June 10th, 2008

Senator says Obama VP search team discussed 20 names

Obama's VP search is under way.
Obama's VP search is under way.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Illinois Sen. Barack Obama’s vice presidential vetting team discussed roughly 20 names with a senior Senate Democrat Tuesday, including some well-known options and others that are “outside the box.”

Sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota told CNN that some of those on the list are “top officials now,” others are “former lawmakers” and others are “former top military leaders.”

Conrad said Obama’s team wanted his impressions about the people on the list, including the respect they command and their “standing with their colleagues.” He termed their discussion “wide-ranging.”

Jim Johnson and Eric Holder, two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team, arrived on Capitol Hill Monday for several days of meetings with top Democrats, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Another Democratic senator, Dick Durbin of Illinois, a close Obama ally in the Senate, left the Capitol at noon on Tuesday saying he was headed off the Hill for a meeting with the search team.

Interactive: Who might be on Obama's VP shortlist?

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. 301

Joe Lieberman would be interesting...
    No better way to show 'a new kind of politics' than picking a VP who has very opposite opinions.

June 10, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  2. ObamaMan2008

For those who want to vote for McBush out of spite if HRC is not on the ticket and wont be the nominee, please put your head before your emotions. Put it this way, the housing problem will only get worse, it will be YOUR family members (mine too) being shipped off to the occupation in Iraq (and who knows where else to be killed in the name of 'Freedom'), not to mention, how the unemployment rate will skyrocket... and those issues dont even scratch the surface of the problems we Americans are facing. HRC has no qualities of a leader, just someone who will stop at almost nothing to get their own personal agenda realized. Whether you want to believe it or not, at the end of the day, we are ALL in the same boat.

June 10, 2008 02:08 pm at 2:08 pm |
  3. Angela

Look at the polls, theres not much margin between McCain and Obama and the only one McCain was afraid of was Hillary. Whats that tell you, the only intelligent choice and chance of truly winning is Hillary as Obamas running mate.

June 10, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  4. T. Harrold

Can anyone answer the following question that has been haunting me during lo these many months of campaigning and, now, the aftermath: Whose was and is minding the store?....store being the duties and responsibilities that both Mr. Obama and Mrs. Clinton usually accomplish day to day as senators. How were they able to both run such a long campaign and do the work they were voted in to do?> It seems ironic especially relative to Mr. Obama that the very experience he supposedly does not have is further thwarted because he's been busy running around the country. My question and comment are with all due respect.

June 10, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  5. patrick

CLINTON VOTER BASE REMINDS ME OF THE KID WHO DOESNT GET PICKED IN A PICK UP GAME OF BASKETBALL SO HE TAKES HIS BALL AND GOES HOME SO NOBODY PLAYS.IT WAS POOR SPORTSMANSHIP THEN AND IS NOW GROW ALREADY!!

June 10, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  6. al

EDWARDS for VP. He may not likable but he has great things to say.

June 10, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  7. usleena

I am a Hillary fan and although I like Obama, I will not be participating in the general election and even if I did I will vote for Mc Cain as a sign of my protest. Hillary would have made a better president. Sure Obama will make a good president too, but I simply dont feel connected with him like I do with Hillary.

June 10, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  8. ExPat

If Obama does not choose Hillary I am voting for McCain! If Obama does not choose Hillary I will kiss a woman's right to choose, a couple's right to marry and possibly three seats on the Supreme Court goodbye. If Obama does not choose Hillary I am prepared to see my neighbor's job moved overseas, the richest get all the tax breaks and the country's infrastructure squandered at the expense of a foreign war. If Obama does not choose Hillary I am ready and willing to accept a government that caters only to special interests from any country and any corporation.

Please do not tell me I am a spoiled, spiteful self-centered baby -boomer. I am not. Can't be. I'm too educated.

June 10, 2008 02:09 pm at 2:09 pm |
  9. SUE IN CT

I think Joe Biden would complement the ticket very nicely – aged like fine wine – foreign policy expertise unmatched!

June 10, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  10. Debbie,NJ

Double dare. Lets see over 200 million voters. 18 million for Hillary (minus the PR votes because they can't vote in the GE, minus the Rep. votes and minus the true Dems.) and 18 million for Obama plus the true Dems, plus the REp who will switch parties, plus the new voters. I think we'll be ok. Listen up Hillary supporters. If you love Hillary so much then why didn't you support her financially?. Stop whining and help her where she needs you most. You can't help her with the primary, its over. You can't make Obama choose her as VP but you can help get her out of debt. If not what good are you. If Obama doesn't win because Dems stay home, vote for McCain or write in Hillary, you better bet she won't win in 2012. We will make sure of it. What goes around comes around, haven't you people learned that yet. Its the nasty tactics that made her lose the primary. Hopefully Hillary has learned and better tell her people if they want her to have a shot of winning in 2012 they better vote for Obama because for the simple fact that he is the Nominee and he's a Dem.

