June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. rose, texas

at least someone with some sense. write in hillary r mccain...08

June 10, 2008 06:44 pm at 6:44 pm |
  2. LIAR OBAMA

Well Hannah, you're a FOOL for voting for obama.

June 10, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  3. peggyledbetter

It only depends on what will of the people your talking about....Oklahoma, Arkansas and Kansas is like living in a 3rd world country, depressing! I know one thing when it comes to Dallas, Texas Obama has our endorsement and that's a fact!!!!!!!

June 10, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  4. Robert Tulloch, Munith, Michigan

Oh Hannah. What a sad case. We will never allow a Marxist to sit in the white house no matter how much you want that. Voting for Obama is nullification of the electoral process. Move toe Venezuela please.

June 10, 2008 06:45 pm at 6:45 pm |
  5. Vanessa Carmichael

So he will vote for Obama at the convention because the nation, including his constuency, is facing serious issues. But he's not supporting Obama at this very moment and felt the need to hold a press conference? Hold on...wha? Fifteen minutes of free press, anyone?

June 10, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  6. Canuck

deer hannah. meee vote for mccain. mee also smart.

June 10, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  7. Lanny Davis

these guys are wusses

June 10, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  8. ao

wow – this party is breaking apart. All thanks for selecting a nominee who won LESS popular vote.

So much for Democracy and Dems. I think we are up for the historic loss.

In any case, after today Obama's comment of tiny difference between him and Hillary I just can't stop thinking of the 15,000,000 reasons why I should not support him. That is 15,000,000 people who will be left with no health care under his plan because he JUST WONT listen to Edwards, Hillary and other Progressives. IF you do something make it once AND right, unless people want again a half lived policy like Medicare that takes 40 years to amend and improve. And to do something RIGHT u NEED A PLAN – and Hillary's plan delivers the lowest cost per capita – cite MIT study about it

June 10, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  9. Danny from florida

umm, I am a LATINO in FLORIDA and there is no way I would ever vote for Mccain. My family and nearly every latino I know is with me on this issue. We were for Hillary at first but now that Obama is the nominee, we are with him 100%. It is time for change!

June 10, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  10. Sonya

Thanks you Congressman Boren!! Kudos to you. Finally someone is willing to stand up and do the RIGHT thing here. BO is too dangerous for our country. He has ties to terrorists, racists, and criminals. He is unpatriotic and does not love our country, only himself. Thank goodness for people like Rep. Boren. It may be a little too late in the game, but Hillary Clinton is the only real, intelligent choice for Democrats. We are all still hoping that come November at the convention, Hillary will still prevail. We will never give up. If not her as President, then McCain it will be. BO was selected, not elected!! Thanks to the media and the DNC. When Hillary gets the nomination in August, maybe she should get Boren as her VP!!!
    Thanks again Rep. Boren.

June 10, 2008 06:46 pm at 6:46 pm |
  11. Joe, Indianapolis

In response to Jimmy Velman: Texas hispanics are leaning towards McCain for President. One third of hispanics call themselves republicans. Cubans in Florida are not on board with The RAZA's agenda and Puerto Ricans in New York don't care about illegals from Mexico. They want either strong state rights for Puerto Rico or to be granted independence. I love how some people think all hispanics are united. It's like Jessie Jackson trying to say all Blacks favor amnesty too. Guess what...they don't! Just ask Obama...that is wht he doesn't even talk about immigration out on the campaign.

June 10, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  12. Eric

So Boren's not endorsing Obama but he says that he's going to vote for him? Isn't that basically what an endorsement is? What integrity does this man have from that statement? He didn't say anything profound or meaningful except that he thinks Obama is too liberal. AND like I said in the end he is going to vote for him. This isn't news.

June 10, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  13. Chipo

Hannah,did you read the posts? NOT ONE POST says they are voting for McCain because Hillary is not the nominee. Get over the Obamabot responses

June 10, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  14. Dameun

Watch all of the backwards racist come out of the woodwork now. Don't worry we will target them come re-election time.

June 10, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  15. Jesse - San Antonio TX

Hannah, McCain isn't the only option for Clinton Voters.

There is Libertarian Party Nominee Bob Barr.

Independent Ralph Nader.

ANd too boot therre is also the write in vote.

June 10, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  16. Charlotte

I like a man with integrity. Too bad Kennedy, Kerry and Richardson to name a few do not care what their constituents think. They did not want Hillary and came out way too early with their support of the super liberal whom they knew they could lead around by the nose, or elbow. Now he will be labeled a racist. Anyone who is not in-love with Obama is a racist. I will write Hillary Clinton on my ballot in November. I know I will not be the only one to do so. I wish every Clinton supporter would do the same. I'm sure some will vote for McCain, but I wish they would write her name on their ballot if their states allow it. Check with your election board, and work from now until November to get a place for a write in included on you ballot.

June 10, 2008 06:47 pm at 6:47 pm |
  17. Sohail

At some point everyone must decide which way they would like to go. Some would vote for a liberal, others would vote for conservatism gone wild.

June 10, 2008 06:48 pm at 6:48 pm |
  18. tommy perkins (no fake name) las vegas nv

CNN you suck why do you always silence people by not posting blogs. You guys have people that say more inappropriate things that I could ever say but you continue to mute me. Why.

June 10, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  19. draco

word up hannah

June 10, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  20. Liam

Boren sounds like a Moron. He will not endorse Senator Obama but he will vote for him at the convention, because it is very important to the country. That is what Boren said. Can some please get this Idiot into a detox center in order to break his addiction to Stupidity Pills!!!

June 10, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  21. DenverGirl

Wow! He needs to become a REPUBLICAN!

June 10, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  22. CJ

ok...

June 10, 2008 06:49 pm at 6:49 pm |
  23. Liam

....

June 10, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  24. Tejano

Finally a Democrat with Cojones. This guy I can respect. He is a representative of his district and that is what he was elected to do., not carry out a national agenda of the Democratic party. We need more leaders like him.

June 10, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  25. Eric

Just to add to that, by voting for Obama at the convention he is showing unity.

June 10, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |