June 9th, 2008

Sources: Obama's team to start VP search

Sen. Barack Obama shakes hands at after an event in Virginia.

Sen. Barack Obama shakes hands at after an event in Virginia.

WASHINGTON (CNN)–Members of Senator Barack Obama's vice presidential search team are meeting this afternoon with top House Democratic leaders on Capitol Hill to discuss potential running mates, according to several Congressional sources.

The team vetting Obama's V.P. pick is scheduled to meet individually with House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md, House Democratic Whip Jim Clyburn, D-SC, and House Democratic Caucus chairman Rahm Emanuel, D-Il. It's unclear whether the team will also meet with Speaker Nancy Pelosi later today or at another time.

One aide described the meetings as a chance for the Obama campaign "to show respect for party leaders and ask advice." This aide downplayed the significance of the meetings, noting there have been similar consultations in previous elections.

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Priscilla California

Uncle Sam wake up wash the sleep from your eyes and see that Mcsame is Bush Jr.

June 9, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  2. Jay

If Obama picks Clinton as his VP, I will vote for him. If not, I will vote for McCain.

June 9, 2008 03:58 pm at 3:58 pm |
  3. Bryan, Safety Harbor, FL

Obama/Huckabee 08

June 9, 2008 04:00 pm at 4:00 pm |
  4. moderate clinton supporter

i was a die-hard clinton supporter.
    I'm a well-educated individual . I once said i would vote for mccain if hillary was not on the ticket.
    I was showing my ignorance.
    vote with your heart and go with Obama.
    stop knocking the clintons and the country's 8 years of bliss in the 90s as well. its really getting old and shows your ignorance as americans. I don't think Obama will choose clinton but if he does it shouldn't matter. vote on the issues , not the individual. Democrats in 2008 don't throw away our country's future and vote for 4 more years of high gas prices, bad healthcare, a housing crisis etc.

June 9, 2008 04:02 pm at 4:02 pm |
  5. Ramina, California

I will not vote for Obama unless he choose Hillary as VP and his adviser. However, I will never vote for McCain and I know many republican that would vote for Hillary over McCain but not Obama.

Without Clinton He would never WIN!!!

June 9, 2008 04:04 pm at 4:04 pm |
  6. Ted

Leave the man alone! Hillary has the largest piece of baggage on the list....Bill. There is no way he could keep his hands off or mouth shut on any given situation. There are just too many other very well qualified people that could do the job equally as well, if not more effectively than Hillary. Sen Obama wants a person he can trust. Have you noticed all the negative talk she said against Obama that's already being used by the GOP against him? Think how bad it would get if she were his VP pick. Of course, it would include anything Bill said too. Nope, no Hillary, way too much baggage.

June 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  7. TwentyFirstCentury American

I have some news for those emotional Hillory supports. HRC can compete for President at least in 2016 only if you make Obama win this time. If he loses, she will be branded as a spoiler and her influence in the party will be badly hit. He will be competing again and again for Democratic nomination beating her all the times. This time he did not win places like California because Obama was little unknown both in the party and among democratic voters, but that will not happen next time. With gradually sagging influence in the party, Clinton will neither be able to raise the money or win votes as she did now. Supporting Barack and make him win is the only way she can gain respect and win the support of his constituencies which are essential to her victory in future. For winning, the support from blue collar voters, women, and hispanics only are not sufficient; she needs blacks, and the young and college educated people as well. Just remember that there are people like you in Obama's camp who would have been thinking like you, had the nomination been stolen from him after his sizable lead in delegates- the only metric that has been agreed upon by all as the valid metric for nomination before the race started, Even in the worst case scenario of full reinstatement of Florida and Michigan (with allocation of 0 delegates from Michigan to him), he was still leading in the delegates by a margin of 80. With such a lead, it is only but fair to make him the nominee. HENCE, PLEASE USE YOUR REASON AND FAIR JUDGEMENT, AND VOTE FOR OBAMA. if you are a Rush Lumaugh' style republican or a person committed not to vote for a black man whatever his credentials are, I will not even try to convince you. Good Luck!

June 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  8. Lisa M

I am a Hillary Clinton supporter and will continue to be because I believe she is THE BEST person to turn this country around. There are too many reasons why I don't like Barack Obama and wont' vote for him. McCain is a moderate, not a conservative. He has a history of working across party lines and of voting against the die hard republicans when necessary. I can live with that. He's a well respected Senator who has a long history that shows his experience. Barack Obama is a career candidate who used dirty Chicago Politics to get where he is. I don't trust him and I won't vote for him.

June 9, 2008 04:09 pm at 4:09 pm |
  9. akaDoug

You Democrats are such suckers! Hillary gets beat and then start to whine and cry and suddenly the whole party is in shambles! Ha Ha!!

I mean McCain can call his wife bad names, and sides with Bush on almost every single policy issue while Obama has almost the exact same policies as Hillary and treats his wife will love and respect but suddenly Obama is a sexist and McCain is a saint! I love it!

President McCain...new face same old policies! Welcome to hell!

June 9, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  10. Fred

I truly believe in order to get the Democrat support that Hillary holds and
    to seal any type of Presidency you should choose her. My family and
    I will pledge our support to McCain if we see any other choice. We number over 100 family and friends. We really don't have a great deal of faith in Obama.. We just don't believe in him as a future leader ... Sorry but we lost that months ago. Hopefully he will make the right choice...I thank that having a Kennedy on his team is just a token. All because she is the daughter of a former president doesn't mean she has the experience our no how to help choose a V.P.

June 9, 2008 04:11 pm at 4:11 pm |
  11. Sunburn

Strong-arming, threats, and bold stupidity won't work on us, Clinton/McCain supporters. You are crying now, but you will see the light and come running to Obama in November. We'll leave the light on for you, it's only a matter of time now. Now go out and play and try not to poke each other in the eye.

June 9, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  12. Lisa M

All you people who keep saying not to worry about experience and just vote the party better think back to Jimmy Carter's days in the White House. No foreign policy and Iran held hostages until hours after Ronald Reagans inauguration. We don't need inexperience. Now more than ever, we need someone who knows what they're doing and that is NOT Barack Obama. He doesn't even make decisions unless it's for political reasons. What is he going to do when he holds the power of the U.S. in his hand? He scares me too much.

June 9, 2008 04:12 pm at 4:12 pm |
  13. matthew

all are better than bush, so i dont really care

June 9, 2008 04:13 pm at 4:13 pm |