June 10th, 2008

Obama switches prediction: now says it'll be Celtics in six

Obama rooting for the Celtics.
Obama rooting for the Celtics.

(CNN) – Presumptive Democratic nominee Barack Obama back-tracked on one campaign trail prediction Tuesday, switching his pick in this year’s NBA Finals.

“I tell you what, I thought the Lakers were the better team,” he told NPR’s All Things Considered, according to a transcript of an interview scheduled to air Tuesday night. “But the Celtics have been tough. I might have to revise my prediction here. I assumed Lakers in six. I don’t think that’s realistic now at this point…It does not look like it. It may be Celtics in six.”

The Celtics are leading the Lakers 2-0 in the best-of-seven NBA Finals.

The Illinois senator said that even though he had lived in Boston for several years as a student at Harvard Law School, “the truth is that I’ve got no dog in this hunt.”

“I’m a Bulls fan. We’ve gone through a drought for quite some time now. But we got the number-one draft pick, so our games may get a little bit better.”

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. AP

Who cares?!?!? I'm a LOT more concerned with his ability to lead this country should he win than his pick for the NBA Finals. Can I get a little substance?

June 10, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  2. Nom Deplume

Not that I don't appreciate the support for our Celtics, but this guy makes John Kerry look like a decisive leader.

Are any New England states suddenly battleground???

June 10, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  3. Alex

Go McCain and Go Lakers!!!

June 10, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  4. David Buddingh in Naperville, IL

RB TX:

It's sports pal, give me a break.

June 10, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  5. hmmm

geez, as soon as I saw the headline I knew some nutter was going to post an Obama hater blog. So thank you RB TX for making me psychic. But CNN what's up with the headline? Why is this even something that should be on the ticker? I don't care who he picks in the NBA finals, the Eurocup, or Nascar. I care about the economy, Iraq (of which there seems to be absolutely no coverage of these days), the environment, etc. Do your job, CNN, and please post real news.

Vote the Issues 08!

June 10, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  6. Dustin

GO C'S!

June 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  7. mr. reality

RB you are comparing legislative decisions to a basketball game pick... WOW i hope Obama dosnt flip flop on what suit to wear tommorow.

June 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  8. Jay

You can create whatever image you want RB but this country demands change. We will not be silenced. You will see in November.

June 10, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  9. Mike Birmingham, AL

The RNC is paying bloggers to try and pull Clinton supporters over to McCain.

Don't listen to the same three or four people that flood the Ticker on a daily basis using different names – they are just paid hacks.

June 10, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  10. aaron from minneapolis

RB TX, really? What has he flip flopped on? I love it, you make false accusations with no facts to support your claim. Another republican for you folks.

June 10, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  11. Gregory H. Brooklyn New York

He's my guy, and America will be better when he's President Obama, but L.A. Lakers in six!!

June 10, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  12. He displays loyalty.....

That's right Obama stay loyal to your team; they probably will get better. I admire so many aspects of your character.

June 10, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  13. tj

You cant be serious, you take a playful prediction and spin it into the way he will govern.....Were we fooled by dr kings speeches, or kennedy's speeches, or lincoln's......Im an independent I like mccain, although he has switched positions also, i.e. (the war in iraq staying indef. to having a 5 year plan) but im reseaching obama with an unbiased eye. You should do the same.

June 10, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  14. unions are not stupid

ok and this is new why? least of all why is this in the political ticker and not the sports ticker? Come on CNN

hey RB TX no one is being fooled! you post is complete lies! like they all are why don't you try to read once in a while. If you post something that is bull it can be verified within about 2 min on useing Google!

June 10, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  15. John, Salt Lake City, UT

Personally, I appreciate a politician who is willing to re-evaluate a situation based on new data, rather than doggedly stick to his initial position and refuse to admit that perhaps he was wrong.

Even worse is to change positions purely for political reasons (e.g., McCain's "flip-flops" on the Bush tax cuts, conservative Christian religious leaders, and immigration).

June 10, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  16. Aaron

It's just a comment on the NBA Finals! He's not switching anything. He's just stating what's happening right now. He say he "MAY" say Celtics in 6.

McCain doesn't even know what he stands for. He's not the same person he was in 2000 and doesn't stand for the same ideas he did then. He's a say-anything-to-get-elected guy right now. He's the same opportunist he's always been.

June 10, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  17. Democrat in LA

Lakers had a lot of us fooled, especially here in LA. Their play in Boston was erratic and unpredictable– just as the rest of the series is likely to be. Boston looks like the better team now, but who knows?

Give Obama a break– he hasn't had any time to pay attention this season.

June 10, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  18. Mr Fix it (fixmaster33@yahoo.com)

RB TX

Get over your self. Can't the man be him self and enjoy the NBA tournaments without some ridiculous comments for haters like you?

Do you know that McShame said he will "VETO EVERY BEER BILLS " Oh sorry he meant to say....... what now.....
    I guess McShame think of beer all the time and he must have been drunk as well when he repeatedly confused the suni and the shiya (however way you wanna spelt it.

So before you post your comments on here again try to be sensible.

June 10, 2008 06:56 pm at 6:56 pm |
  19. Jay from the west

The Bulls.....esh ..sorry for ya Mr. President.

June 10, 2008 06:57 pm at 6:57 pm |
  20. Mal

RB TX: It's a basketball pick, not an item of national security. Relax.

June 10, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  21. Bob

Another flip flop by Obama. Says one thing to get the nomination and another once he has it.

June 10, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  22. Warrior

^Are you kidding me?

June 10, 2008 07:05 pm at 7:05 pm |
  23. Penelope

This is news why?

June 10, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  24. Loretta from California

Nice to see you having a bit of fun.

Oh by the way CNN, this was not the first time that Senator Obama shadowed a nurse. He worked as a home health aide also. So stop making it seem as though he is copying Senator Clinton when he isn't.

June 10, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  25. Robert

Figures that guy who made the comment is from Texas. "Don't be fooled by speeches"? At least Obama is smart enough to actually make a speech, check your facts on Obama's education vs. our current 'nukular' president. Its quite impressive knowing someone running for president actually graduated from Harvard and didnt ride in on daddy's shoulders.

June 10, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |