June 10th, 2008

Obama switches prediction: now says it'll be Celtics in six

Obama rooting for the Celtics.
Obama rooting for the Celtics.

(CNN) – Presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama back-tracked on one campaign trail prediction Tuesday, switching his pick in this year’s NBA Finals.

“I tell you what, I thought the Lakers were the better team,” he told NPR’s All Things Considered, according to a transcript of an interview scheduled to air Tuesday night. “But the Celtics have been tough. I might have to revise my prediction here. I assumed Lakers in six. I don’t think that’s realistic now at this point…It does not look like it. It may be Celtics in six.”

The Celtics are leading the Lakers 2-0 in the best-of-seven NBA Finals.

The Illinois senator said that even though he had lived in Boston for several years as a student at Harvard Law School, “the truth is that I’ve got no dog in this hunt.”

“I’m a Bulls fan. We’ve gone through a drought for quite some time now. But we got the number-one draft pick, so our games may get a little bit better.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. MCD

RB TX
    You are an idiot, the entire media thought the Lakers had it in the bag, but Kobe and CO are giving the series away – hell and the refs aint helping.

I agree with Obama on this

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  2. Raul Dominguez

Now we can't even have water cooler talk about sports without reflecting on policy! Let's focus on facts and can CNN expand the discussion on the economy and, of course, the war in Iraq with people other than the SAME pundits. Thank you.

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  3. Mario

RB TX, better changing one's mind but being up-dated with the situation. McCain is still thinking that the Suns have a shot at it, that much he lives in the past!

Go Obama

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  4. 1st Mrs. McCain is the HERO

I believe in you Barack... and I think I will go place a bet..

Carol McCain – the real first lady...

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  5. JV

RB,

Good lord...lighten up.
    It's a basketball prediction.

Get over yourself.
    And your sad candidate.

June 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  6. Katrinka

Okay, RB TX, first you say Obama switches his opinions, and then you say do not be fooled by speeches. Huh?
    I say who cares what the candidates think about sports, anyway. Once again the press is pandering to the lowest IQ Americans.

June 10, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  7. M King, Dallas

Barack, I am supporter, but I don't support turning on L.A.! On that prediction, YOU LOSE!!

June 10, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  8. Victor in Saanich, B.C. Canada

Not exactly a political issue CNN!! Maybe Entertainment Tonight has some openings for you 'Newshounds'!!!

June 10, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  9. Anonymous

Come on. Don't tell me that if you had originally called the Lakers in 6 and saw the Celtics up 2-0, you wouldn't retract your prediction. The C's have it won. He's changing his views based on what's happening. He's adapting.

Plus, I think it would be awesome to have an avid sports fan in the White House. He's an everyday guy with everyday interests. McCain's old and out of touch. Obama knows what's up.

Obama could whoop McCain anyday on the basketball court. He's going to be winning states in November like he sinks jumpers on the court.

June 10, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  10. casanova

You mean .. Go McInsane!!!!! it looks like you have no family in iraq.

June 10, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  11. Rob

So totally predicable. I wonder what his spin will be if the Lakers manage to even the series or take the lead.
    "Well, I said I MIGHT have to revise my prediction- not that I actually DID revise it."
    If he can't even manage this trivial issue how can we trust him to run our country?

June 10, 2008 06:30 pm at 6:30 pm |
  12. Tjaye in LA

As a Laker fan, I must now reconsider my vote.

June 10, 2008 06:32 pm at 6:32 pm |
  13. Don in Florida

He's just having fun...lighten up. He's going to beat McCain like an old drum come November. Go Obama 08 & 12

June 10, 2008 06:33 pm at 6:33 pm |
  14. Tim

A Democrat flip-flopping on any kind of decision or stance is nothing new. I'm just surprised Obama didn't wait until the Finals were over before endorsing his favorite....sound familiar? Democrats will NEVER make a bold decision – which is why putting one in the White House is not good for our national security. Osama bin Ladin is alive and well today because of Bill Clinton's indecisiveness. Do the research and then try to challenge that statement.

June 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  15. Independent in MI

We should be surprised that Obama bends with the wind?

Hillary supporter for McCain.

June 10, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  16. ItsObvious

When asked for his prediction, John McCain fondly recalled the time he teased James Naismith about his new invention, telling him nobody would care about a game with a bunch of guys running up and down a court trying to put a ball into a vegetable basket.

"I guess James gets the last laugh," said the Arizona Senator.

June 10, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  17. Linda

Obama is just smart. He's the one that thinks!

June 10, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  18. Farrell, Houston, Tx

I'm a Lakers fan and have been for many years. But like you Obama, the Celtics may take L.A. Colby's got to step up his game.

June 10, 2008 06:37 pm at 6:37 pm |
  19. EDW

How many elitist's do you know that play B'ball? He isn't the one flying around in his millionaire wives' plane and he didn't loan his own campaign money (still in debt).

June 10, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  20. Richard

RB TX, you are quite possibliy the biggest fool I have been subject to today.

Are gas prices not high enough for you yet, FOOL?

I bet the only thing Mccain watches on TV is Murder She Wrote reruns.

June 10, 2008 06:38 pm at 6:38 pm |
  21. @everyamericans

McCain doesn't even have an opinion!...McCain is clueless! Does this old hag McBush have a clue what is really going on in America? or he just wants to bomb, bomb, bomb Iran!

McCain needs to move to Irak to be the president and continue the war there...since he cares more about Irak than the the suffering people of the good old U.S.A!

June 10, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  22. Yes we can!

you just lost my vote obama,,,,,sikes....i'm a kobe bryant fan, but you're wrong on this issue......

June 10, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  23. Charles

RB- you've got to be kidding me. We're talking about basketball of all things. Keep searching for anything to bring him down. Hope you're enjoying your Bush years with a war that never ends and $5 gas.
    Stay the course lemmings...

June 10, 2008 06:39 pm at 6:39 pm |
  24. give me a break

picking a NBA team and running this country do not even come close

June 10, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  25. Liz

RB TX: are you kidding? This is basketball–McBush OWNS the flip-flop title. Try to keep up!!!

June 10, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |