June 10th, 2008

Senator says Obama VP search team discussed 20 names

Obama's VP search is under way.
Obama's VP search is under way.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Illinois Sen. Barack Obama’s vice presidential vetting team discussed roughly 20 names with a senior Senate Democrat Tuesday, including some well-known options and others that are “outside the box.”

Sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota told CNN that some of those on the list are “top officials now,” others are “former lawmakers” and others are “former top military leaders.”

Conrad said Obama’s team wanted his impressions about the people on the list, including the respect they command and their “standing with their colleagues.” He termed their discussion “wide-ranging.”

Jim Johnson and Eric Holder, two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team, arrived on Capitol Hill Monday for several days of meetings with top Democrats, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Another Democratic senator, Dick Durbin of Illinois, a close Obama ally in the Senate, left the Capitol at noon on Tuesday saying he was headed off the Hill for a meeting with the search team.

Interactive: Who might be on Obama's VP shortlist?

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Letha, SD

Obama is already flip flopping on the issues and offering up money for votes. His VP search member has fingers in the mortgage melt down and all you Obamanation groupies are plain idiots. Do you never read the news or listen to what is REALLY happening?

June 10, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  2. li

Gas will be $6 a gallon but peoples worry about where is hillary next.....duh

what hillary done for this country? None ,only make her become multimillionaire and make china become powerfull with trade fiasco

June 10, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  3. left of center

Obama is TOO left of center for most of America.

He should have controlled his reckless desire to make history.

No help from this DEM in Nov.

Mine is a protest vote against the witch hunt we witnessed.

June 10, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  4. Indy

Sam Nunn.

I have a feeling that a lot of these "pick HRC or I'll take my ball and go home" posts are from repubs. There are good reasons why Obama won't pick HRC as his VP. They're the same reasons that HRC couldn't win the dem nomination, despite starting out with a huge logistical and financial advantage.

June 10, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  5. After further review,Texas

Joe Biden would be the most qualified but he cant help in the redneck states.

June 10, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  6. Penelope

Caroline Kennedy-yeah that's real change- another of the umpteen members of the family dynasty. Isn't there another Bush or Cheyney to round it out. She would add exactly what to the ticket? The qualificataion that her teenage daughter fell for the rock star?

June 10, 2008 01:46 pm at 1:46 pm |
  7. Margaret/South Carolina

The only thing Hillary can and will be to Obama is a stress inducer.

June 10, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  8. Douglas Rivero

We should kick out the South and those McCain/Clinton states out of the US. California, Washington, Oregon, and the Northeast and some parts of the Midwest can remain. The Republican states and their followers are anti-American. They take us to wars that hurt us, send our jobs to China, and violate all the principles established by our Founding Fathers. Time to kick Dixie out. You people can have your guns and religion and we shall have our education. Keep voting against your economic interests in the Confederacy! Not in the USA!

June 10, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  9. A Clear Thinking Indepedent

Senator –

You need someone ...

1.) you can trust & work with as a partner when you deem it appropriate.
    2.) that you can delegate tasks to, and be confident that they will get completed as you want them to be completed.
    3.) that can GUARANTEE you a huge state that you would not otherwise get.
    4.) ready to be president if something should happent to you
    5.) that mutes McCain's percieved wisdom, experience, and the superficiall allure of his POW status.
    6.) some that pulls white men in the south.
    7.) Smart enough and yet smooth enough to show up McCain and his running mate in the debates.
    8.) young enough to groom to succeed you in 8 years

June 10, 2008 01:47 pm at 1:47 pm |
  10. Debra

I think that McCain should pick Romney. Romney would be able to take over if something happened to McCain. I want my VP to be as qualified for President as much as the President.

Democratic ticket would be fools to consider anyone they wouldn't want as President also. Richards is a traitor. Pelosi is a bad joke. They both are extremely unpopular and would lose the election for Obama. Simply having a token female as VP is an insult to all Clinton supporters.

June 10, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  11. Joey

He will pick who ever he is told too. Maybe once Osama comes out of hiding, the two Muslims will be able to hang out together in the "WHITE" House. I am so bitter!!!!

June 10, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  12. Rus in St. Paul, MN

For Hillary, she could be deserving of it, but she may not get it because of Bill. He's been unwilling to release the names of donors to his presidential library and because of that, he may not get past the vetting process.

