June 10th, 2008

Senator says Obama VP search team discussed 20 names

Obama's VP search is under way.
Obama's VP search is under way.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Illinois Sen. Barack Obama’s vice presidential vetting team discussed roughly 20 names with a senior Senate Democrat Tuesday, including some well-known options and others that are “outside the box.”

Sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota told CNN that some of those on the list are “top officials now,” others are “former lawmakers” and others are “former top military leaders.”

Conrad said Obama’s team wanted his impressions about the people on the list, including the respect they command and their “standing with their colleagues.” He termed their discussion “wide-ranging.”

Jim Johnson and Eric Holder, two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team, arrived on Capitol Hill Monday for several days of meetings with top Democrats, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Another Democratic senator, Dick Durbin of Illinois, a close Obama ally in the Senate, left the Capitol at noon on Tuesday saying he was headed off the Hill for a meeting with the search team.

Interactive: Who might be on Obama's VP shortlist?

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Daniel from FL

I'm excited that Obama is going to be our 44th president!!

Personally I am routing for Jim Webb to be the VP pick, but I trust that Obama will make the best decision.

Oh and for all those disgruntled women who are threatening to vote for McCain, ya might wanna do a google search and read about what he did to his first wife, the mother of his three oldest children. Then tell me if this is someone who will be fair to women. At least Barack loves and respects his wife and daughters.

OBAMA/WEBB 2008!!

June 10, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  2. psychoeyore

I am beginning to wonder if a chunk of the posts on this thread from ostensible Clinton supporters threatening to vote for McSame are merely McSame operators stirring it up from the Same Old Express bus.

No one has mentioned Obama/Casey as possibility.

June 10, 2008 02:17 pm at 2:17 pm |
  3. heartlight 3, Maui, HI

I noticed that there are several comments here from people who appreciate that Obama keeps us informed of his process. For those who don't know, he did that all through his campaign. I signed on to his email list as soon as he announced, and throughout the campaign I received numerous emails informing me of things that happened in the campaign, directing me to videos of events, thanking me for support and requesting donations. I also signed up on Hillary's and Edwards' email lists. After a few months I began receiving a lot of emails from the Edwards campaign, but heard nothing from Hillary's campaign until after February when she started losing, and most of them were requesting donations. I appreciate being kept informed, and I hope he continues that when he is president. Transparency – how refreshing!

June 10, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  4. Suzanne Angioli

Hillary Clinton is the best for VP! Please do not try to patronize women by putting on second rate or even third rate other women politicians for VP. One absolute disastrous choice would be Bill Richardson....he is nothing but vindictive to the Clintons. He has an axe to grind and is quite childish in jumping on the anti Hillary bandwagon

June 10, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  5. New-Dem

Please don't respond to these 'If it's not Hillary I'm voting for McCain' idiots. They're not really Clinton supporters, they're republicans trying to split the party. Hillary's supporters are not dumb. They know the issues and the potential disasterous results of another 4 years of a republican White House.

Let's stick together and make sure that Barack Obama is taking the oath of office in January, or the next 4 years are going to be a rough time indeed.

June 10, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  6. Missy, South Carolina

Anybody but Hillary unless that is the last resort. Remember we get cranky Bill and will Hillary obey a Man as Commander in Chief other than Bill Clinton.

June 10, 2008 02:18 pm at 2:18 pm |
  7. Justfine

Voting for McCain because Hillary wasn't selected is an extremely childish move. While I think that selecting Hillary as VP may help to unite the party in the short term it will destroy it in the long term. Obama is preaching hope and change, Hillary is all about old school politics. Everyone says that Barack isn't experienced, but where has experience gotten us??? It has gotten us into an unending war, insurmountable debt , huge invasive government agencies, little care about the environment and a pathetic educational system. Barack is about change...and I think it is time for one!

June 10, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  8. Tom

Obama is going to lose the election no matter who is VP is, although he may have a chance with Clinton. Obama is nothing more than a self-serving, arrogant, inexperienced far left liberal who has serious judgment issues because he has 20 year close relationships with several radicals including, Wright, Pflegger, Ayes, Rezko, Mitchell Obama. I also learned a lot about the democratic party throughout the primary season and that is, it is they are very UNdemocratic party and too liberal for me. I will no longer call myself a democrat and will NOT support Barack Obama. I trust, admire, and feel much safer with John McCain in the white house during these very scary times in our nation and world. He has the judgment, character, and experience to effectively lead our country.

June 10, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  9. Samme

This LIFELONG DEMOCRAT will be voting McCain, no matter who he picks. Better 4 more years of Bush than Obama. At least we know what we are getting.

June 10, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  10. richard

"I'm tired of Clinton supporters threatening to taint the election if Clinton is not VP"
    FUNNY The election is already tainted,Since the dnc says my vote dont count lets see how you think you can win with out ME and all the others like me!

In the end you will TRY to blame everyone but the real culprits "yourselfs"
    On why McCain won.

