June 10th, 2008

Senator says Obama VP search team discussed 20 names

Obama's VP search is under way.
Obama's VP search is under way.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Illinois Sen. Barack Obama’s vice presidential vetting team discussed roughly 20 names with a senior Senate Democrat Tuesday, including some well-known options and others that are “outside the box.”

Sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota told CNN that some of those on the list are “top officials now,” others are “former lawmakers” and others are “former top military leaders.”

Conrad said Obama’s team wanted his impressions about the people on the list, including the respect they command and their “standing with their colleagues.” He termed their discussion “wide-ranging.”

Jim Johnson and Eric Holder, two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team, arrived on Capitol Hill Monday for several days of meetings with top Democrats, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Another Democratic senator, Dick Durbin of Illinois, a close Obama ally in the Senate, left the Capitol at noon on Tuesday saying he was headed off the Hill for a meeting with the search team.

Interactive: Who might be on Obama's VP shortlist?

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. B positive

Choosing an overqualified female to play second fiddle to an unqualified male? Hillary is too good to be VP!!! Leave her alone!

June 10, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  2. Heidi

LET THE VETTING BEGIN...AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T END WITH HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON OR ANY OF THE MANY FACES THAT SHOWED UP DURING THE PRIMARY.

THE POSSIBILITY OF SEN. OBAMA BECOMING PRESIDENT GIVES ME REASON TO...(you can fill this in with your own reason)

**Hillary supporters has the rest of this week to get her out of their system because the rest of the world is moving forward without them** I am sick of reading write Hillary in...vote Hillary...etc.

NEWS FLASH...SHE LOST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 10, 2008 02:01 pm at 2:01 pm |
  3. jan

to Mike, and Tara,

I am like you, voted for Hillary and in the general election, I am voting for McCain. I don't want hillary to be the VP, I know Obama will loose the general election without Hillary.

Hillary can get on the ticket for 2012.

GO HILLARY 2012.

June 10, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  4. LT in Texas

joe June 10th, 2008 1:56 pm ET

democrats for mccain now

democrats for mccain now

Wow, just WOW!!!

Both Clinton and Obama have very similar takes on the hot-button issues, but yu are willing to veer way to the right because your beloved candidate was outcampaigned and fundraised?

Go ahead and go to the dark side. Pres. Obama will still represent you!

June 10, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  5. Clinton or else

HILLARY CLINTON!!!!!

June 10, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  6. Hans

If he chooses Hillary, I'm voting McCain

June 10, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  7. Gail

I have been voting since 1972, and I don't mean just the presidential elections. I have never missed a general or primary election and I always vote in my local elections.

However, this year may be different because,

"NO HILLARY, NO VOTE IN NOVEMBER"

June 10, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  8. He'sSoFine

Exactly right !! Just like all the other collegues he knows. Glad no one judges me on some of my collegues (and you know who you are).

Sending you a 'pound' Barack and keep the pace – we are enjoying the ride immensely.

June 10, 2008 02:02 pm at 2:02 pm |
  9. Phil

I laugh when I read about all this speculation, and talk about this critical political decision. In the end who either McCain or Obama pick will hardy have an affect on the final vote it never.
    There seems to be a notion on this blog that the process he going thru is all part of his unique way of thinking. The process he is using is the way everyone on both sides of the pick a vp. In the end the pick can hurt more than it helps thats why he's going to pick a safe choice like Evan Bayh.
    Non descript safe choices are what good poiticans do, and yes Obama is a good politician. He's a unique canidate, different from the rest (other than his lack of experience) he's just another good politician. I mean that it a good way.

June 10, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  10. tom E

Want Obama to lose in Nov.? Keep bashing Hillary and her supporters. You need us to win. So stop the disrespect . Take us for granted at your own peril.

June 10, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  11. B

He will win with or without Hillary. He will win with or without Hillary supporters.

June 10, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  12. Isaac

Has anyone considered the idea of bringing in Colin Powell? I realize he is considered a republican and was even Bush's secretary of state (but he did everything in his power to remove himself from that mistake), but he is a very moderate republican and well thought of amongst most people in the country. It would be a risk for sure as he may lose some hardcore domocratic votes. But, consider what it would do for him with the moderates and independents.

