June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. This is sad

Deb – seriously? First of all, you didn't read the article correctly - he says that he will in fact vote for Obama because of the "serious trouble" the country is facing. How is not endorsing him but voting for him "reflecting the will of the people who elected him"? He is apparently just doing this to thwart the Dem's chances of winning? Which doesn't make much sense if he is going to vote for Obama anyway. This seems to me to be a plea for attention – my hope is it will backfire and he will be FIRED (i.e., his voters will get RID of him).

June 10, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  2. IB in SD

How on earth can anyone trust this "official" who is speaking from every possible angle. I won't endores him, but I will vote for him at the convention.
    Why not take a stand and skip it! Or possibly just convert to become a Republican.
    I can understand doing what he needs to do in terms of representing his constituents. But this story seems strange overall.

June 10, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  3. Do I have Stupid Written On My Face!

Read between the lines people. Four more years of Bush/McCain (Children dying abroad/High Gas Prices/Slumping Job Market/Foreclosures.... etc, etc). Let's stay focused on the issues and make a change to America more respectable overseas as we once were!

Get your mind right – "deb in az"

June 10, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  4. Ken

Big woop CNN, why doesn't you do some of this same hard probing journalism on McCain?

You know, the guy with all of the lobbyists running his campaign, the guy who is trying to skirt FEC rules?

I guess CNN likes the BBQ at Huggy Bear's ranch so we won't see these type of stories on McCain.

June 10, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  5. Dismayed

Nothing to do with him being Black (is it?)

June 10, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  6. Andrew

LOL! That IS an endorsement. He said he will cast his vote for Obama at the Convention – that's the endorsement. All superdel's who have endorsed Obama have said, "I will cast my ballot for Obama at the Convention."

This guy is an idiot – I just think he wants attention.

June 10, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  7. Atlian

So why are these people in the Democratice party? And if he votes for Obama at the convention how is that representing his constituents?

June 10, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  8. Dele

This looks like a confused Rep. He said he will not endorse Obama, but he will vote for him at the convention. He said Obama is the most liberal democrat, but he will vote for him in convention and not endorse him. I won't be surprised if he chooses not to vote for Obama in the general election.
    Please just say you won't vote for a black man and stop hiding your true color!
    what you say makes no sense.

June 10, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  9. Bryan

Obama isn't even that liberal. No more liberal than Hillary Clinton, for sure. Anyone who thinks he is needs to look at the policies, not his image.

As a true liberal, I support Obama but would prefer somebody like Mike Gravel or Dennis Kucinich.

June 10, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  10. Robert

My message to him is that the world is changing and he cannot longer t put his conservsative side into politics. I believe Barack Obama is just working for the people of the United States of America. Conservatives usually mix politics and religion. Both should be separeted.
    So vote Barack because he has the heart to see for each americans, poor, rich, black, hispanics, gays and lesbians etc. Aren't we all living is this country and just for a second mix politicis an religion. Aren't we created by God too?

June 10, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  11. Mike

Smart Choice!

June 10, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  12. tom

um deb in az have you been living under a rock?

obama has been quite specific on where he plans to take this country and it is a much better place than Bush took us and McCain would leave us .

June 10, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  13. Cindy

I'm surprised but pleased. I'm an Oklahoman, and our state was won handily by Hillary Clinton. Former US Senator David Boren, who is Congressman Boren's father and a Democratic super-delegate announced that he would endorse Obama, despite the will of the people as expressed by the primary voters. Good for the younger Boren - he does understand that he represents us not supercedes us.

June 10, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  14. Craig T

He will be remembered......

June 10, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  15. tommy perkins (no fake name)

That's right and the people voted for Obama. This behind the fence racism is bull. We all know in our hearts this economy cannot take another self serving republican. And this comes from a republican that helped put the Bush admin in office twice. But when the republican party made it known that they thought we were a bunch of ignorant people who should fend for themselves that was the last draw. I have a family to raise and hopefully in the best America possible. But with a government that caters to to countries like china and sent our jobs to Canada and Mexico. And tells our people at the same time that the housing problem is our fault cause we were careless. But at the same time giving the people who made the bad loans billions of dollars. At the same time same social programs are to expensive. But at the same time fight a war that we are borrowing money from countries that don't even like us. You know maybe we ought to just ship them there. Hey has anyone tried giving peace a chance. And if every republican backs the war so much why won't McCain make some of his pack of children go to war. I know this is a democracy. But anyone who would vote for the republican this year. No matter what has got to have issues. Every day when I go to work I cringe as put gas in my car. But at the same time I get a smile and goose bumps. Knowing by the time the election comes around 5 dollars a gallon is going the drive the Republicans right out of the white house.

June 10, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  16. erica

so why can't he endorse obama if he's going to vote for him?

June 10, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  17. Eddie for HRC

Way to go! See what DNC did to this Party? They have annointed a weak, bipartisan, inexperienced Intern to lead the Party! This is just the beginning of our laughter, all the 18 Million of us, maligned & thrown out of the bus. This includes the CNN, MSNBC people as well!

The first day Obama loses, we shall arise again to nominate the best candidate ever-- HILLARY CLINTON for 2012!

June 10, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  18. Obama 4 President

drod June 10th, 2008 6:05 pm ET

Finally…a democrat with some integrity.

why?

cause he won't endorse the democrat who won the most states? the popular vote? the most delegates and superdelegates?

yep lots of integrity there

June 10, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  19. greg

Very strange Mr OKIE! very strange!!

greg

June 10, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  20. Bernard

Ok, is his 15 minutes over yet?

June 10, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  21. oklahoma is for potato heads

Well i hope the DNC or the Congressional Caccus doesnt fund his campaign...

June 10, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  22. Alicia

ALL THE REPUBLICANS ARE STILL BLOGGING I SEE....AND SOME DID NOT ENDORSE HILLARY OR MCBUSH. AND?

June 10, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  23. True Democrat

This is what I call moral principle

June 10, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  24. Marty

Sorry, you will not be re-elected.

June 10, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  25. Hillary '12

No Hillary as Obama's V.P.

McCain '08.!