June 10th, 2008

Obama switches prediction: now says it'll be Celtics in six

Obama rooting for the Celtics.
Obama rooting for the Celtics.

(CNN) – Presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama back-tracked on one campaign trail prediction Tuesday, switching his pick in this year’s NBA Finals.

“I tell you what, I thought the Lakers were the better team,” he told NPR’s All Things Considered, according to a transcript of an interview scheduled to air Tuesday night. “But the Celtics have been tough. I might have to revise my prediction here. I assumed Lakers in six. I don’t think that’s realistic now at this point…It does not look like it. It may be Celtics in six.”

The Celtics are leading the Lakers 2-0 in the best-of-seven NBA Finals.

The Illinois senator said that even though he had lived in Boston for several years as a student at Harvard Law School, “the truth is that I’ve got no dog in this hunt.”

“I’m a Bulls fan. We’ve gone through a drought for quite some time now. But we got the number-one draft pick, so our games may get a little bit better.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Franky

Let's go Celts! Let's go baby! Let's go! Show me the money....LOL!!

June 10, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  2. The Truth

that is what has come to be known as a "Flip -Flop"
    doesn't seem like much because it is a basketball game,
    but a Filp, and a Flop what is next?

June 10, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  3. Alisha(Independent voter) MN

Go Celtics!!! Obama you are starting to win over my heart...I love ESPN more than CNN :-D

June 10, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  4. martin

whatever obama says,i believe.everyone else in politics are blowhards.

June 10, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  5. Black Cat

I agree, Celts in six. But I've said this since Boston beat Detroit, a couple of weeks ago. Obviously he doesn't have money on the finals. You can't change your pick in the middle of the finals. It's like saying New England will win the Super Bowl and then changing your pick to New York with 5 minutes to go in the fourth.

June 10, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |
  6. Lori

Switching predictions?

It's no longer a prediction, Slick. Come on . . . you can do it . . . say "I was WRONG."

Typical.

June 10, 2008 05:37 pm at 5:37 pm |
  7. RB TX

And we are surprised why? Obama switches his opinion on issues every other day. The guy is a smoke and mirror politician saying one thing and doing another.

Do not be fooled by speeches.

Go McCain

June 10, 2008 05:38 pm at 5:38 pm |
  8. Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

WE LOVE OUR FUTURE PREZ.

HE HAS THE HABIT OF TELLING THE TRUTH.

BUT THE LAKERS WILL WIN!!!!

June 10, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  9. David Goldman for OBAMA

NOW YOU ARE TALKING.

I VOTED FOR YOU & WILL IN NOVEMBER.

BUT NOW WE HAVE ONE MORE THING IN COMMON.

GO BROTHER GO.

June 10, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  10. Michael

Ease up RB from Texas,

So you never thought a different team was going to win from the original one you picked in a 7 game series? Give us a break. You lose my friend.

former Hillary supporter

June 10, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  11. WOW

He switched! WOW what a shocker! The guy flip flops like a sunny on a dock.

June 10, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  12. Enlightened Voter

An all around guy! And a down to earth one too!

June 10, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  13. BS

RB TX,
    He switched his position because of facts on the ground. That's a bad thing? And please remember that it's only basketball.

June 10, 2008 05:49 pm at 5:49 pm |
  14. OBAMA PRO

Obama is really good is political prediction like Iraq war. Those things are distractive and let us hit the real issues like gas price, dollar inflation , energy etc......

June 10, 2008 05:50 pm at 5:50 pm |
  15. Impartial Jury

RB TX,
    Do your research, McCain is a habitual flip-flopper on almost every issue of importance, accept Iraq which is the one issue he should reverse on.

Don't be fooled by tenure, old age does not equate to wisdom. Bomob, bomb, bomb – Bomb, bomb Iran.

What a fool.

June 10, 2008 05:51 pm at 5:51 pm |
  16. Make Love Not War

Anti-Obama bloggers = Republicans
    If not Hillary, then McCain = Republicans posing as Democrats

DEMOCRATS UNITED IN 2008!!!!!

Obama 2008/2012

Peace and Love to All

June 10, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  17. McCain = No Growth Economy

Obama switches on issues? The real flipper is McCain.

Bush tax cuts – McCain switches.

Torture – McCain votes against setting guide lines to Army Handbook

Iraq War – From 100 year presence to 5 year presence.

Economy – "I know little about it" to "My opponent knows less than I do"

Cuts spending – yet willing to spend bililons in Iraq.

John McCain is trying to hoodwink people into believing that Obama is somehow a risk and naive, yet he wants to continue what got us into the recession and into war, and he'll be more than willing to go to war with Iran.

Obama isn't just a speech; try reading his policies. How is McCain going to pay for his big tax cuts (that, historically, have NEVER happened during a time of war. Wars hike taxes but increase industry, thus good for the eocnomy, but McCain won't understand that), and he wants to cut pork barrel spending which is .5% of the national budget, while Iraq is spending billions a day?

He was right to begin with; he knows little about the economy.

June 10, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  18. Independent (Ex-Democrat) in Iowa

who cares.

June 10, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  19. Alex

RB TX, is that the best you can find?

June 10, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  20. Anonymous

1. This is silly. Obama switches predictions? Undercurrent = Obama is a flip-flopper. What a transparent and meaningless post.

2. Caption says: "Obama rooting for the Celtics." Text says "Obama said, "I've got no dog in this fight."

3. Wow. This is asinine reporting

June 10, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  21. R.I.F.

...and the haters will start in 5..4..3...

The guys switched a basketball predication, not his stance on taxes. What sports fan doesn't go back and forth on predictions of games and series wen they don't have a horse in the race. I guess if we are using this as some kind of political indication then Hillary picking a horse that had to be put down after the Derby was not good either.

C'mon CNN. Sometimes I think you find these silly stories to write just so you can get people all riled up. How about you do a ticker abou McCain and who Phil Gramm who is helping him mold his economic policy.

June 10, 2008 05:57 pm at 5:57 pm |
  22. LOL

TO RB TX:

He was just talking sports like a normal American. Stop trying to over-analyze everything.

June 10, 2008 05:59 pm at 5:59 pm |
  23. Nick - Arlington, VA

RB TX – are you really going to try to apply his position on the NBA playoffs to the issues of the presidential race? lord.

June 10, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  24. William, from Cali

Look, the Lakers are like the DemocRATS...........the favorite at first, thats before the "Game" begun.......now. that their down 2-0, they must come up with "Something New"..................I say Boston in 4, their the "Best" team.............................sign: "A Student of the Game!"............

June 10, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |
  25. emily

why does this matter in politics?

June 10, 2008 06:00 pm at 6:00 pm |