June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. The O

Is this Joe Liebermans illegitimate son or what????
    I guess he won't be getting any help from the DNC come election time!!!!!

BARACK / SEBELIUS 08

BARACK THE VOTE!!!!!!!!

June 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  2. DEX

Plain stupid, I won't endorse him but I will vote for him because our country needs him. Sounds a little bit personal, have you thought that maybe you are in the wrong party.

Stop party crashing Borron

June 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  3. Obama lover

Takes a lot of nerve to call a large demographic stupid, uneducated, ignorant, moronic, redneck inbred cousins, racist and moronic....

And then think that they will see you as the Messiah and vote for you after you were pissed on and spit on.

Go Obama.

That arrogance is what I love.

June 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  4. sharon

Way to go Dan Boren. You have a lot of integrity, strength and commen sense.

June 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  5. v

RED ALERT!!!!!!!!!!! Wolves in sheep clothing. RED ALERT!!!!!!

June 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  6. Ike

This is dissappointing. I wsh you kept your urgly thougt to yourself at this time the democratic party is begining to unite. So go and vote for mccain, others will vote for Obama and by His grace Obama will win big in November.

June 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  7. The Corp

Finally a man on "that" side of the aisle who makes some sense. Very commendable! Save America – NoBama 08/NoBama's Ever

June 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  8. Minority Too

Republican, media and Democratic left splitters and conspirators picked Obama over Clinton is for him to lose. He could even not win all the states Kerry won in 2004 with 251 votes, how could he win the general election. What a joke.

June 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  9. undacova brotha

WE SHOULD MARCH ON THIS RACIST, BIGOTED OKIE–HOW CAN HE CALL HIMSELF A DEMOCRAT WHEN HE WON'T ENDORSE THE PARTY'S NOMINEE? ONLY A RACIST WOULD REFUSE THE PARTY'S CALL. HE SHOULD BE STRIPPED OF HIS SEAT.

June 10, 2008 06:34 pm at 6:34 pm |
  10. Larry Buchas

He's merely representing his racist constituents. Good show, coward!

June 10, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  11. Tawanda Bell

deb in az and drod. Why would anyone vote for McCain other than it being racially motivated. Although we have made a big turn around in the US, I believe that people who are not bright for change will vote for old man McCain. I feel sorry for the people who think Obama does not know what he is doing. Anytime he is asked a question, he answers it with intellect and to the point. I hope one day the people who is prejudice will judge a person by their character and not their color.

June 10, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  12. TMan

I don't agree with a lot of the policies of the traditional Democratic liberal platform. Positions on homosexuals, abortion and so on, however when forced to choose between bad and worse the choice is clear. Do we trust in our words; "Hope lies in the future and the future lies in our youth".

Obama and a new generation

Tman

June 10, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  13. Former BO & Dem Supporter

Speak the truth...the Democratic party has been hijacked by extreme liberals, Marxists and anti-American types to prop up their Manchurian candidate BO. Moderates need not apply. I'm headed to the moderate Republican...John McCain, who now more closely represents my values. I would rather have an experienced person direct a nation at war, not a naive, inexperienced person who is obviously in over his head. McCain Democrats...has a nice ring to it.

June 10, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  14. MdGirl4Obama

So... this man speaks for ALL of OK? That's absurd, and speaks of some 'other' force... you're a democrat, for goodness sake!

June 10, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  15. carl c

To me hes just another "wanna be dem" with no party loyalty

June 10, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  16. Nt

What a fool !!! I'm sure he will lose his seat soon and later on he will need Obama.

June 10, 2008 06:35 pm at 6:35 pm |
  17. Charles

Mmmm, smells like a Republican plant to me. The right wing is flat out terrified of Obama and will do everything in their power to keep a black man from taking away their Washington power. It's gonna get ugly folks. Let's rise above it!!!

June 10, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  18. Motov8n

" Don't hate the Player, Hate the game". BTW, Boren, you should run with Cain. Your district is "Third World" and a Tossed Salad. " The same people who put Bush in office for a second term.

June 10, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  19. Brian

I've always said Hillary is more electable among the demographics that we need to perform in to win. Well, guess it doesn't matter now. Dem 2008, whoever it is.

June 10, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  20. Obama!!

What a tool.

Hey Drod – integrity has nothing to do with it. He wants some airtime, and this is a sure way to get it, if only for 15 minutes. Oklahoma would NEVER vote Democrat in the fall, so it really doesn't matter. He's just trying to get re-elected in a conservative state with few Democratic politicians.

I'd do the same if I was in his shoes.

I am a "middle of the road" Democrat, but I would take "liberal" over anything the Republicans offer. Bush proved that NeoCon politics are BAD for the United States, and bad for the rest of the world. A dose of liberal politics will be a breath of fresh air and is just what we need to restore our country to its pre-Bush status.

June 10, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  21. Vote McCain '08

Jimmy Velman – try sticking to the topics being discussed.

June 10, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  22. Jay

Seeing as Oklahoma is already heavily McCain I fail to see why anyone should care what this guy (or the people who elected him) think.

June 10, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  23. heather

why is this a story? who cares about this guy?

June 10, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  24. PROUD WHITE FEMALE VOTING FOR OBAMA

Oh Please. The DNC needs to throw them out the party.

June 10, 2008 06:36 pm at 6:36 pm |
  25. Mike in Calgary

Enlightened or not, poor team player or not, Boren is entitled to his opinion, and he is accountable for it. Too bad he didn't better splain his position.

Mike