June 10th, 2008

McCain: 'I will veto every single beer'

CNN

Watch McCain's comments Tuesday.

(CNN) - John McCain issued a promise Tuesday that may cause a bit of unrest with a broad swath of voters:

He'll veto every single beer?

In a slip of the tongue while railing against excessive earmarks at the National Small Business Summit in Washington, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee inadvertently pledged to veto the popular alcoholic beverage.

Watch McCain's slip of the tongue

"I will use the veto as needed. I will veto every single beer - bill with earmarks," he said, as rumblings from the crowd could be heard. "And every single bill that we have come across my desk I will make them famous. I will veto them, you will know their names."

It's not entirely surprising McCain has beer on the brain: his wife, Cindy, is heiress to her father's Arizona beer distribution company, Hensley and Company, one of the largest distributors in the U.S., for which she now serves as chairman.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Patty Don't

So if he vetoes every single beer, where is his wife going to get the money to fly him around on her private jet, as she inheritted all of her money from her beer distributing family?

Our beer supplies are in dire threat America. How does he expect us to put up with another 4 years of Republican rule without beer?

Riots in the streets. I'm throwing the first brick.

June 10, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  2. JP

This guy is such a self-serving moron – I'm almost 100% convinced the American public will elect him!

June 10, 2008 10:48 am at 10:48 am |
  3. MoveOn

We can count on John for REAL action. All that Barry Bama has to offer is criticism – absolutely NO REAL plans, just words. Anyone can complain – even my 2 year-old granddaughter. ...But I'd be hard-pressed to think she is an effective leader (even though she has me wrapped around her little finger.)

June 10, 2008 10:49 am at 10:49 am |
  4. Jaci

Obama, Agree to more debates, townhall meetings in any forum...now!

McCain, decline all debates, townhall meetings in any forum, for your own good....

June 10, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  5. TJ

Veto every beer? Thats worse than starting the Iraq War!

June 10, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  6. Greg, NY

Jeez, he wants to go back to prohibition? He lived before, during and after, so he should know that it didn't work out to well.

Beer: lucky enough to have TWO whole Constitutional amendments dedicated to it.

(By the way, this post is all in good fun, thanks.)

June 10, 2008 10:50 am at 10:50 am |
  7. Bob Indianapolis, IN

I'll bet his wife will have something to say about vetoing beer! Let the senility fest continue!

June 10, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  8. Sue

This guy's an idiot.

June 10, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  9. Chris

This man forgets a lot and can't read teleprompters very well.

June 10, 2008 10:51 am at 10:51 am |
  10. Saad from NJ

Beer now cheaper than gas.... drink.... don't drive.

June 10, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  11. Elly

Every time I look at pictures of MCSame or hear his bumbling remarks it makes me more aware that this man has some mental
    deficiencies setting in!!
    he is just too OLD to take on the pressures and surmountable problems a President has to face
    He is just not healthy enough....period!!!
    Americans better think long and hard before they vote for this guy

June 10, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  12. Sam

"ear"mark..."beer" bill.... simple tongue twister. Come on CNN. Hillary voters are going for McCain so quit campaigning for Obama already. At least McCain knows how many states there are in the USA.

June 10, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  13. Montana is Obama Country

Okay, Campaign Alert speech.. "He will VETO every BEER"..

I have to tell you it was the funniest thing to hear and I suppose being and elitist married to a beer fortune – I suppose he does have beer on his mind.. after all – his wife is the beer winner- I mean bread winner..

meanwhile he is fighting with his mike to stay up as his robotic arms keep knocking it down.. too funny again... (never a leadership quality)

Too FUNNY..FUNNY...FUNNY,,,, – watch for it across the news stations or more likely the late-night talk shows host will have a hey-day with this.. It was the most interesting part of his speech..

June 10, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  14. carolflowery

at least there is a sense of humor with McCain, I have never heard Obama laugh out loud, why so serious, take it easy I think it is a cute mistake LOLOLOLOLOL but then again I have a weird sense of humor sometimes

June 10, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  15. Chris, Middletown, CT

I love how this is news....I am supporting Obama for President (and I'm a Republican) – add Hillary as VP....and McCain will get my support...I have suspended my contributions to Obama until he announces his VP.....if Clinton is on the ticket....McCain will start to get my campaign contributions.....

June 10, 2008 10:52 am at 10:52 am |
  16. Andrea

This seems to happen alot with Senator McCain! Voters be weary!

June 10, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  17. ObamaSupporter

This Guy is a joke all he knows this two words Veto and War.

June 10, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  18. Jack Colson

Soooo what ! He's human just like the rest of us who make verbal mistakes daily.
    OBAMA SAID "we've been in 57 states and one more state to go"....beat the hell out of him too.
    I'm not for McCain, but for Pete's Sake act like a human and quit picking about everything little thing.
    I'm for a leader like Truman, FDR, Teddy Roosevelt – where have all the good/leaders gone???
    Jack C
    Oregon

PS By the way the 75,000 at stadium where Obama spoke was a ROCK CONCERT THAT PLAYED AN HR before Obama spoke and again played afterwards. Very clever.

June 10, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  19. Des, Tampa, Fl

THIS GUY IS BUSH WHACKED... DO HE EVEN KNOW THERE IS AN ELECTION GOING ON.........?

OBAMA 08....

June 10, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  20. Jones

Dumb McCain...NO, NO 4 more yrs of depression and stupidity.......

June 10, 2008 10:53 am at 10:53 am |
  21. B

NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN!

June 10, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  22. Bob Stephens

Senior Moments? How about Alzheimer's???

June 10, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  23. raj

Don't worry guys he wan't get chance to veto anything

June 10, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  24. California Voter

No Hillary, for sure no Obama. Then, yes, McCain.

June 10, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |
  25. Matthew

Ironic that CNN commenters feel entitled to criticize on a verbal gaff but can't seem to spell correctly.

June 10, 2008 10:54 am at 10:54 am |