June 10, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  11. Independent voter 2008

It's going to be a tough decision for me this coming election. I'm having a difficult decision deciding if i should vote for Obama or McCain. I don't like the current war, and McCain is for it. Obama is going to tax the heck out of people. I'm hoping that Obama will change my mine. He should pick Hillary Clinton as his VP. When he does that i can clearly vote for McCain. I can't trust a liar of a ticket "Hillary Clinton". If She's one the ticket there will be 2 liars, Clinton, and Obama for stressing change and picking Hillary as his running mate.

Obama and anyone but Hilllary or McCain

June 10, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  12. malabar

Hillary could cure cancer and still be hated by millions, however she's the one that has changed the world & will go down in history while the other 99.9% of us will not. I did not vote for Kerry in '04, and I currently have two choices this year- vote McCain or stay home

June 10, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  13. Erik on Wall St.

William above is right – great post! I too noticed that ol' Hill never tried to sway those folks that say they won't vote dem because ol' Hill is not on the ticket. It was so transparent, but the press did not pick up well on it. Good post William. Ol' Hill showing her true (windbag) colors again!

June 10, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  14. Floridaguy

To even have a chance to carry Florida, he needs Hillary on the ticket

June 10, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  15. Ray LaCour

Barrack will win regardless who he picks for VP. I detected a fabrication in Hilliary's delivery on her last speech. After watching her moves and motives during the long campaign, I dare to say that Barrack would be far better to select someone "out of the box."

June 10, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  16. Hillary '12

I hope Hillary's name is not in that list..

McCain '08

Hillary '12 .. !!

June 10, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  17. Mubasir Mundia

Chuck Hagel!!!!!!!!

June 10, 2008 02:19 pm at 2:19 pm |
  18. Gary Chandler in Canada

Even high schools elect VPs. Why doesn't America?

June 10, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  19. Jaz

"What happened to Caroline Kennedy? Was her nomination to the team symbolic?"

Caroline Kennedy is not even involved in politics. Not only was her selection symbolic, it was patronizing. Way to go Obama. It's as if you think you don't need advice from politically savvy, influential women on this issue. Apparently, you have learned nothing from your battle with Hillary. Hope it doesn't come back to bite you in November.

June 10, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  20. jane

ONCE AGAIN OBAMA LEAVES THE IMPORTANT DECISIONS TO SOMEONE ELSE. HE IGNORES THE OBVIOUS. THE AMERICAN PEOPLE HAVE SPOKEN AND HAVE SAID THEY WANT HILLARY FOR PRESIDENT AND SHE GOT MORE POPULAR VOTES.NOW THE SAME SUPPORTERS ARE SPEAKING AGAIN SAYING WE WANT HILLARY FOR VP AND AGAIN WE ARE BEING IGNORED. I KNOW SHE TOLD US TO SUPPORT HIM BUT HE HAS SHOWN SUCH A LACK OF RESPECT THAT IF SHE IS NOT ON THE TICKET A GREAT PERCENTAGE WILL VOTE FOR McCAIN. SHE CAN TAKE A HORSE TO WATER BUT WE ARE NOT DRINKING.HE LACKS EXPERIENCE BUT MORE IMPORTANT HE LACKS RESPECT FOR THE SAME PEOPLE HE WANTS TO VOTE FOR HIM.

June 10, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  21. bola

Hillary can get all she wants but the VP spot, we can not afford to have another clinton in the WH. I don't see it happening. who is foing to be ruling then? hillary, bill or obama himself?

June 10, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  22. Heidi

To: Mike June 10th, 2008 1:25pm

EVERY SINGLE DAY YOU ARE ON THE CNN'S BLOG STATING THAT YOU ARE VOTING FOR HILLARY OR MCCAIN. OKAY WE GET IT.

PERSONALLY I THINK YOU ARE MORE INTERESTED IN SEN. OBAMA BECAUSE YOU ARE ALWAYS UNDER HIS ARTICLES.

SO THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO KEEP REPEATING YOURSELF, LET ME HELP YOU.

ATTN: AMERICANS AND OUR FRIENDS ABOARD "MIKE IS NOT VOTING FOR SEN. OBAMA " gee...i hope that helps you mike. now on to more important matters.

OBAMA 08'

June 10, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  23. Veteran in Kansas

I am tired of Obama supporters that go out of their way to Bash the Clintons. You have done more to splitter the Democratic party than the rantings of Bill Clinton and John Dean combined. If it were a simple matter of not voting for the canidate with the most petty supporters I would have to vote for McCain.

Thank god we vote for the canidates not the idots that support them.

Obama/Clinton
    Obama/Edwards
    Obama/?????

Who cares, its Obama or 4 more years of stupidity.

June 10, 2008 02:20 pm at 2:20 pm |
  24. Oregon voter

Since the plan is to make a person President who has ZERO experience it had better be a wise choice.

June 10, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |
  25. Marie

Evan Bayh made it clear this morning that Hillary will continue to do wonderful things in the Senate.
    I believe that there is no doubt that she is not on this list at all.

As for me, I will not vote in November.

June 10, 2008 02:21 pm at 2:21 pm |