June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. Amy

Yea right.. he is just protecting himself... why say you will not endorse him but you are still going to vote for him...

If he publically says he's voting for Obama isn't that an endorsement.

His people should be outraged! He is staddling the political fence... vote him out.

June 10, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  2. Leisa

He is an idiot! and obviously not a true democrat....let the other party win! They should boot him from the party. And yes....I am a CLINTON supporter.

June 10, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  3. Ry

I couldnt agree with you more (drod).

June 10, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  4. LIZ KEESEE/oklahoma

Hats off to an Okie who represents his constituents! I'm proud of you..

June 10, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  5. jt

Living in the south I understand the good ole boy additude, and wish that It would not exsist but this is the world that we live in. All the way to the white house.

Obama 08

June 10, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  6. Nik

You'll vote for him, but won't endorse him? Way to stick to your guns. Anyway, still better than a bitter Hillary supporter.

June 10, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  7. mack in oklahoma

it's not that we're much more conservative, what he means is we're much more racist. not all of us of course. and doing what's popular does not mean that you have integrity

June 10, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  8. dave desmond

What a stupid racist, envious and jealous idiot, Boren, Obama does not need your vote, nor your constituency to win!

June 10, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  9. bkil

I am an Obama supporter, but I agree with the congressman's position. He has to vote the will of his constituents. He's an honest man – honest with himself and the people who elected him to office.
    I am quite impressed with this guy.

June 10, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  10. Anita from Arizona

Well, at least he's not a flip flopper. I'll give him that.

June 10, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  11. Leah DiMarco, Texas

Mr. Boren, what the heck is the matter with you not giving your support to our Democratic nominee. I think you have just written your own political obituary! Obama/Sebelius '08

June 10, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  12. Sam

Dan who?

June 10, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  13. Kay

See the Republicans are still blogging on here.

Moderator only lets the Obama 'hate' blogs get through!

I guess writing CNN would help?

June 10, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  14. Denver Dem

I agree with him siding with his constituants. But I seriously doubt the down trodden people of Oklahoma want to see where McShame will take this country as stated on the ticker " But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

This should be how everyone votes come November, not what party you like, not your moral beliefs, but people should vote for the best interest of their families.

John Mcain, could care less about the American family shown by his lack of economic knowledge. He could care less about the troops, shown by his lack of support for any of the GI Bills in the last ten years.
    All he wants is to further turn America into a country exactly the same as Mexico.

For these reason Vote Obama 2008

June 10, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  15. calvincito

Constituents bull. This is about his own hide.

June 10, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  16. It is 2008

I am sure this congressman would like to tie Mr. Obama to the back of his truck and tow him for miles like they do it in Oklahoma. Tell it like it is; you hate him for who he is.

June 10, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  17. Nia

P.S. Whay are they talking out of both sides of thier mouth, why not just not support at all at the end of the road?

June 10, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  18. Marie

Finally, a man who thinks for himself and does not just follow along with the rest of the lemmings. He's actually looking at Obama's pitiful record, what a novel idea!

June 10, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  19. Louis

What a hypocritical moron–he will vote for Obama but not endorse him? Say what? With congressman like this, no wonder are country is in such a mess. God help us.

June 10, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  20. Marlie

Exactly!!! The will of the people was not heard or followed. HRC should be the nominee and I dont see the party coming together. I dont want Barack and wont vote for him. I hope he falls and falls big time. This democrate is either voting for HRC or John McCain....sorry NOBAMA!!!

HILLARY 2012!!!!

June 10, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  21. I used to be a Democrat

More Democrats need to take a stand like this.

June 10, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  22. jimmy velman

WATCH FOR CONGRESSWOMAN LORETTA SANCHEZ A RISING STAR IN DEMOCRATIC POLITICS TO DEFEAT SEN. BOXER FOR THE SENATE. AND WATCH MAYOR VILLARAIGOSA AS THE NEXT GOVERNOR... BOTH WERE AND ARE STRONG DEMOCRATIC SUPPORTERS OF THE CLINTONS. LATINOS ARE UNITED FROM CALIFORNIA THRU TEXAS AND FLORIDA.. ADD THOSE TO PUERTO RICO'S POPULATION IN NEW TORK., THE JEWISH VOTE
    WILL VOTE MCCAIN , JOE LIEBERMAN IS ALREADY LEADING THE CHARGE OF A RELENTLESS BRIGADE AND MANY ARE HILLARY CLINTON SUPPORTERS.

June 10, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  23. Jaime

Dan Who?

June 10, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  24. Independent in MI

Finally – someone that fhasn't consumed the koolaid.

June 10, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  25. Robert

In simple terms, why dont you just admit you're a republican puppet...who cares about your vote anyway....

June 10, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |