June 10th, 2008

Senator says Obama VP search team discussed 20 names

Obama's VP search is under way.
Obama's VP search is under way.

WASHINGTON (CNN) - Illinois Sen. Barack Obama’s vice presidential vetting team discussed roughly 20 names with a senior Senate Democrat Tuesday, including some well-known options and others that are “outside the box.”

Sen. Kent Conrad of North Dakota told CNN that some of those on the list are “top officials now,” others are “former lawmakers” and others are “former top military leaders.”

Conrad said Obama’s team wanted his impressions about the people on the list, including the respect they command and their “standing with their colleagues.” He termed their discussion “wide-ranging.”

Jim Johnson and Eric Holder, two members of Obama’s vice presidential vetting team, arrived on Capitol Hill Monday for several days of meetings with top Democrats, including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid.

Another Democratic senator, Dick Durbin of Illinois, a close Obama ally in the Senate, left the Capitol at noon on Tuesday saying he was headed off the Hill for a meeting with the search team.

Interactive: Who might be on Obama's VP shortlist?

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
  1. Jackson

I agree. Obama/Sebelius.

June 10, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  2. AnaMaria

If we want to lose, HRC and Pres. Bill Clinton will help us achieve that goal. Consider their heavy bag (those of you who insist on having HRC as VP) will be enough for the Republicans to destroy our party. Why do you think they work so hard on getting Hillary elected? Because they liked her?

I am very proud we had two good choices and more proud that Obama was the one we elected. I would have voted for Senator Hillary if she would have ran the campaign not as a regular politician man but as herself. I must say, I like her new attitude but still have some trouble trusting her. Senator Obama will win with or without Senator Clinton. I bet you that.

June 10, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  3. Susan

Threatening for Hillary?
    Very nice. I agree she should be considered but if she's not chosen there is no way I would vote for McCain. The logic behind these statements is so convoluted. Are you a Democrat or are you a Hillary fan? Hillary is not a "cause" she was a candidate for President who if elected would have been the Democratic party representative in the highest executive office in the country. The Democratic party chose Barack Obama. Support your party, Hillary will be just fine.

June 10, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  4. fred m

How about Obama-Sarandon?

June 10, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  5. Jubilee

"If not Clinton, then I am voting for McCain." How does this kind of uneducated, ignorant, and superficial thought process make sense in anyone's head. If you support Clinton, support who she endorses. She has been explicit in her support of Obama. You are not hurting Obama by voting for McCain; you are hurting yourself and most definitely you are hurting Clinton!

Obama/Harry Reid, Obama/Richardson, Obama/Webb, Obama/Clinton...all would be a powerful force for change.

June 10, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  6. Jason

And tell me Veronica what experience would Caroline Kennedy have to be VP, just a name and nothing else. You Obama people are about the most ignorant I have seen in politics in years. As for Webb, Nunn and Bayh , none of them will bring their state with them, they will all go McCain in November regardless. The only win for Dems was Clinton at the top and that boat has sailed, so settle in for a few years of McCain. He'll lose his mind like Reagan did in a couple and Cindy will be the new Prez! So you see we'll get our female Prez after all!!!!

June 10, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  7. Lisa

I can't wait to laugh at all you dumb Obama supporters when he loses. I am a democrat and I have decided not to vote this election. Both candidates are idiots! All you young college folk who haven't worked for a living are supporting Obama. I hate to tell you but he isn't Jesus Christ..

June 10, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  8. b black

obama/powell 08!

June 10, 2008 01:53 pm at 1:53 pm |
  9. Vince Fede

Obama no matter who you pick you wil still lose. This country
    will not tolerate voting an uber liberal into the white house such as yourself. You and your wife should start making arangements to stay
    at Wright's million dollar mansion come November.

McCain 08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

June 10, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  10. Health Care First

I'm skeptical about it being Hillary. Her infant-minded supporters who vote like this is sports and not about issues have really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I feel sorry for her that she attracted such mental midgets.

But if she does get the VP, I'd still support them both the entire way because for me this is about health care, the economy, fuel, the environment, Iraq, Bin Laden (anyone remember him?)..

June 10, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  11. JJ in NY

anybody but hillary !