If Hillary isn't selected, it may not be Obamas fault, it may be Bill's.

June 10, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  13. Show the Hillarites the Door, Please

Dear Tara in Sarasota,

By all means, please do vote for McCain. But please, let's not hear you complaining when McCain screws over women on every front or one of your friends or relations come home from Iraq in a plastic bag.

Sincerely Yours,
    Someone with a brain

June 10, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  14. NY

If it is not Hillary,Obama will definitely lose.

He might as well choose Pastor Wright or the baggage queen Michele Obama if he doesn't choose Hillary.

Democrat's last chance to team up Hillary. Else, it's McCain all the way...

June 10, 2008 01:48 pm at 1:48 pm |
  15. juang

"It's Hillary or i vote for McCain" YADDA YADDA YADDA and NO ONE CARES!

Hillary has a fraud trial to worry about. She couldn't bail her campaign out of few million. She certainly can't fix our economy.

I agree that Obama has a wide range of potential candidates to pick from.

June 10, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  16. b black

NEWSFLASH "Obama/Powell" They are good friends!

June 10, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  17. Bill

I'm glad to hear he has selected so many possibilities for two reasons: (1) He just slapped 18,000,000 Hillary Supporters in the face with the shear volume of possibilities,and (2) It shows he is taking in to account that many will not voluntarily team up with such a radical liberal. His selecting that many possibilities shows he knows that , and is having trouble. He's hoping that, certainly ,one out of 20 will say yes!

June 10, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  18. Health Care First

I'm skeptical about it being Hillary. Her infant-minded supporters who vote like this is sports and not about issues have really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I feel sorry for her that she attracted such mental midgets.

But if she does get the VP, I'd still support them both the entire way because for me this is about health care, the economy, fuel, the environment, Iraq, Bin Laden (anyone remember him?)...

June 10, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  19. Quinn

Barack will make a wise choice.

Part of me wants Hillary and part of me doesn't. The only thing I know for sure is that he has to pick someone who brings A LOT to the ticket. He can't afford to waste time getting people to warm up to someone who is unknown (outside of their home state).

If polls show that an Obama/Clinton ticket is unstoppable, I say bring on Hillary. Democrats cannot afford to lose.

June 10, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  20. Rob - WA

Webb would be very good.

June 10, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  21. ObamaMan2008

"Obama!!" you are on point, as are many of the other commentators on this post. HRC is definitely NOT going to play No 2 (as if it's a bad thing). It's evident that she will want to do things her way. I agree that there are definitely better female qualified candidates than her. Her supporters act like she is the best thing since the discovery of fire. I am confident enough to say that she would be a VERY bad choice. Her attitude/behavior during her campaign is evidence of that.

June 10, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  22. fran

It's my vote and if not Hillary then I will not vote. I'm tired of the party taking my vote as a woman for granted. If they want to win it without us, then more power to them, but I refuse to just vote the party in spite of my disagreement with their choice. If the repulicans had not just stood in line and voted the party for Bush, maybe we wouldn't be in the mess we are in today.

Hillary for VP or I stay home.

June 10, 2008 01:49 pm at 1:49 pm |
  23. ypen bing

Obama / Chuck Hagel will be the best

June 10, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  24. Sandy

COME ON HILLARY SUPPORTERS...SNAP OUT OF IT! WE HAVE AN ELECTION TO WIN. WE HAVE A WAR TO END. WE HAVE AN ECONOMY TO FIX. WE HAVE HEALTH CARE TO PROVIDE.

WAKE UP! EITHER LEAD, FOLLOW, OR GET OUT OF THE WAY BECAUSE WE ARE GOING TO GET THIS DONE, BUT IT WILL BE MORE FUN IF YOU JOIN US!

June 10, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  25. California Voter

Hillary Clinton is the only VP than would cause me to even consider voting for Obama. I find it difficult to vote for someone that was a member of a black liberation church for 20 years and who had a pastor that preached hatred and racism and did not leave the church. Leaving it now just doesn't make it for me . . .take about pandering to the voters! Obama does not have the experience, the judgment, honesty and core values that I can support. If Hillary were on the ticket that would be the only way I could even consider voting for him.

June 10, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |