June 10th, 2008

McCain: 'I will veto every single beer'

CNN

Watch McCain's comments Tuesday.

(CNN) - John McCain issued a promise Tuesday that may cause a bit of unrest with a broad swath of voters:

He'll veto every single beer?

In a slip of the tongue while railing against excessive earmarks at the National Small Business Summit in Washington, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee inadvertently pledged to veto the popular alcoholic beverage.

Watch McCain's slip of the tongue

"I will use the veto as needed. I will veto every single beer - bill with earmarks," he said, as rumblings from the crowd could be heard. "And every single bill that we have come across my desk I will make them famous. I will veto them, you will know their names."

It's not entirely surprising McCain has beer on the brain: his wife, Cindy, is heiress to her father's Arizona beer distribution company, Hensley and Company, one of the largest distributors in the U.S., for which she now serves as chairman.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Herman in LA

Some may think this is funny, well I got news for you all it takes is a slip of the push of the button and we could all be killed...

You better think twice about this man...

June 10, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  2. Anna, SW Missouri

If this election is about earmarks, then we are really idiots. Yes, there needs to be better monitoring of earmarks, and probably half of the earmarks are rediculous, but there are very good earmarks also. Earmarks are how our own Senators bring back money to our states that we have paid to the government. Many of them are for roads, bridges (not the bridge to nowhere kind), schools and universities, and hospitals. The funny part of all of this is that the Republicans grab more earmarks than the Democrats, so, in that respect, John is just trying to show he is a maverick. It would be nice if he explained that earmarks are a very tiny part of the budget and if he really wanted to be a maverick, he would quit embracing the Bush policies that have put us where we are today.

June 10, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  3. Ambrose Smith, Borrego Springs, California

That is why I usually enjoy German beer. U.S. Presidents have no power to VETO beers from abroad. Especially good German bier.

June 10, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  4. Tammy - KCMO

Well Jon Stewart should have fun with this guy in the upcoming months along with every other comedian hehe.

It will be like Bush never left office.

June 10, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  5. Seam, Florida

This guy is so stiff and mechanical in his delivery. He walks like a robot, and his jaws move like a puppet.

June 10, 2008 11:17 am at 11:17 am |
  6. Andre

Hmmmm....

Maybe John should not drink before speaking. I really wonder how much money AZ has benefited from McCain's votes or lobbying on bills with earmarks?

Sincerely,
    Not voting for another 4 years of the same old, same old!

June 10, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  7. K in CT

I have to admit – this election will have more "funny" snide jokes and remarks with these two "guys" than with Senator Clinton. Most women don't drink beer as a favorite beverage and are more articulate when they drink thier beverage of choice.

June 10, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  8. JB

First they take away the beer, then its the automatic rifles!

June 10, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  9. Obama supporter

It slipped, his mind was somewhere else. Let's not compare him to GWBush for this particular moment because this guy has actually accomplished something.That said. Next story.
    Can't wait to tape the riveting State of The Union Speeches by President Barack Hussein Obama! Get the popcorn!

June 10, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  10. Katie Cavanaugh

My god please don't vote for this idiot - he is as bad as the simean imbecile that sits in the oval office now. Can we really stand another four years embarrasment by a president that can't string four words into a meaningful sentance. Someone told me all Obama could do was give a decent speech, well even if that is all he can do (which I doubt) that puts him one up on either Bush or McSame.

June 10, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  11. sd

this is an insult for blue coller voters.

June 10, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  12. Veteran for McCain

So how many past presidential candidates have gone through their entire speech schedule without making some sort of mistake? ZERO!!!!! I'm actually pretty ashamed that I live in a country with some of you guy's, especially the way you are making fun of older people and the fact that you have no room for error.

McCain has my vote and Lord help us if Obama slips up!!!!

June 10, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  13. elmerg

Veto every beer? Well, I guess I won't be voting for John McSame, my friends...

Well, maybe he can veto Bud lite...

June 10, 2008 11:18 am at 11:18 am |
  14. Alice

As long as he doesn't veto wine.

June 10, 2008 11:19 am at 11:19 am |
  15. Mike Birmingham, AL

Can we regurgitate this slip of the tongue as much as people are repeating the "57 States" slip of the tongue?

June 10, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  16. Dawn

He doesn't like being married to beer money?

June 10, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  17. Donovan

They're reporting THIS GARBAGE and not IMPORTANT things like Kucinich's articles of impeachment? Why won't they report on Kucinich?!? I think someone introducing 35 articles of impeachment would be HUGE NEWS!!! Stupid corporate media ...

June 10, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  18. True Hillary Supporter for Obama

Don't vote for McCain, else our beer will be gone.
    He's losing his bearing.

June 10, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  19. Mar

Gee if I had a dime for every time NOBAMA made an error in his speaking I could fill up the gas tank in my SUV!!

June 10, 2008 11:20 am at 11:20 am |
  20. Debby

I thought it was a funny statement. hahaha

June 10, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  21. Tom

He just lost my vote!!!!!!!!!

To those jumping on this like it is major make sure you do it to O's 57 states also.

June 10, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  22. FALSE FRONTS

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOUR CORPORATE OWNED MEDIA SELECTS YOUR CFR MEMBERS ONLY CANDIDATES.

IF THE TROOPS WANTED MCAMNESTY FOR PRESIDENT THEN THEY SHOULDN'T HAVE GIVEN MORE DONATIONS TO RON PAUL THAN TO ALL OTHER CANDIDATES COMBINED...

THIS COUNTRY IS BEING DESTROYED BY THE MEDIA, THE CONGRESS AND OF COURSE, OUR OWN UNEDUCATED PUBLIC.

LAND OF THE SHEEP, HOME OF THE AFRAID.....

June 10, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  23. sylvia

a shame that this is so played up in the media along with Hillarys
    trip to bosnia and yet Mr God of the World Obama can mention 57states and never even get criticized!! Wow what a bunch of iodiots we have reporting the news...

June 10, 2008 11:21 am at 11:21 am |
  24. Sarah, Northern Colorado

OH NO, MCCAIN STUMBLED ON A WORD! WHATEVER SHALL WE DO????

This is far from news. Everyone slips on words here and there. It's called being human. Give the guy a break! If you're going to give McCain crap for something, do it for that dumb gas tax holiday, or his statements about staying in Iraq.

Or, if you're really hurting for news, go report on what is going on in Darfur. I'm sure there's some real news there.

And in case there are any doubts about my allegiences in the election, OBAMA '08!!!

June 10, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |
  25. Mike Birmingham, AL

If there was any doubt in anybody's mind that this guy is a Bush-clone, this should erase it.

June 10, 2008 11:22 am at 11:22 am |