June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. George

the democratic party is in turmoil...if they keep on making statements like those made by Rep. Dan Boren, John Macain will be the next president of the united States... get a grip democrats!

2. Sig, Los Angeles CA

Well, don't vote for him at the convention either! Come out and say you're for McCain – and we don't forget when Obama is elected in November. Don't you worry.

3. CA Guy

Deb in AZ. I think you should read more carefully. There is a difference between endorsing and someones person choice in the election booth. Also I think you are reading into why these representatives are not endorsing someone. No where in the article did he mention that Obama "doesnt know where he is going to take this country." That is your plain speculation.

4. Mar in calif

I agree 100% he does not have to vote for a man who lacks experience, and who doesn't have a plan. I am glad that not all democrats are so blind. I will not vote for Obama at all. I am an American first, and a democrat (soon to be independent) SECOND. THE DNC IT'S NOT GOING TO TELL ME WHO SHOULD I VOTE FOR.

5. No More Clintons, CA

What kind of will of the people? 100%? 51%? 5%?

He sounds like a punch bag who will never get anything meanful done in his life.

6. To Deb in AZ

It's people like "U" that would ruin the changes for the Dem in the fall. This party needs to be united so if your not supporting the democrats then just say your supporting the Rep party.

We don't need dem bashing each other or are you one of those Rep posing as a Dem just to keep the party seperated? Huh!!

7. @everyamericans

I hope yall get mcbush and wish this country can be better...mccaincan't even read off of a telepromter. what a shame?!

8. lewis frank

Well two comment's we defitnitely know where McBush will take us back too, WAR. More importantly and a reflection of the short sightedness of the respected Oklahoma legislator,, How? does the next Presideent Obama act or vote in a bi-partisan way,, when his whole career in the Senate occurred during the Bush presidency. Was Bush bi-partisan? Perhaps if more individuals voted like President Obama, we would not be in the current domestic economic and international political malaise that we are now confronted with. At least the next President Obama has the fortitude to accept and overcome, unlike others who prefer to burry their heads and react to a situation too late. It is not consistent with contemporary larger needs not to support him. Perhaps Oklahoma will be remebered as a community that does not support progress and change. Hopefully Borens constituents will provide him with the appropriate incentives to endorse the next President Obama

re-establish liberty and ensure domestic tranquiltiy vote for Obama.

9. DTOR

I can bet this man wont be serving another term. CNN this is something I would see on Fox News. Get this out of here!

10. chris from Oregon

And Deb, you think McCain knows where he is taking the country. The way he gaffes evry other day, I don't think McCain even knows what he might next say. Lol!

11. Karen Nakamura

I am so sick of hearing about the terrible misogyny Hillary Clinton suffered. I was in on the origins of the modern feminist movement and am a political junkie. I saw very little of it.
    But her constant racist inuendo not only turned her off to much of the black community (not to talk about equally horrified white voters), her constant attempts to bend the rules and the vote was against everything we democrats stand for.
    The fight was fair and square and she lost. Drop it.
    Karen

12. Obama For President

So He Was Republican And Now He Is Democrat Thats Turning Republican?

13. Barbara

I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST READ THAT. MY GOD. WHAT HAPPEN TO
    LEADERSHIP? YOU ARE VOTING AGAINST SOMEONE BECAUSE FOR AND BECAUSE OF THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE, REGARDLESS.
    WHAT ABOUT WHAT IS BETTER FOR THE COUNTRY? WHAT ABOUT YOUR PRINCIPALS? JUST WHAT DO YOU STAND FOR?
    YOU WOULD VOTE FOR JOHN MCCAIN AFTER SEEING AND KNOWING JUST WHERE HE WANTS TO TAKE OUR COUNTRY?
    YOU DON'T BELONG IN ANY LEADERSHIP POSITION PERIOD. JUST WHERE IS YOUR OWN RESOURCES, INTEGRITY AND ABILITY TO MAKE DECISIONS. BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE, THERE IS TOO MUCH HATE IN AMERICA AND DUMB WEAKNESS, SO PLAY IT SAFE, SEE WHERE THAT WILL GET YOU. NADA

14. Linden

This guy knows his job is in trouble... He has to save himself in very red Oklahoma. But I think he may regret this decision as Obama becomes even more popular, even among Republicans (with his emphasis on fiscal responsibility.)

15. Mike

"Thank You" Dan!!!!

NOBama!!

16. Hmm

what a douche bag – he thinks McCain is better on the issues of the economy and the war? These close minded conservatives are ripping this country apart.

17. Loretta from California

This is so sad. Senator McCain has no idea where to take this country. He admitted to not knowing how to deal with our economy.

I do not agree that Senator Obama will not work with other Democrats or Republicans to solve the problems that are facing our nation today. This nation that we all love.

Especially since he is already working with other Democrats.

No, I find deeper meaning in these words from Sen. Dan Boran. I see a man that lacks courage.

June 10, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  18. arlene hayles

I don't understand the difference between vote at the convention and endorsement...Mr. Boren ????? you are still voting for Obama...just wanted 25 mins of spotlight..this decision should be between you and Obama. As for Demo. Mr. Mahoney you have a major problem with unity..and you are just racist...can't accept that a Black man is on the top of the ticket... and boycotting the convention a spoiled baby.

This country is not going change ...no matter if Obama win the election...there are majority of White people still want to be superior over another race...and hate to see a black man rise to the occasion.

God is watching, the world is watching and people are praying for America...This election has open the hearts of the Black and white issue...we are seeing true hearts of people. Have MERCY on America!!!!!! this my prayers...Mercy...WE need Help!

June 10, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  19. Bill Tx

I don't really understand how this could help a congressman in an election. He has said, I will not endorse Obama...I think he does not stand for bipartisanship...but I will vote for him. I don't think this would help him come his election time, because it appears that he doesn't stand for anything. He would have been better off not saying anything one way or the other. If you are reflecting the will of your people and you think that the majority of the people reflect Obama and Clinton's views, then you should endorse Obama or not say anything. As I don't believe OK is a major Dem battleground, it is of no consequence, I just don't see how this could help a congressman in his own election.

June 10, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  20. Chris - Hemet, Ca.

Sounds like he wants the best of both worlds. Follow the will of his constituents so he can get reelected while trying to satisfy the Democratic party. Typical politician.

June 10, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  21. SICK OF OBAMA

Thank you..finally someone standing up with guts and saying NO to Obama. This democrat is voting McCain in November.

June 10, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  22. Sten, CA

It is the vote that counts.

June 10, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  23. Irishspaceonk

This guy is a Republican trojan horse, a scum in disguise.

June 10, 2008 06:01 pm at 6:01 pm |
  24. Christiaan, Norman, OK

Hooray!!! Another reason for Oklahoma to make the news in the worst way possible...Leave it to us to show just how utterly backwards and narrow-minded we are as a state.

Rep. Boren needs to read his father's book "A Letter to America" and join him in endorsing the only true leader we've seen in this election.

June 10, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |
  25. Sam Houston, GA

You're right Deb – McCain hasn't a clue – wink wink wink wink

My friends my friends blah blah blah

June 10, 2008 06:02 pm at 6:02 pm |