June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. Mike Birmingham, AL

The RNC is paying bloggers to try and pull Clinton supporters over to McCain.

Don't listen to the same three or four people that flood the Ticker on a daily basis using different names – they are just paid hacks.

June 10, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  2. Julie

I have nothing but praise for Don Boren – he listened to his constituents, unlike the governor from my own state of New Mexico, Richardson, who completely ignored his voters. Good for you, Mr. Boren – you'll go far in your career because your "bread and butter" voters will get you there.

June 10, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  3. bco

Dear Jimmy,

Joe Lieberman lost his primary race for he Democratic Senate nomination in Connecticut. Hillary agreed with everyone else not to participate in the Florida and Michigan primaries because those states violated crystal clear calendar rules.

Leaving any other considerations aside, these are not the kind of people I want in government. This is precisely the kind of person that we have had at the helm of our government for the last 7 years.

Rules are rules, laws are laws. The rest is rationalization and lawlessness.

June 10, 2008 06:40 pm at 6:40 pm |
  4. Nic

Wait, who is this guy again, and why should I care he won't endorse Obama?

June 10, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  5. Walt

This is so funny. Like I have said before and I will say it again. I don't care who people vote for, that is their business. But, I just want to see people on this site and in real life, admit that race is an issue for you.

I just want to hear these people admit that they will not support a black man. Don't give me this liberal vs conservative crap.

And, Mahoney, stay home, in fact just do a Leiberman, we undestand!! Trust me, we do.

June 10, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  6. Tip of the iceberg

The Defection from the Phantom of the Oprah begins.

Count me in.

I will literally vote AGAINST OBAMA.

My choice- the best, is gone.

I don't like second best.

June 10, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  7. JPM

McCain is a sexist. He doesn't respect women. He insulted his wife calling her a name that is repulsive. He abandoned his first wife because he was fooling around.

June 10, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  8. Sam

Read Revelations Obama fits all the criteria to be the Anti-Christ and it is time for all of us Democrats to take heed. NO NO OBAMA !!!

June 10, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  9. Bubba

Hannah is a HWW. One of Hillary's Whinning Women.

June 10, 2008 06:41 pm at 6:41 pm |
  10. O'donovan

What a crazy guy. Who wants your vote. Keep it and shove it into your R.....
    I am sure you have lots of interest in us paying $4.00 a gallon. Why do you have to bring more division at this time? Aren't you saying the country is in trouble? We have to take our country back from these Neocons. I am Hillary support and I will make sure Obama gets my vote and contributions. I simply don't want another Neocon throwing our country from a cliff.
    People, think right and put a democrat in the office. I was republican before I went to Clinton and now I'm going for a democrat. The course of our country must be changed.

Cnn, post this pls.

June 10, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  11. shundee

Who is this freshman senator? Never heard of him. Seems he has an axe to grind. Unity???????

June 10, 2008 06:42 pm at 6:42 pm |
  12. darrell

I call BS, he is just looking out for his political career. This is typical political posturing. Oklahoma is a very conservative state, of course he won't endorse Obama if he wants to get elected again.

June 10, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  13. Becky

This kind of votes don't count, Liberal? who lives in OK? what are you saying? that the rest of us are?? go away please!! Endorse MC bush then

June 10, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  14. TheONE

CAN YOU SAY BIGOT!!!!!!!!!!! "I've got to reflect my district" that hogwash. That's an excuse! It's ok, because every Rural racist county is going to have to deal with the fact that we have a BLACKMAN in the Whitehouse. I can't believe that people can still be this racist when our country is in peril. Barack is the best candidate we've had in the last 20 years and it drives me nuts that we still have so many so-called Americans that still subscribe to such ignorant short-sided opinions. Like it or not a BlackMan will occupy the White House for the next 8 years so get used to it. I just thank God that there are enough REAL AMERICANS who believe that this country deserves the best candidate in office regardless of ethnicity.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND OUR PRESIDENT
    (EVEN GEORGE BUSH)

June 10, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  15. unions are not stupid

so basically another racist in our midst will be good to clean them out of the party!

The report that showed Obama as being the most liberal senator was completely false and painted as such only the struggling GOP and some racist people are still useing that excuse!

The report did not evaluate the full senate only the nine members they felt were the most liberal! and then it did not rate there entire voting record it only evaluated how they voted on 12 pieces of legislation they felt was very liberal.

