goal, complete control over the House, Senate and country.

Who made the people suffer for political gain – The DNC and Obama.

They are promising Great social programs, making the people more dependant on government, making the people under their control.

There will be no checks and balances, No one to keep and make sure the government stays on track. The Democratic Machine will have complete control.

Hillary would not Play the Game and was removed. No one will get in their way.

So What do you want for your Country.

June 9, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  24. Blake

What I find really funny is that in 8-12 years, democrats will be blamed for the same things that republicans are right now.

June 9, 2008 11:02 am at 11:02 am |
  25. Defection is on

I'd give Obama a chance to fix this mess... but so MUCH rancor and vitriol from his camp. And so much arrogance and boastfulness from the great Obama himself.

MY moment of defection:
    Early On the polls showed that the majority of supporters for HRC would gladly vote for Obama.

Then Obama used that as a weapon to divide the party. We went National and very arrogantly and presumptuously declared that HE could WIN back the HRC supporters... but not the other way around.

SEE? words DO matter. And How was that so? After all don't the issues and the values and ideals of the party matter to the Obama supporters? Besides, as I then blogged- Obama supporters have MORE to lose with a McCain win, then us older, more conservative HRC demographic. I was seldom posted and abusively attacked if I managed to sneak in a comment.

THAT WAS MY PERSONAL MOMENT OF DEFECTION FROM OBAMA.

Millions of other Democrats have THEIR moment.

June 9, 2008 11:03 am at 11:03 am |