June 10, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  11. robin

If Ms. Clinton is not picked do not expect my vote.

June 10, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  12. Dave

Colin Powell. There's your national security and military expert.

June 10, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  13. Bookbinder

I would be very unhappy if Barak chooses Hillary. It would mean that he wasn't truthful when he said she represents the old way of doing business in Washington. Hillary would be MUCH more effective in one of these roles:

1. Supreme Court Justice (John Paul Stevens has been hanging on in spite of being in his 80s and ill, waiting for a Democratic president to replace him. Ruth Bader Ginsburg is also ailing. One of these will give his/her notice soon after Obama is inaugurated.

2. Senate Majority Leader: I understand that Harry Reid isn't very popular in the Senate. Obama will need her strength and skills in the Senate to get his proposals done, including the health insurance program. What better place for Hillary to demonstrate her talents?

Bookbinder

June 10, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  14. Thomas

I think Hillary should be in the White House ... as an intern for Obama.

June 10, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  15. anthony for hillary

it better be HRC or i'm outta here.

she deserves the presidency based on her experience but the media did her in due to their dislike of the clintons dating back 16 years ago.

if barack does not take HRC onto the ticket, he's toast come november. keep watching the polls folks. if he approachs the convention even or behind john mccain, HRC IS A SURE THING. he can't win without her.

this is not sour grapes (we know our candidate is the strongest of all three), this is reality setting in for barack's legions of college kids.

June 10, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  16. james

This is NOT a threat but a PROMISE.

This Hillary supporter will not vote for Obama no matter who the VP choice is. Hillary needs to stay as far away from this monster as possible. He will tarnish her.

Clinton supporters – HOLD to your guns and vote McCain '08 for Clinton '12.

We know what really happened in the caucuses and the media. We won't forget.
    Obama, NEVER.

June 10, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  17. Crush Rush

It will be Jim Webb.I love to watch each day now as Limbaugh and his pinheads see their life flash before their eyes.They twist and turn like worms trying to get off the hook.

June 10, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  18. The Clear Thinking Indepedent

Prior post was ....

********

Greg, NY June 10th, 2008 1:21 pm ET

I wonder if McCain even has a list yet. He had 4 extra months to start doing this type of stuff and when asked about how his search is going, he replied:

"We're going through a process where you get a whole bunch of names, and ya … Well, basically, it's a Google."

*******

Greg,

This is just that kind of baloney that finds it's way onto these boards, no?

PLEASE tell me McCain didn't say this. You made this up to slam him, right?

June 10, 2008 02:10 pm at 2:10 pm |
  19. Joe

I can see it now......Mccain comes out of the dark and wins this election.. Obama has gotten to cocky and cofident. I dont like niether one of the candidates and I wish Hillary didnt drop out.

I vote for Hillary or no one.

June 10, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  20. Marie

No Hillary = No Obama.

June 10, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  21. Dee from CT

I'm hoping for an Obama/Richardson ticket, but I'm sure he'll make the correct choice. Let's just hope he doesn't get talked into putting Hillary on the ticket.

Go President Obama!!!

June 10, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  22. Billy from Fl

Without Hillary on the ticket, Obama may as well dig his own grave.

Some of Sen.Clinton supportrs may vote for him if Hillary is VP,

but then again there are so many that will never vote for Obama.

June 10, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  23. katrina

If you are a true party representative, you must do whatever it takes to put the Democrats back in office. The party is divided, Clinton supporters are wounded and you must do what's best to mend this situation. Almost 50% of the Democrats in America supported Hillary.
    Please consider the impact of such a strong ticket. You and Clinton, together, we would all win.

June 10, 2008 02:11 pm at 2:11 pm |
  24. USAF Staff Sergeant

mike
    June 10th, 2008 1:25 pm ET

"If my Hillary is not one of them…I am voting for McCain."

Okay.. quit your whining. I'm sick and tired of this "blackmail" coming from Hillary supporters.

June 10, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |
  25. Debbie,NJ

wake up America. Haven't you noticed. You're losing your support for the hate Obama campaign. Have you ever heard of the saying if you can't beat them join them. All are welcomed.

June 10, 2008 02:12 pm at 2:12 pm |