What a joke! I am from Oklahoma and am a 56 year old white male I know very well just how racist my state is.

June 10, 2008 06:43 pm at 6:43 pm |
  16. ???

"But I also know that Saddam poses no imminent and direct threat to the United States, or to his neighbors, that the Iraqi economy is in shambles, that the Iraqi military a fraction of its former strength, and that in concert with the international community he can be contained until, in the way of all petty dictators, he falls away into the dustbin of history. I know that even a successful war against Iraq will require a US occupation of undetermined length, at undetermined cost, with undetermined consequences. I know that an invasion of Iraq without a clear rationale and without strong international support will only fan the flames of the Middle East, and encourage the worst, rather than best, impulses of the Arab world, and strengthen the recruitment arm of Al Qaeda. I am not opposed to all wars. I'm opposed to dumb wars."– Barack Obama, October 2, 2002

Notice, this was in 2002 which shows that Obama has the judgement that should be required of all presidents.

June 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  17. Louis

Now Obama supporters will call these delegates 'Traitor' and 'Bitter' because they are not in 'Unity'.

Last time I heard something like that was from President Bush supporters.

What's wrong with NOT supporting Obama? Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Look at Liberman.

June 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  18. Love HRC...but Obama not so much

The only Balm to heal the wound and the rift is HRC.

I hope she does not take the VP slot if offered.

Why should she save the a-s of He who savaged her?

BO should fail after his tricks and foul play.

HRC is too good, and I would be conflicted into voting the ticket, while I have no conflict about NOT voting Obama.

June 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  19. Frosty

The will of the people is to vote for a democrat. He is voting for Obama but he is not endorsing him...nonsesne, it must be re-election time. This is what the democratic party has come to be. Party unity is overshadowed by personalities. If he is "pretty much a conservative", next time he should run as a republican. One thing is for sure, this nobody from Oklahoma would not make it in the democratic party.

June 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  20. Lets B - Real

If I were in a state where I was in the minority as far as my party goes I too would do what I needed to do to get re-elected. This does not suprise me at all, this is what modern day politics is all about.

June 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  21. Christian

Is this guy kidding?

Its one thing to not endorse a candidate while keeping your mouth shut. It's entirely another to not endorse a candidate and RUN YOUR MOUTH to the detriment of your own party by spewing radical right wing lines such as "the most liberal senator" and "no history of bipartisanship".

This guy is obviously trying to do one of 2 things:
    1) Audition for an anchor job on Fox News; or
    2) Save his own a*s by putting personal ambition (i.e. getting re-elected) over party and country.

STATEMENTS LIKE THESE ARE NOT HELPING!!!! THIS COUNTRY IS A DISASTER AND COMMENTS LIKE THIS ONLY HELP FEED THE RADICAL RIGHT – THUS ENSURING MORE RADICAL RIGHT DOMINANCE! WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!

June 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  22. tms

your right.......if she is not on obama's ticket, after all she's done, than i am no longer a REAL democrat.

June 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  23. aaron from minneapolis

This guy just wants to try and keep his seat in a predominanttly republican area. He knows Obama is to liberal for his constituents and he needs to stay as close to center if not right to keep his seat this next election. Personally I think he's a little weasel and the only reason he won was because he was a democrat running on republican ideas. This will probably be the last time we hear of Dan Boren. Boring.

June 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  24. Middleman, NJ

Ah, yes... The Most Liberal Senator Award, bestowed every four years upon the Democratic presidential nominee by the adoring right. Remember how John Kerry was "the most liberal senator" in 2004? Notice how quickly he wasn't the most liberal senator right after the election? Dropped all the way to 20th on the list.

Interesting that Obama didn't become the most liberal senator until he became a serious presidential contender. I do believe that he has moved to the left in his positions, hoping to curry favor with the liberal establishment. However, I find it facinating that the traditional liberal poster children like Ted Kennedy (28th) and Russ Feingold (10th) somehow don't manage to be as liberal as Dems Presidential nominee.

But by all means, if OK Rep. Dan Boren feels that Obama is just too scary to vote for, then he has every right to vote the will of his constituents. That saves a politician from every having to take a risk on his own. Leading bravely from the rear...

June 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  25. La Raza

To Jimmy Velman, No Way, my friend.

June 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |