June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. okie

I live in Oklahoma and our democrat gov. is the best one we've had in a long long time. But, sorry to say, most people here are a little on the simple side and should not be allowed to decide for themselves. they know nothing of government.

June 10, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  2. Leo - Arizona

Very unwise to go on CNN with this; especially if he wants unity for the party ... or does he? Regardless of how he feels or which candidate he supports, this is a weak move and can only harm his future within the Democratic Party.

June 10, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  3. Ty

what???? Hope you dont get invited to the convention!

June 10, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  4. Janet

Dumb guy. Anything to be in the news.

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  5. New Life

What does more conservative mean? Is this a white thing?
    Maybe he should turn repub, some team player, true unity..hmph

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  6. TRUTH

yea drod, you couldnt be more correct, the right side of the isle isn't full of liars, chickenhawks, greed machines, and people who pretend to pray to collect votes of the illinformed. This official is watching his own behind and not his people's, and lying in the same token. If a report gathered by CNN, Obama is actually the 42nd most liberal senator. Hm, is the number 43 the same as number 1? Democrats = Democracy. Obama 08'

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  7. G

"But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces."

This is the most important part. If you're going to stand up and go against your party than do it! But don't say one thing and mean another!

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  8. stiles

Why am I not shocked. Any reason is better than none to some people.

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  9. Steve

Notwithstanding the comments from deb in az and drod, who are obviously Republicans I don't criticize considering the opinions of one's constituents, there comes a time where an elected official needs to lead, not only follow. It's time to be a leader Mr. Boren and explain to your constituents the important issues that face our nation and the impact of who sits in the White House.

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  10. Matt from L.A.

A pox on his house! :-)

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  11. Mark

I sure hope this "Democrat" gets no DNC support. It's one thing not to support Obama. It's another to roll out the right-wing talking points to justify your unprincipled stance.

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  12. Kim

I am orginally from Oklahoma and I am not suprised that his "constinuency" is not open to changing the status quo, and moving the country forward..

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  13. Anthony, Baltimore, MD

Wait a minute, didn't Boren's father, a former United States Senator from Oklahoma, endorse Obama? And so did the current governor of Oklahoma...what makes this congressman think he alone speaks for the people of Oklahoma? What a joke.

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  14. w.l. jones

I smell a rat?

June 10, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  15. erica

deb in az have you been to his website for barack plans,

even if you don't agree, there's clearly a plan

June 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  16. HavingFun

I have never ever heard of this guy before !!

June 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  17. David

He'll vote for him, but not endorse him? Ah, politics. No worries, Obama will win in November, with or without Boren's endorsement.

June 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  18. Thomas

In other words, Boren is not going to endorse for Obama because he knows that he himelf would be voted out of office at the next election. But, he is going to vote for him at the convention?!?! Yeah, that makes sense. What a wimpy weasel Boren is!

June 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  19. Parker

Nancy Pelosi said 18 months ago that with the Dems in charge America would be in for a change. No more business as usual. $4.00 gas, food prices sky high, goods and services out of sight. You are right Nancy, we have never had it like this and the Democratic congress can take full credit. Yahoo, four more years and I do not mean more Bush.

June 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  20. Don in Florida

That's his prerogative. The interesting thing that he said is that he's still going to vote for Obama. After all Boren IS a politician. I'm sure there are many more republicans not going to vote for McCain. I'm still waiting to see a republican admit that Bush took this country in the wrong direction. At least Obama will listen to his advisors before making presidential decisions. That's what a president should do, not just listen to those who agree with him. The republicans really screwed this one up.

June 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  21. obomom

Good for you Dan. I hope Obama remembers this when he is president!

June 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  22. OregonMan

If Boren is *that* conservative then why stay a Democrat and why not switch to being a Republican?

June 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  23. tai

im going to call him lieberman #2, so pathetic

June 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  24. Jim Richmond

This guy has far more integrity than Obama. Obama is supporting the windfall tax on oil companies, a suggestion made by Hillary. He ridiculed Hillary over that issue. Hypocrites, we don't need in the White House although we had many.

June 10, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  25. Katrinka

I do respect very much Boren's desire to represent those who voted him into office. But...

I think if the voters in his area really studied the comparison of the proposals of both candidates without knowing whose was whose, 9 times out of 10 they'd pick Obama's plan.

I've tested this on my parents, friends, and even grandparents as well my grandparents friends. They were not all happy with their results clearly showing that they should vote for Obama, and probably still will choose to vote for McCain.

Leaves me to wonder.