June 10, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  13. Lauren Palmer

I hope that Hillary does not lower her values and virtues to run with Mr. Obama. It is a disgrace that this unqualified person is the democratic nominee–especially when we had the option of such a great candidate in Ms. Clinton. The rules were bent so much for Obama to win this nomination.Ms Clinton won the popular vote despite all the bias against her.I am sure that when Obama loses to McCain in November (this will be the first election I an my family will vote for a Republican) the Dems and media will blame it on Hillary–not their own ignorance for railroading her and picking a lesser candidate– for "dividing the party" or some such nonsense. I feel sorry for all you sheep who let the media decide who your vote will be for.
    Obama is made of of total spin– he has no substance and no plan. He is another George Bush, a fabric woven from the Karl Rove spin machine.
    –Another Democrat for McCain

June 10, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  14. Baracka O'Mami

General Wesley Clarke!!!!!

June 10, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  15. Kyle

Those Hillary supporters that will get behind McCain are absolute idiots. Plain and simple. Get over yourselves. You are casting a vote based on your personal feelings and have not yet matured enough... or maybe not yet used that part of your brain that understands the reality of the current situation in this country... and the future problems that come with another Republican president. Put your hatred for Obama and your sadness over "your Hillary" losing and get behind the Democratic party. It's not perfect and Obama is not perfect... but he is not Republican and he "could" be the direction this country needs. My word, could you Hillary supporters be that stupid. Really.

June 10, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  16. unqualified but AA

You are stuck with him now...
    so you better hope he picks someone who can help him to win and to lead.

June 10, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  17. ObamaSexy

I have a bad feeling that although Obama is extremely qualified and has won the contest fairly, Hillary and her supporters have hurt the spirit of the Democratic party with their insistance that she's the right candidate. She wanted the people to have their say and they did. Her supporters are more willing to have Bush the Third in office than to support Obama, which will destroy the party even further. If McCain wins behind Hillary's supporters, I'm leaving the Democratic party based on Clinton and Company's stupidity.

June 10, 2008 02:03 pm at 2:03 pm |
  18. Dem in NW

The race to the White House without Hillary Clinton is not exciting anymore. I cannot go and vote soley based on inspiring words.
    A lot more needs to be done to pursuade this democrat to participate in November.

June 10, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  19. Scot Pfaff

How about

Barak and Oprah
    VS
    John McCain and Ann Coultier

June 10, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  20. Mary

I really hope it's not Hillary (she scores too high in the negativity poll – i.e. people scored her highest among those that they would NEVER vote for) and I also hope it's not military.

I'd like to see Bill Richardson as VP. He already has lots of experience traveling around meeting world leaders.

June 10, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  21. SANAA

Ohio Voter

SORRY YOU CAN'T SPEAK FOR ALL OF OHIO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT YOU SHOULD SAY IS THAT ALL THE UNEDUCATED WILL NOT BE VOTING FOR HIM..................

June 10, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  22. TESAP

LaShanda.... I think we are.... I think we can............. LOL.....

We can make America be ready.................

As a black woman I would love it.........................It would show a united America...... and be a kick in the republikids behind..........

June 10, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  23. Jano

My husband and I are two democrats that will not vote for him if he DOES NOT choose Hillary. He will definitely need her expertise when he has none of his own for his 4 BIG YEARS in the senate. Of course, Caroline Kennedy's name was left off. She is a woman, isn't she?

June 10, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  24. Brian

For all you Hilary lovers. How can you want a women President, but decide to vote for McCain instead. You realize he is not a friend to women's rights. Your an idiot to cast your vote for McCain. How much did you pay to fill your car. It would be childish to vote for McCain, unless you are happy about war with Iraq an war #2 with Iran. You would be silly to vote for John McCain, unless you are happy that he has voted against equal pay laws.

That's right pick up your toys and go home. Better yet, think like an adult this is the most important election of our times. Don't play with it like some child.

June 10, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |
  25. kescia

I am so sick of reading about how "strong and courageous" Hillary is, and how she was sooo disrepected by the media. Strong and courageous women do not tolerate years of disrespect and public humiliation at the hands of their husbands or anyone. I used to be sympathetic towards Hillary when she was in the White House and news of one indiscretion after another came to light. Then when the Monica fiasco occurred I was repulsed that Bill could abuse the public trust with a young woman closer to his daughter's age than his wife's! His behavior is disrespectful to his own wife and daughter and women in general. I thought that once Bill was out of the White House that any woman as smart and confidents as Hillary would–as discretely as possible–divorce herself of this man if for no other reason than to set an example for Chelsea. What message does it send to our girls about self-respect and self-esteem?
    Hillary's achievement notwithstanding, I'll look for examples of courage and strength elsewhere.

June 10, 2008 02:04 pm at 2:04 pm |