June 10th, 2008

McCain: 'I will veto every single beer'

CNN

Watch McCain's comments Tuesday.

(CNN) - John McCain issued a promise Tuesday that may cause a bit of unrest with a broad swath of voters:

He'll veto every single beer?

In a slip of the tongue while railing against excessive earmarks at the National Small Business Summit in Washington, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee inadvertently pledged to veto the popular alcoholic beverage.

Watch McCain's slip of the tongue

"I will use the veto as needed. I will veto every single beer - bill with earmarks," he said, as rumblings from the crowd could be heard. "And every single bill that we have come across my desk I will make them famous. I will veto them, you will know their names."

It's not entirely surprising McCain has beer on the brain: his wife, Cindy, is heiress to her father's Arizona beer distribution company, Hensley and Company, one of the largest distributors in the U.S., for which she now serves as chairman.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

I agree with John McCain. He should veto all beer.

As long as he doesn't veto cognac! 🙂

June 10, 2008 11:13 am at 11:13 am |
  2. leapfrog

Personally, I suspect we're in for a lot of these types of bloopers, and it's probably got cartoonists/humorists foaming at the mouth at the prospect of four to eight years of these kinds of things. The man underwent how many years of torture at the hands of the Vietcong? You can't tell me he went through that and DIDN'T get PTSD. I won't believe you. Of course he's got PTSD...

June 10, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  3. Rudy NYC

Things that make you say, "Hmmmmm".

The Arsenio Hall Show.

June 10, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  4. deroy

run the OBAMA tape where he is stammering and stuttering without his axelrod written flowery speech & teleprompter.

mccain wants all the beer revenue for his wife kind of like the NEA controls the hampered and unqualified school system.

the prisons are run better than the PC schools.

June 10, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  5. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

Connecticut Teenager:

I understand why Obama thought there were 57 states. He got them confused with Heinz 57 varieties of ketchup. It's an honest mistake... 🙂

June 10, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  6. Bridgette-PA

Hey, it's Hot on the East Coast. It's obvious, the man wants a beer. It's funny but I don't think the media should let this be the story of the day or of the week. As long as he's not bashing OBAMA, I don't care what slip ups he has. However, the debates between him and OBAMA will go down in history! Now let's get down to some serious business. OBAMA / SEBELIUS anyone...........

June 10, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  7. Tom in CA

He's becoming a Pander bear. Yesterday it was a gas tax holiday, today it's vetoing beer, tomorrow it will be...corporate welfare.

Helping people is not part of any of Senator McCain's public policies.

Anybody but McCain.

June 10, 2008 11:14 am at 11:14 am |
  8. Steve

Whew! That was a close one!!!! If he vetoed every single beer, I'd havce voted for Obama. Well, I was going to vote for Obama anyway, since Hillary isn't running, but no beer would have sealed the deal.

One of the first signs of Alzheimer's is "losing your words". Hmmmm I wonder......

June 10, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  9. Barbara

I am more worried about "more war and less jobs" McCain policy and the perspective for draft etc.

June 10, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  10. Nick

I'm gonna go veto a few beers later on tonight. While watching the Celtics.

June 10, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  11. NORA, FLORIDA

Rachel don't be like McCain and loose your bearings, this is exactly why folks need to come out and vote. Too many people died and fought hard for people to sit on their do nothings and not vote in November

June 10, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  12. Brian from Fort Mill, S.C.

I think what John McCain meant was that he'll veto all bills – and then drink a beer! 🙂

June 10, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  13. The Truth

This guy is obviously senile, he would be a great prez though......like 20 years ago!

June 10, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  14. Nick

Easy people, this is just funny, that's it. Lighten up already

June 10, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  15. jane in CA

Approve every single war instead.

June 10, 2008 11:15 am at 11:15 am |
  16. Anna

All if not Hillary then McCain are actually repubs, so dems dont get carried away by these jerks.

June 10, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  17. Eric

It is kind of funny but the fact is the gloabal warming bill would raise beer price 3 to 4 times which might cause me to veto beer...

June 10, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  18. Tom G

As Eve Harrington said in 'All About Eve', When you're a secretary in a brewery, it's pretty hard to make-believe you're anything else. Everything is beer. "

Eve McCain as our next president. Just what we deserve after not impeaching Bush.

June 10, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  19. shelly

Women protect your reproductive rights, Vote Obama!!!

June 10, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  20. Sanity '08

Obamabots, I really feel sorry for you and all your pent up anger. If you listen to the next clip of McCain speaking, you'll see a very presidential man who calls for civil discussions as Obamabots yell at him from the crowd. It's OK to disagree, but all this anger is not healthy. Let's actually hear what two people have to say about the direction of our country instead of making fun of misspeaks and goofy biking attire.

June 10, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  21. Scott, Wichita

This is funny, but it shows he's already thinking about what to have for dinner, which is the REAL important decision to make every day...

mmm, beer

June 10, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  22. Charlotte

I am an angry Clinton supporter who will write her name on my ballot. The choice between the two remaining, is infinitesimal, to me.

June 10, 2008 11:16 am at 11:16 am |
  23. Cindy in Boston

McCain is brain dead.

June 10, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  24. Anonymous

I really don't see why this old bird is running to be the President. He is just like his friend Bush.

June 10, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  25. NORA, FLORIDA

McCain is mispeaking alot these days. Is it the heat?? or the brain??

June 10, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |