June 10th, 2008

Senator says Obama VP search team discussed 20 names

Obama's VP search is under way.
Obama's VP search is under way.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Illinois Sen. Barack Obama’s vice presidential vetting team discussed roughly 20 names with a senior Senate Democrat Tuesday, including some well-known options and others that are “outside the box.”

Sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota told CNN that some of those on the list are “top officials now,” others are “former lawmakers” and others are “former top military leaders.”

Conrad said Obama’s team wanted his impressions about the people on the list, including the respect they command and their “standing with their colleagues.” He termed their discussion “wide-ranging.”

Jim Johnson and Eric Holder, two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team, arrived on Capitol Hill Monday for several days of meetings with top Democrats, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Another Democratic senator, Dick Durbin of Illinois, a close Obama ally in the Senate, left the Capitol at noon on Tuesday saying he was headed off the Hill for a meeting with the search team.

Interactive: Who might be on Obama's VP shortlist?

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. carl

go Obama! handle your business! you are the one who has to deal with the VP that you chose...

the sore losers will get over it...and if not, let them immigrate....

June 10, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  2. nancy

There is a plethora of good canidtaes to choose from INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO Hilary Clinton..Joe Biden, John edwards, Al Gore, Evan Bayh

And its an important choice. Whether or not I vote for him will depend largely on that choice. I WILL NOT EVER VOTE FOR MCCAIN, but I have serious reservations about Senator Obama, the most concerning ones being his lack of experience, elitism and poor judgment. I am tired of votong (for the last several elections) AGAINST a ticket rather than FOR a ticket, or having to choose what I felt was the lesser of 2 evils. I am hoping to be able to vote FOR a ticket this time, but I need to be convinced.

Who he chooses for VP will give me an idea of who might make up the rest of an Obama administration, people with experience in foreign policy, economics, military matters, or more people like most of his staff, academics with no real political or governmental experience.

June 10, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  3. Health Care First

I'm skeptical about it being Hillary. Her infant-minded supporters who vote like this is sports and not about issues have really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I feel sorry for her that she attracted such mental midgets.

But if she does get the VP, I'd still support them both the entire way because for me this is about health care, the economy, fuel, the environment, Iraq, Bin Laden (anyone remember him? Hint... he wasn't from Iraq)...

June 10, 2008 01:50 pm at 1:50 pm |
  4. Mimi De La Cruz for OBAMA

GOOD LORD, A POLITICIAN, ACTUALLY DOING

THING THE RIGHT WAY. GO FIGURE!

June 10, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  5. jovana

It behoves me to understand why Caroline Kennedy has suddenly jumped into the political ageneda when she has spent her entire life avoiding politics and political matters. How much knowledge does she have on these possible candidates?

June 10, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  6. rylee

HILLARY CLINTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

June 10, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  7. Obama08 but...

Please not Hillary, I will not vote for Obama/Hillary. Richardson would be great for foreign policies and relations.

Why does CNN refuse to report on Ron Paul?????

Who owns CNN??????

Forever in moderation,
    Obama08 but.... go Ron Paul!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No drama if we had President Paul.

June 10, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  8. Health Care First

I feel sorry for her that she attracted such mental midgets.

June 10, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  9. Andy J, NY

Who cares if obama is "inclusive" and he has a committee and he is "oh so smart"... seriously, who cares?

None of that matters, because this guy is an elitist socialist who wants to redistribute wealth to people who haven't worked for it.

Say no to comrade Obama, Say no to socialism.

June 10, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  10. Gerry

yes, please pick Hillary Clinton.

The republicans already have Bosnia sniper fire, Columbian + China trade deal ads in the can. It would be a waste if they can't use them.

June 10, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  11. Bukky

All these REPUBLICANS on here screaming "Hillary or McCain" need to go tend to there sinking ship. Bush and sank your battleship and McCain is going down with the boat

June 10, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  12. Health Care First

I feel sorry for her that she attracted such mental midgets.

But if she does get the VP, I'd still support them both the entire way because for me this is about health care, the economy, fuel, the environment, Iraq, Bin Laden (anyone remember him?).....

June 10, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  13. Elly

I am positive Hillary is on the short list but I have complete faith in Senator Obama that he will choose a strong running mate who will
    balance out any weaknesses he may have
    I do not agree that Hillary will try to compromise him in any way if picked
    She is a smart political lady....she would know her place

June 10, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  14. Justine, Cincinnati

Jim Webb please!