June 10, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  12. DW

You Hillary supporters can't push Hillary onto the ticket because Barack is not going to stand for it. He's NO PUSH OVER!! So, with that said, Barack will use he's intelligence to choose his running mate.

So, Move On Barack!!!!!! I'm so PROUD of you.

June 10, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  13. m

No Obma for President. My cat is more honest.

June 10, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  14. Mark

Why not give the list? Why is it a secret?

June 10, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  15. Kiah

Obama '08!

YES WE CAN
    YES WE DID
    YES WE WILL

June 10, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  16. florida

Barack Obama/Robert Wexler '08

Whose with me Wexler for VP. Lets set up a website to draft Robert Wexler for VP. It would be a great choice. Come on whose with me Obama/Wexler ;08.

June 10, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  17. Tim

Yes Obama is a smart man...he can vote present. Is 20 too many? I don't think we should over tax his mental capabilities.

June 10, 2008 01:54 pm at 1:54 pm |
  18. scott

Why does he have to float names out. I thought the man made all the right decisions and now he's going to poll his vice president choice. This guy is way over his head and McCain will expose him as the empty suit as soon as he has to defend himself without a teleprompter.

June 10, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  19. John, Las Vegas, NV

Gee, any chance this is just "feel good" politics to make the 20 people on the list feel important, when realistically it should only be about 5 people?
    If Obama hasn't mentally narrowed his choices now to just a few people he would like to work with and has confidence in (which is the key thing for him in making HIS decision who he wants), then something is wrong with his decision making ability.

June 10, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  20. Jeremy

Hillary ot Not, I have already changed to a McCainocrat. Obama is unelectable!

June 10, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  21. terry

It doesn't matter who he picks. He will go down in flames in November.

June 10, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  22. Phil in KC

Hillary supporters – get over it. Besides, who says she wants the VP slot? Perhaps Barack has already offered her the first Supreme Court Justice slot that opens up. Wouldn't that be a better place for her? Might she not prefer that over VP? Or maybe a cabinet position where she could hone her international skills for a future run, say 8 years from now? Think about it.
    As for Caroline Kennedy, she is 1/3 of the selection committee and, unlike Cheney, I don't think she'll be nominating herself. Besides, she has no direct political experience, just indirect experience through her family. I like Caroline; I just don't think she is one of those being vetted.

June 10, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  23. Health Care First

I feel sorry for her that she attracted such mental midgets.

But if she does get the VP, I'd still support them both the entire way because for me this is about health care, the economy, fuel, the environment, Iraq, Bin Laden.. (anyone remember him?)...

June 10, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  24. James in Kamiah

My personal favorites are Jim Webb, John Edwards, Donna Brazile, Wes Clarke, Al Gore, Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton. I would admire him for picking any one of them.

Jim Webb and Wes Clark for their Obvious Military Experience, along with their abilities to connect with people in a frank and considerate fashion, not to mention the fact that the idea of being soft on defense and terrorism would be right out the window, Donna Brazile for her ability to keep a level head, and her emotions in check even when faced with commentary from the extreme right or left [I think of her as a more conservative democrat without being the stereotypical conservative] and her overall knowledge of politics and public relations makes her an excellent option especially in a more traditional vice presidential role, and Clinton, Edwards, Biden, Gore, and Webb all have their records to speak for them on representing the interests of the public at large.

He's going to have to take into account whether they will do more for the people as VP or if they will do better in their current roles. Frankly, I think Clinton would do better as the Senate Majority leader, and she and Edwards [Since he has already stated a disinterest in the job] can really get the word out about Poverty, Healthcare, Education, and Proper use of American taxpayer tax money. Gore can do what he does best at this point, which is focus on Green Issues and work with the house and Senate on redistributing taxpayer funds to green technologies to ween us off of foreign sources of fuel and goods. All in all, with such seasoned and honest representation [not to be confused with Bushlike experience] I don't see much of a problem.

We have to get back to putting this country back on the correct path again since we strayed so obnoxiously over the past 8 years.

June 10, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |
  25. Double dare

18 million folks aren't bluffing.

Choose Clinton or the Democrats will lose.

Make your FIRST "presidential" decision, Senator Obama.

But guess what? You can't vote *PRESENT*!

June 10, 2008 01:55 pm at 1:55 pm |