June 10th, 2008

McCain: 'I will veto every single beer'

CNN

Watch McCain's comments Tuesday.

(CNN) - John McCain issued a promise Tuesday that may cause a bit of unrest with a broad swath of voters:

He'll veto every single beer?

In a slip of the tongue while railing against excessive earmarks at the National Small Business Summit in Washington, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee inadvertently pledged to veto the popular alcoholic beverage.

Watch McCain's slip of the tongue

"I will use the veto as needed. I will veto every single beer - bill with earmarks," he said, as rumblings from the crowd could be heard. "And every single bill that we have come across my desk I will make them famous. I will veto them, you will know their names."

It's not entirely surprising McCain has beer on the brain: his wife, Cindy, is heiress to her father's Arizona beer distribution company, Hensley and Company, one of the largest distributors in the U.S., for which she now serves as chairman.

Filed under: John McCain
  1. Ron L

Get ready America..The more we see of Senator McCain the more outakes there are going to be. We are going to find out that other than being a war veteran, a long time Senator, there is nothing exceptional about him. No offense, just facts.

June 10, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  2. DH

You all should be ashamed of yourselfs, i believe he has earned our respect, do not forget that he fought for us and paid a terrible price to defend us! I'M A Hillary supporter! and let me add this! he will have my vote! and millions of other Hillary supporters. You OBAMA supporters only see with your eyes! NO HEART AT ALL! And if you are the kind of people OBAMA attracts, Lord help us all!

McCain 08

June 10, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  3. Loretta from California

Man, good thing I can't afford beer. I guess the benefit of the doubt is out of the question now.

June 10, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  4. Renee

Where are the SEVERAL tickers that focuses on the HUGE number of Obama's gaffs?

June 10, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  5. McSame As Bush

John( Lost In Space) robot arms gives me the creeps. THE MAN IS NOT VERY GOOD TO LOOK AT I MUST SAY. He seem to be sinking fast from all of the preasure that is on him. I hate to say I told you so but I told you so. He is an old man and should not be running for president.

June 10, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  6. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

Wow, this guy is losing his memory and his speech. Way to go Old Man McSane, VOTE of War instead.

Obamanation '08

June 10, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  7. Doug

This is not surprising in that McCain is owned by his wife's beer company. He has suds on his mind.

June 10, 2008 11:28 am at 11:28 am |
  8. Jeff in Illinois

HOW DARE YOU?! LOL!

June 10, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  9. KRW

Do we want another 4 years with a president who speaks english as a second language.

June 10, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  10. Susan

If he takes my beer, I am moving to Canada.

Can this guy get through one speech without a misstatement of some nature? Wow, I simply cannot wait for the debates to begin.

June 10, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  11. Bob/NH

McSame/McBush/McSame/McBush...Neither wonder the poor old guy is confused...Can't wait for the town hall meetings...I think he's going to be sorry he pushed so hard for them.

June 10, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  12. anthony

Yes we can (drink beer)!!!

Obama 08

June 10, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  13. Mike Birmingham, AL

The RNC is paying bloggers to flood sites like this one with posts trying to get former Hillary supporters to switch sides.

Don't be fooled folks – McCain is against everything Hillary stands for.

Democrats '08

CNN POST THIS!

June 10, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  14. joel

Pretty silly stuff. Just as silly as the Republicans on this website posing as disgruntled Democrats. Grow up and lose in Nov. like big kids.
    Democrats unite!!! Save the country.

June 10, 2008 11:29 am at 11:29 am |
  15. Tommy Hussein in St. Louis

This is not a big deal. I certainly don't blame him for thinking about beer; he'll need some as the general election campaign heats up. Running for president is very stressful and there are a lot of things on candidates' minds.

Besides, who needs beer? I've got wine, puckers, margaritas, vodka, tequila, whiskey, ...
    🙂

June 10, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  16. Obama-Junkie, IL

Even though it is a slip of the tongue, it still amazes me that OLD MAN YELLS AT CLOUDS.

There is no mandatory age requirement for federal employees to retire, but there are limits on employees in special positions. For example, law enforcement officers and firefighters must retire at 57. For air traffic controllers, the mandatory age is 56.

How come we allow the President of the US (i.e. Commander-n-Chief of the world's most powerful military and Economic leader of the world's most powerful economy) to be over 67 years old?!?!?!?!

June 10, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  17. Eric

JOEL for hope June 10th, 2008 10:41 am ET

Good god there after my beer .It sad that i have to pay 4$ for gas put as a young vet after a hard day i like to have a cold one . i have to go a stash my beer some place safe .

***************************************************

Were you drinking when you wrote this?

June 10, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  18. American Media is Pathetic

How about we focus on what matters and not the small mistakes the candidates make during speeches. Thank you CNN for focusing your efforts on what truly matters!

And to "Seam, Florida" – Id like to see you after 5 1\2 years as a POW.

June 10, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  19. Seth

Look deep into your hearts people, past any hardened notions of partisanship, or disliking Democrats simply because you have for so long. John McCain is not suited to lead the most powerful nation in the world.

Obama is young, intelligent, clear-headed, eager and above all else has proven fantastic judgment. His plan, much like Abe Lincoln, is to fill his cabinet with members from both parties. He will choose the best people, not the best Democrats.

John McCain is going to stock the entire gov.t full of hard-line republicans that will continue to dismantle our social programs, overturn a woman's right to choose, keep the behemoth war machine rolling along, and eventually destroy our nation from within.

Don't do it.

June 10, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  20. anthony

If no beer from McCain, then Obama!!!

Obama 08

June 10, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  21. Tommy

I wonder what his wife Paris McBush thinks about that?

June 10, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  22. Sam Houston, GA

Can't Read.

Can't Speak.

Can lead a country?????

HAR HAR HAR HAR HAR

June 10, 2008 11:30 am at 11:30 am |
  23. marie

Greg

No one is saying it is the end of the world! Stop being so sensitive!This is one small article with a video clip of it. When Michelle Obama made her statement it was all over tv and everyone talked about it and wrote about it. You can really believe that anyone is covering this or making it out to be something terrible like they did with Michelle Obamas statement.

June 10, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  24. HomoSapien

I think he was trying to be funny.

You know – "Beer" translates to "Bill with Earmarks" – haha.

I don't think it was a slip of the tongue at all. It was a joke that fell flat. Very flat.

June 10, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |
  25. S.B.

You know, people with dementia, past strokes and early Alzheimer's disease use the wrong words that way......hmmmmm

June 10, 2008 11:31 am at 11:31 am |