June 10, 2008 01:51 pm at 1:51 pm |
  15. MTK

It doesn't matter who he picks. What we need is change and he is just a typical Washington politician who has no history of reaching across party lines. He's a big part of why congress' approval rating makes Bush's look peachy. McCain is not a typical Wash. politician. He actually goes for what he believes in and to get things done, he actually has a record of reaching across party lines. Obama just talks about it, rather than doing it. He's extremely liberal and will need to pick someone more moderate who can communicate with conservatives and independants and understands the constitution, and not say things about people "clinging to guns and religion." W/out that kind of a VP, Obama will never get conservatives to sway his way. Not just as a conservative independant, but as an American, I like my guns and my religious freedom. I also love the constitution.

June 10, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  16. A Clear Thinking Indepedent

It’s my personal opinion that Hillary shouldn’t be on the ticket ac Vice President, nor should she want to be. She has as much of an ego as any man and won’t be happy. The VP job is not one of great power … it doesn’t suit her skills or ambition.

The benefit Hillary & Bill would bring to Mr.Obama can be brought in alternate ways, including the Clinton family getting on a bus and crisscrossing the rural / Appalachia portions of Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Western Virginia AND West Virginia, Kentucky, Arkansas, Georgia and Florida for 4 months “Stumping” for the ticket.

This avoids any negatives Mrs. Clinton may have that could energize the opposition. (even her most ardent supporters, if they are honest with themselves, will have to admit that she would bring additional baggage.

We should all root for Mrs. Clinton to be the new Poverty Czar or Secretary of Health & Human Services.

This puts her often mentioned "Solutions" and Policy Wonk strengths to tangible use.

It also weds her future to that of Mr. Obama. In this way she will give 110% for the campaing and the American people.

June 10, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  17. Gipper, St. Ann, MO

Clinton supporters are just like Clinton herself, UNABLE TO LET IT GO! Just because you THINK she is the best candidate, does not make it so. I personally would like to see Governor Richardson on the ticket.

June 10, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  18. Tracie

One of these names should be Colin Powell. By now, I'm sure he's ready to switch sides for the greater good and end this war.

June 10, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  19. Hollywoodaholic

The best counter to McCain's "war" experience would be General Wesley Clarke, Jim Webb or Chuck Hagel. Men who fought on the ground during VietNam and are against the Iraq war would completely neutralize the pro-war stance of a man whose war experience was completely isolated from any evolution of thought about what the war was actually achieving.

June 10, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  20. silly obama fans

I JUST love the Obama supporters: 'anyone but Clinton'

Then... 'HRC supporters BETTER vote for Obama if they care about...blah blah blah.' and 'why won't HRC supporters vote for Obama... they are so similar'

Your hatred created this division, your hatred will prevent any unity.

June 10, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  21. Hannah

Hillary folks–please let it go. I liked her, too, but let's move forward now. My Aunt Fanny would be better than McCain.

June 10, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  22. Ed

Pelosi? Reid? Bill "Judas" Richardson? Good luck!

June 10, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  23. BL

THERE HAS BEEN ENOUGH INFORMATION TO FILL A LIBRARY ON OBAMA AND HIS REASONS FOR THE PRESIDENCY. WE HAVE BEEN WARNED ON ISSUES AND HOW HE FEELS AMERICA AND HIS TRUE CONNECTIONS WITH THE RADICAL MUSLIMS THAT THEIR MISSION IS TO BEHEAD ALL INFIDELS, AMERICANS, YOU PEOPLE WHO ARE SO GUNG HO TO BELEIVE HIS LIES, HE IS A MASTER MUNIPULATOR, HE RENOUNCES THE CONSTITUTION ADNYTHING AMERICAN, DO NO BE MISLED BY HIS SPEECHES FOR AMERICA FACES A DARK FUTURE, THE BIBLE SPEAKS IT MOSTLY, NOT ME, BEWARE, FEAR FOR YOUR CHILDREN, GRANDCHILDREN, HE CANNOT KEEP HIS PROMISES, AMERICA IS BECOMING SO IGNORANT AND DECEIVED, YOU WILL SEE, GOD HELP US ALL

June 10, 2008 01:52 pm at 1:52 pm |
  24. nate

Hillary ran her campaign to the best of her ability, and she lost. I am very tired of people threatening to vote Mccain out of spite. That is not rational, not logical, and not in keeping with what we, as Democrats, want for the future of the country. Don't get so tied to one candidate. I can honestly say if Hillary had won I would be voting for her. SHE DIDN"T WIN. THE RULES WERE CLEAR FROM THE OUTSET. Blame Mark Penn, blame Bill, blame whomever, but SHE DIDN"T WIN. They don't keep adding innings to baseball games until the team you want to win pulls it out.

June 10, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  25. Operation Chaos

And here comes Operation Chaos staff; Jan Fl, Brian TN, Jim PA, Staunch Clinton Supporter (get a life), Charlotte and the co-caption, Belle. Look at what these CLOWNS write on every blog. The same crap and they just about high five each other. This is directed at the coach of this team, Brian TN; NOT THIS TIME!!!

June 10, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |