June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. Ben - Portland

Ummm. I think you're all missing the point here. He "has to reflect" his district, but he will vote for Obama at the convention because of the "serious issues" the country faces.

He knows that when he runs for re-election, an Obama endorsment can – and probably would – be used against him by republicans trying to gete his seat. He's just playing political semantics in the spirit of self preservation.

He's not a democrat for McCain. As Hanna so eloquently put it, "Anyone that would vote for McCain because Clinton isn't the nominee is an idiot and was never actually a Democrat."

Well said.

June 10, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  2. jim

interesting that this meathead is from the same state as sally kern (who thinks homosexuality is a bigger threat to america than terrorism). give me a break boren. instead of trying to gain 15min. of fame, get in line with the party to which you 'supposedly' belong... if not, cross over to the republicans. too liberal. if not wanting to be in iraq for 100 years is too liberal, well then you need to get the F over to mccain's side. and good riddance.

June 10, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  3. Peace

You can't win them all. He could have kept his opinion to himself for the sake of his party. This could hurt the Dem's in the general election. For the sake of party unity this Rep should learn to keep his mouth shut if he does not have anything positive to say. You don't see Repubs running around bringing down McCain.

June 10, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  4. EDW

Hannah,
    although I voted for Obama and plan to do the same in the GE, I think that calling Clinton and McCain supporters idiots will not make them see things your way.
    Now if you said that McCain would reverse the decision of Roe vs Wade and wants to keep us in this wrong war till 2013 then they may listen.

Just a thought...

June 10, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  5. Sonya

Hannah,
    You're an idiot. No wonder you're voting BO. Don't you know BO stinks?
    Hillary 08 and/or 12
    Nobama!!

June 10, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  6. beachgirl

Good for you Mr. Boren! Obama does not deserve endorsement from anyone, Obama is tooooooooo liberal, the most liberal Senator of ALL! Idiots who are supporting him! This is going to be ANOTHER KID ON TRAINING, just like Bush!

June 10, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  7. Riley

Oh god, people, get over it. I mean you, the people who comment on this page. Your girl lost. Get . Over. It. Stop crying like little babies. You're doing MUCH disservice to the feminist movement. STOP IT.

June 10, 2008 06:50 pm at 6:50 pm |
  8. Tejano

Yeah right latinos are united, to defeat Obama and his Marxist agenda.

June 10, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  9. Tommie R.

I've never seen superdelegates go out of their way to state that they are not supporting someone. I suppose not everyone was ready to make history.

June 10, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  10. tim

is this guy even old enough to vote? how old is this he? 15?

June 10, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  11. Charlene in VA

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's
    Thank you for to stand up and not just follow obama blindley.

June 10, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  12. The Lady

I agree with Hannah, voting for someone just because your candidate lost is acting like a spoiled brat, if I can't have it my way I will ruin everything for everyone else. If you want to vote for McCain go right ahead I am sick and tired of hearing the threats. So what if Dan Boran wont endorse Obama there were over two hundred other superdelegates who did not endorse him either. If you vote for McCain because you believe in him good for you, If you vote for McCain because Obama is the democrat nominee grow up.

June 10, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  13. Sean

Good for him reflecting the will of his constituents, but it is unfortunate that he also seems to be actively campaigning against a fellow Democrat by making false accusations about Obama's bipartisan abilities. I can't imagine why he'd behave that way unless he actually wants Republicans back in the White House. Although, to be fair, if there's one thing the Democratic party has excelled at in recent years, it's been losing, and Dan Boren seems to have a pretty solid grasp of how to do his part to try to make it happen yet again....

June 10, 2008 06:51 pm at 6:51 pm |
  14. MICHAEL JIMENEZ LYTLE TEXAS

I COMMEND YOU! HAD ALL THE SUPERDELEGATES FOLLOWED THEIR PEOPLE'S VOICES...HILLARY WOULD BE OUR CANDIDATE!

June 10, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  15. Les, Long Beach, CA

Well, I'm glad to see he's a pseudo-Democrat like his dad. Why don't these people just run as Republicans? I don't get it...

June 10, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  16. YES WE CAN + YES WE WILL= DEMS IN WHITE HOUSE

They must be among those that are jealous of Obama, this was to be expected. Oh well now Obama knows where they stand, now don't he? And so does the Obama supporters that live within their districts.

GO OBAMA ALL THE WAY TO THE WHITE HOUSE LEAVE ALL HATERS IN YOUR DUST!

June 10, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  17. MJ

I see Republican Bloggers are earning their money. You are doing a good job, folks, of pretending to be Democrats who love Hillary Clinton so much that they will not vote for Obama.

I hope the $10 enough for the phony democrats to blog all day pretending to be Democrats who are voting for McCain because Hillary did not get the nomination. Hillary Clinton will speak out about this in the next few days.

My brother in law blogs as a "Democrat for McCain" and laughs about it. It's not reallly funny, Democrats.

June 10, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  18. R. Grayson

Clearly this guy is in the wrong party.

If you don't want to walk with the Democrats, that's okay, just don't call yourself one.

June 10, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  19. Joe Bloggs, Haiku, HI

Yawn! Why don't some of you pseudo Dems-for-McCain get a life?! Do you really think you are influencing us folk who think for ourselves and don't get our talking points from Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity et al?! We know you are just frustrated Conservtives who are coming to terms with the reality that Obama will be our next President. Did any of you see the videos of McCain speaking on Tuesday before Obama's victory speech?! If you did, then you will know that your candidate is a joke. If you didn't, you will find out soon enough when he is on stage debating Obama. BUt if it makes you happy pretending to be Dems angry bc. Clinton didn't get the nomnation, who amI to spoil your fun?!

June 10, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  20. Rob in North Carolina

I guess Oklahoma has a real handle on raising cowards!!!

June 10, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  21. Jim

Rep. Dan Boren has lost his mind, his district, and our repect. However, even tho he will not endorse Obama, he said he will vote Obama. Isn't this like an endorsment?

Oh I get it, you can back a Black guy for President in public...HUH.

This is a joke. remove it from the head lines.

he's voting Obama, he will endorse Obama, he just had an RM [Republican Moment]

June 10, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  22. L.V. from Minnesota

Only reason i accept this garbage that Congressman Boren is because that is one heck of an explanation!! Truly you must reflect the views of your constituency!! Good Job!!

And then saying that you will vote for Obama at the convention (and hopefully the General) is fair as well being that you will be be reflecting the voice of your larger constituency.... the whole USA!!

I respect honesty and fairness... that is why I support Barack Obama in the first place!!

Obama/Huckabee 08<<<<<<<<lets really unite this country!!
    ^
    ^
    ^
    ^
    (Anybody But McBillary)

June 10, 2008 06:52 pm at 6:52 pm |
  23. Great

Too bad Richardson didn't do the same for us New Mexicans.

But then, Richardson is not up for re-election.

I would have respected that integrity and loyalty to his constituents.

June 10, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  24. A Dub

Is this that unusual? That a legislator doesnt come out and support a nominee of his party? Dunno....but my guess is no. If yes....the there is more to this than..."the will of his constituates".

June 10, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |
  25. Daniel from FL

What kind of loser doesn't endorse his party's nominee, but still says he will vote for him? Sounds a little bit on the stupid side to me.

June 10, 2008 06:53 pm at 6:53 pm |