June 10th, 2008

McCain: 'I will veto every single beer'

CNN

Watch McCain's comments Tuesday.

(CNN) - John McCain issued a promise Tuesday that may cause a bit of unrest with a broad swath of voters:

He'll veto every single beer?

In a slip of the tongue while railing against excessive earmarks at the National Small Business Summit in Washington, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee inadvertently pledged to veto the popular alcoholic beverage.

Watch McCain's slip of the tongue

"I will use the veto as needed. I will veto every single beer - bill with earmarks," he said, as rumblings from the crowd could be heard. "And every single bill that we have come across my desk I will make them famous. I will veto them, you will know their names."

It's not entirely surprising McCain has beer on the brain: his wife, Cindy, is heiress to her father's Arizona beer distribution company, Hensley and Company, one of the largest distributors in the U.S., for which she now serves as chairman.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Oregon

Oh Magoo . . . you've done it again!

June 10, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  2. Connecticut Teenager

At everyone:
    People misspeak, deal with it.

At Obama fans who will try to make something of this:
    See above.

At Clinton / McCain:
    See above, NO ONE really believes Obama thinks there are 57 states.

At CNN:
    This is not news, we really need more on Huckabee performing the Heimlich... that was quality.

June 10, 2008 11:06 am at 11:06 am |
  3. rachel

Yikes. haha. I am a hillary supporter but Obama is right mccain is loosing his bearings. I think I will be staying home on election night.

June 10, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  4. Alicia

Senile! Flip Flopper! McBush is 'Out of Touch'!

Take your pick.

Also, wants to overturn Roe vs. Wade. Also, feels that it is a homeowners fault about foreclosures.

He does not 'remember' what he is saying. I used to respect this guy until he sold himself out.

June 10, 2008 11:07 am at 11:07 am |
  5. Jim

WHAT? Is he insane??? I'm a beer lover. Nobody can take my beers away from me. I don't care who you are.

June 10, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  6. Phil in KC

Veto every single beer? Well, that cinches it for the Democrats. No way the Republicans can win with that plank in their platform. 😀

June 10, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  7. whoever

he's going to veto kids off his front lawn too.

is anyone seriously considering handing the nuke button to a man who is just barely legally sane?

June 10, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  8. Gene

You guys haven't seen nothing yet. If this old delusional man get elected my family and i will move to another country for sure. Can't afford another 4yrs of stupidity and ignorance. The same old man confusing Shiites and Shunis in the eyes of the whole world.

June 10, 2008 11:08 am at 11:08 am |
  9. Venus

Too funny! I'm going to stock up on my beer today!

This general election is going to provide a lot of laughs!

Obama for President!

June 10, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  10. Former Republican

This is so funny.
    Please don't veto my beer or I'll die!

June 10, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  11. OldManMcCain

I wonder what the Repu (gnant) blican trolls prentending to be Hillary supporters will say about this?? McSame has completely lost his marbles, yep that's whose hand I want on the trigger???

June 10, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  12. Virginia

McBush is becoming a joke. LIeberman had to correct him in Iraq and he can't seem to master a teleprompter. Even his loved one (Bush) can do that. He is too old and that is coming from someone who is 74 and knows what it is all about.

June 10, 2008 11:09 am at 11:09 am |
  13. shirley

I like Senator McCain but it appears he is slipping because he also made a serious gaffe during a speech in Iraq. We do all mis-speak and John isn't lying he is forgetting which is serious business for a President.

June 10, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  14. kenny cole

Mr mccain you forget about the tax free Gas holiday,why because you understand people know you fooling them

June 10, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  15. Casey in Ca.

Hey, Jack Colson... maybe McWar can have a rock concert and invite ABBA to play.

Seriously. I was there. It wasn't music. It was all about Obama and listening to this refreshing change from the politics of the tired old white men who have been writing rules for everyone else since Jesus was born.

Anyone but McSame. No third term for Dubbya.

June 10, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  16. GE

I didn't see the "beermark" ... I hope he laughed at himself after the "slip" ... Nice thing about McCain is that he doesn't take himself too seriously. On the other hand Oboma seems to take himself much too seriously of late ... dangerous ... I hope he outgrows it.

June 10, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  17. MD

Poor man. I hope his family talks him into hanging it up. Everyone slips up once in a while, but with McCane it will always be attributed to his age.

June 10, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  18. Jaci

MAN I wish Saturday Night Live wasn't off for the summer!!!
    Remember the Bob Dole skits, Looking creepy and holding that pencil! LOL!!!
    I can't wait for the McCain skits

June 10, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  19. brad

so funny Iit made me go grab a cold one right now as it is so hot here in nyc. thanks for a good laugh.

June 10, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  20. to john saying Obama is intelligent

John--

remember when Obama couldn't remember which family member served in WWII... twice

remember when he said 10,000 people died in a tornado in kansas

remember when he said 100,000,000 died in myanmar

remember when he said he has visited 57 states so far

Like it or not, Obama has shown that when he speaks without a speech written, he's an average guy....

people like John are the reason people stay home and refuse to vote...

June 10, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  21. Independent-woman-4-Obama

OH BOY! What fun we will all have with poor McCain's slips-of-the-tongue!

Its not about his age (because I will eventually be there too) its about his party! The Republicans and their cronies HAVE REALLY CREATED A HUGE MESS! AND DO WE WANT MORE OF THE SAME?

That's the question, we, Americans, must ask ourselves and answer truthfully. DO YOU WANT MORE FOREIGN POLICY FAILURES?

MORE NATIONAL DEBT?

MORE TROOPS DYING, MAIMED AND SADLY, COMMITTING SUICIDE?

MORE AMERICANS LOSING THEIR JOBS?

MORE AMERICANS WITHOUT HEALTHCARE?

ARE YOU REALLY BETTER OFF TODAY THAN 8 YEARS AGO?????

June 10, 2008 11:10 am at 11:10 am |
  22. Carol

Can the Republicans un-nominate this guy? I'm serious, can they choose someone else or do the rules forbid a change.

I really think there is something wrong with this man. The memory lapses, the ridicuous statements, I think he may be developing Alzheimers.

This is scary. Obama is not that popular that he will be a sure thing. What if we end up with this old guy who is off his rocker in the White House?

June 10, 2008 11:11 am at 11:11 am |
  23. Rus in St. Paul, MN

mmm....beer laden bills. No wonder nothing gets done in Congress.

June 10, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  24. 1st Mrs. McCain is a HERO

........Vetoing BEER means NO MORE DRAFT........ hahahahaha

June 10, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |
  25. Devon

They say the mind is the first thing to go...

Sooner or later McCain will start hallucinating..

June 10, 2008 11:12 am at 11:12 am |