June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. bill

what do you mean moderation. It is really hard hitting and untruthful. Give me a break.

June 10, 2008 06:58 pm at 6:58 pm |
  2. Texas Independent

I still don't understand some of Sen Clinton's supporters hatred on this issue. The only people to blame for her loss is her campaign. She had the name, the money and the establishment to win this from day one. But somehow Mark Penn and his bunch had a bad (or no) strategy, ran her campaign into debt and allowed her to make comments that did not help.

Bosnia, the pregnant woman that died becasue she was denied medical treatment, Pres. Clinton reaction, holding her tax returns, the list is long. None of these helped and it her and her campaign's fault. I could understand if Sen Obama railroaded or swift-boated her, there could be some animosity but he remained fair to her throughout the campaign. Be mad and angry at her people for ruining her chance, and I bet they were paid quiet well for failing

June 10, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  3. Cynthia

He obviously wanted some air time. He could have kept that comment to himself or maybe he plans to join the Republican party like the Hilliary Clinton supporters.

June 10, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  4. Peggy - Tx

Rep. Dan Boren has to do what he has to do to keep himself in office. I was glad to hear that he would "vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces." Shows that he personally sees the light, even if many in his district are still in the dark.

June 10, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  5. Aurelia Dean

LOL did they join the Hillary Supporters for McCain facebook page? Yes it seems cutting your nose off to spite your face is in this year.

June 10, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  6. Manuel TX

I'm a Democrat...although given how the left has taken over the party perhaps it's time to either leave or change the party.

I think changing the party will be more productive.

As usual, the Obama supporters are calling anyone who disagrees with their selection a racist. How pathetic.

||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

June 10, 2008 06:59 pm at 6:59 pm |
  7. Maryland Jew for Obama

I'm a Jewish voter and I think the John McCain would continue George Bush's legacy of appearing to be a friend of Israel and not actually being a friend. Check the records – Bush didn't visit Israel or the West Bank until December 2007. I don't know about you people, but friends visit each other all the time.

If you are a fellow Jew, do not think for one second that John McCain is a friend.

Jews for Obama '08 and '12

June 10, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  8. more conviction than Richardson#2

Richardson is in his second and last term as Gov of NM, so He just thumbed his nose at what his state wanted.

I think Ed from Santa Fe is the only Pro-Obama New Mexican on these blogs. He gets posted ON EVERY blog. I have been blocked in the past.

And I am WHITE married to a NATIVE AMERICAN... Living in a state where caucacians are a minority. And I have 2 college degrees, make $120,000/ yr, own two homes outright and don't need Obama to save us poor ignorant folk. Oh yeah... and AN ACTIVIST FEMALE TOO!!!!!!!!!

So don't try the racist sh–t with me. I see through those feeble attempts to indimidate and coerce and manipulate by fear and labeling.

June 10, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  9. Bob

I will not vote for anyone who is for amnesty period.

The mayor of L.A. could not get elected Dog Catcher

McCain is an idiot

Obama is just another one who will do what he wants and not what the people want

Do bad Americans cannot just understand we NEED a third party because the two we have are screwing us.

Get out of Iraq....P:.S. let all of the middle know if we have to come again it will be with bombs only.

Tax the oil companies 120 billion in profit is a joke when they don't spend anything for alternate energy

What is the excuse for diesel being so high when it is 2 cents cheaper to produce. P.S. no heat demand and no higher usage for an excuse.

Bring our jobs back from overseas.

National health care now....Canada and England did it and Im tired of the excuse we want better when we have NOTHING.....

God the list just goes on...

NO DEMOCRAT OR REPUBLICAN WILL DO ANY OF THE ABOVE....

So just keep voting the idiots into office and it will serve everyone right as the beat goes on......

An Independent.....

June 10, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  10. chad, texas

the train is leaving this idoit better hop on...we are leaving

June 10, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  11. peter

This must be the most dumbest racist and idiot we have in congress.How is he gonna vote for Obama and not endorse him? You must be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

June 10, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  12. Independent Voter

Hannah:

News you can use:

This isn't about Clinton. You can let go of the hate now. This is about a House member who is acting to represent his constituents. Nowhere does he say he supports McCain.

Take a cold shower, Obama fans.

June 10, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  13. WordsMatter

Hannah – I'm glad you can speak for all women and dems. Nice!

June 10, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  14. Robert Bauer, Sonoma County, CA

The answer? Endorse the candidate who will continue the disastrous policies that got us here in the first place. I think the stupidity exhibited through this campaign is going to kill me.

June 10, 2008 07:00 pm at 7:00 pm |
  15. mike

I retract my earlier statement. Apparently there are at least two Democrats with morals and a spine.

June 10, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  16. PCS / North Carolina

drod June 10th, 2008 6:05 pm ET

"Finally…a democrat with some integrity."

Yeah, right. BORAT, when your nominee McCain wins in November and go for the war in Iran. With his temper, are you sure, you want to give him the nuclear button.

June 10, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  17. Jimenez

Good News! Thanks Borden for not being a selling out. I still won't vote democrat this year but it's men like you that make me proud.

June 10, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  18. Fella from Chicago

Funny, when superdelegate Senator Byrd from West Virginia cast his vote for Senator Obama even though West Virginia voted close to 70% for Senator Clinton the Obama supporters said what a wise man this 90 year old politician was, but when Congressman Boren votes how his constituents wished, he's a traitor to his party. This is a man of integrity and how I wish Obama could learn from him. Then our country would be on a path of positive change.

June 10, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  19. M Pinard

... Many months to go, many political confrontations to occur, and national crises loom ahead for Democrats and Republicans to face ! - All Americans must pay attention as events unfold until this November Election Day !! Infighting within the Democratic and the Republican Parties will eventually reflect some unity.... So, when the time arrives, our nation's voters will vote for the Presidential Candidate who can intelligently and patriotically perform the job of U.S. President.... That is the important goal!

June 10, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  20. ld in az

Thank you Hannah!!! Women especially should be coming out against this guy.

June 10, 2008 07:01 pm at 7:01 pm |
  21. Voice of Reason

What are all the posters talking about? This man said he would not endorse Obama because he wishes to reflect the views of his constituency, but he will VOTE for Barack at the convention. Where's the problem? I completely respect his stance, and I'm for Obama.

June 10, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  22. O. Caasi

Then why Oklahoma Gov. Brad Henry endorsed Sen. Obama? I think he is not running for re-election. Endorsement, a Political decision? or the right thing to do?

June 10, 2008 07:02 pm at 7:02 pm |
  23. Chris

Listen:

We, the wing of the Democratic Party with our heads screwed on properly, the centrists, not the members of the looney left, and yes, we Senator Clinton supporters,

We told you all there'd be hell to pay. We told you that we will NOT vote for Barack Obama.

Today is the day of reckoning. The party defied us and now we defy them.

And it's a shame. We could have had an amazing Madame President.

June 10, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  24. Amanda

Yay!

June 10, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |
  25. OBAMA RICHARDSON 2008

Seems like Hillary supporters were the bitter ones afterall. Get over it, it was a fair contest and Hillary lost. GROW UP! Vote for the issues you stand for, not out of spite.

June 10, 2008 07:03 pm at 7:03 pm |