June 10th, 2008

Paul set to hold separate rally during Republican convention

(CNN) - Ron Paul, the Republican presidential candidate who has said he does not plan on backing John McCain, is planning on holding a day-long rally at the University of Minnesota during the same week the Republican Party is set to hold its convention in Minneapolis.

The news was first reported by the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. A spokesman for the university confirmed to CNN that Paul has “tentatively” booked the venue.

Paul and his legion of supporters disagree with McCain's support of the Iraq war.

Filed under: Ron Paul
  1. beverly

RON PAUL IS A GREAT POLITICIAN, I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN BUT I ADMIRER RON PAUL , I WATCH YOU IN YOUR DEBATES , HONESTLY YOU WOULD HAVE MADE A BETTER CANIDATE FOR THE PRESIDENT THEN THE WAR MONGEL MCCAIN, SEEMS AS HE HAS A GRUDGE FROM HIS DAYS IN (N A M ) HE'S A DANGEROUS MAN. I AM VOTING FOR OBAMA, HE SEEMS LIKE HE IS TRYING TO HEAL THE COUNTRY FROM HORRIBLE MISTAKES OF THE BUSH ADMINSTATION. HE WOULD LIKE TO GET THE COUNTRY BACK ON TRACK WITH OUR ALLIES, AND SOME SORT OF PEACE WITH OUR ENEMIES. ( GOD BLESS AMERICA).

June 10, 2008 09:45 pm at 9:45 pm |
  2. Remy

Who is this guy?

June 10, 2008 09:49 pm at 9:49 pm |
  3. George

The American people will again have an opportunity to learn how our Constitution translates in terms of public policy and issues of our day. Ron Paul is the leader of a movement to restore the Constitution and the Individual Rights in a country which has lost it's way. Contrast that with the words of a "flim-flam" man who promises to be all things to everyone, and compromiser who has betrayed his alleged values to political expediency, and the American public will be treated to a real Statesman – the kind we need – more than ever.

June 10, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  4. Phillip W

This is great news. With any luck, he will turn out to be a Ralph Nader for the Republicans.

June 10, 2008 09:51 pm at 9:51 pm |
  5. Vig

Bravo! And now write-in HRC's name on the November ballot.

June 10, 2008 09:53 pm at 9:53 pm |
  6. Walt, Belton,TX

A million thrown away votes and five bucks might get you a decent cup of coffee in New York City.

June 10, 2008 10:00 pm at 10:00 pm |
  7. Glad to be an Independent

Ron Paul has every right to hold a separate rally. He fundamentally disagrees with John McCain on the Iraq war. The Republicans during the Reagan era were against National Building. The Iraq war is National Building. The military is not designed to build a nation. The goal of a war is to win it and not to impose a democracy on three warring factions. Bring our troops home. Let the Iraqis figure out how to run their own country. Either they are tired of fight and want peace and democracy or they will continue to fight in a civil war.

June 10, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  8. Mark

Wow!
    I do not think neither Obama or McCain would sell themselves for a million (plus or minus) votes.
    Paul should be an independent candidate and ... take at the million votes with him home.

June 10, 2008 10:02 pm at 10:02 pm |
  9. tre

I'll be there!

We are going to prove to the world that the Republican primaries were a total sham!!!

Want real change? It's time for Americans to live the dream that our forefathers and ancestors sacrificed so much for...

RON PAUL 2008!!!

June 10, 2008 10:17 pm at 10:17 pm |
  10. Over Turn It Roe V Wade

Hillary supporters welcome to the right side. We will have a push this time to stop the MURDER of babies. Glad that you have seen the light and will vote McCain this time. Obama is for gay rights and we need to keep marrage between a MAN and a WOMAN. They want to uphold Roe V Wade but we will shoot it down now. It is my hope that with your help we can overturn some of this left wing stuff.
    Vote Life Vote McCain08

June 10, 2008 10:19 pm at 10:19 pm |
  11. Rave

I am sure Paul and his supporters are much wiser than the Hillary folks. Please support Obama in this race all of you.
    McCain is nothing but dumb talk... he needs some head repair.
    OBAMA (2008 -16)

June 10, 2008 10:22 pm at 10:22 pm |
  12. faye

ATTN———–ATTN——–O B A M A B O T S

follow ur candidate ,s message of one country and (fake) unity

he said “`umm uu uhhh republicans have good uh um ideas in past 10-15 ummm yrs“`

so pls come join us in our effort to elect a republican .

(We belive in unity and freedom of speech ,and we tryst obama on just only one and one thing which is his compliment on REPUBLICANS)

June 10, 2008 10:23 pm at 10:23 pm |
  13. Michael

Excuse me but Ron Paul disagrees with John McCain on quite a bit more than the war. Pick up a copy of his book and you'll be surprised at how much you agree with Dr. Paul.

June 10, 2008 10:24 pm at 10:24 pm |
  14. Chris Mau

I think it's clear that, in this century at least, the Democrats have been more the defenders of civil liberties than the offenders (although neither party has been willing to stick their necks out very far to defend liberty). Obama has been pretty forceful in his insistance on due process. I'd give him the edge over McCain.

June 10, 2008 10:27 pm at 10:27 pm |
  15. Independent Voter

I don't know a lot about Ron Paul, but one thing that registered with me was his apparent appeal to young voters – everybody under 30 is not an obama fan. Who Knew???

Reading about Jim Johnson and his cozy loan deal from Countrywide reminds of me Barack's back room house purchase with the help of recently convicted felon, Tony Rezko. Obama has some really sleazy friends!

Then I read Dems attacking their own again, first by recommending that the party in an unprecedented move actually refuse to help pay a losing candidate's campaign debt. If they do that, they'll have a lot less candidates willing to run next time. Who gets hurt by that? The voting public, of course, not the Dems!

Next the Dems are attacking Kucinick (sp?) for bringing a resolution to impeach Bush.Really nasty comments-read them here on CNN blog tonight. Odd, I think. What would serve them better than to run a campaign for Obama in the middle of Bush's trial? I've read all of these things on the various pages right here at CNN.

Oh, and also attacking a Dem representative who will not endorse Obama. I thought the Dems embraced a wide range of views. Jim Webb (VA) was a Republican until last year or so. Suddenly one dares to represent the views of his district, so they toss him under the bus. Wow! Lot of conservative Dems out there. The attitude I see here will drive them to Bush or Paul.

About Paul. How is he different from McCain, as they are both Republicans? I take it the Republican party is more inclusive than the Dems any more, since these two are both Reps and hold, I gather, very different views, and yet I see no one advocating tossing Paul under the bus.

Who would have thought the Reps would be more inclusive than the Dems after all the bleating and screeching I've been hearing from Dems, especially about anyone who does not take a loyalty oath to Obama on the spot. (They're getting more than a little weird with the Obama or you-can-drop-dead attitude, don't you think? A bit creepy now because it doesn't seem to be fading at all-actually getting worse every day.) Also, I notice a total lack of race and gender discrimination among those "backward" Reps. What' going on?

It all makes me