June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. Cheryl L. Swaim

I won't vote for Obama. He asked people to vote for him if they thought he'd make things better for their family. I think he'll destroy mine. For one reason, he won't require healthy people to share in the cost of health insurance. That means sick people will have to pay more which is exactly the way it is now. Change? I could go on and on and on about why I won't vote for Obama. Suffice it to say, I'm not a Democrat any more ... after 40 years.
    Nobama

June 10, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  2. Jane

that's just plain stupid on his part....he's just looking out for himself he doesn't care about the party he couldn't be a true Dem..some people will say & do anything to get elected nowadays...he probably is a republican anyway...he just ran as a democrate to win the vote.

June 10, 2008 07:08 pm at 7:08 pm |
  3. Bill Jay

I am a registered democrat, I would never ever vote for Obama,
    he way to liberal for me. So I'm left with Mr. McCain, this will be the
    first time I vote republican.

June 10, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  4. DJ, LA, CA

Get a spine and endorse your party's candidate.

June 10, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  5. Daniel, NY, NY

Good job, Boren! Don't follow the pack.

This man is not our leader. He will crash and burn by the fall.

June 10, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  6. JJ

we have to look back to the 2006 election, the reason why Democrats took control of Congress are because of representatives like him who ran as moderate and conservative Democrats, without them there would be no Democratic majority

June 10, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  7. Minnesota against Johnny McSame

Will not endorse the leader of your own party. Let Barack come to power, we will see how you kiss his behind to make up for this stupidity.

June 10, 2008 07:09 pm at 7:09 pm |
  8. Samson

And I suppose John McCain's Bush-like ideologies will turn this country around...I think not.

June 10, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  9. j-syxx

What a sniveling coward.

June 10, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  10. christy from pa

Well said Hannah! It could not have been said more simply. Hillary Democrats, the significance of this election looms large - larger than your egos being hurt, your pride stepped on. Drop the hubris and support your party and its ideals. These ideals will be fought for by Obama! if you fear he does not have the experience, I tell you to fear more what McCain would bring this country to. I stood my my neighbor today as she received a call that her only son's leg was amputated because of a roadside bomb in Iraq. She melted in my arms ...Don't do it, please don't vote McCain.

June 10, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  11. Kevin - Spokane

Coward. His constituency hopefully voted him into office because they trusted his judgment, and vote his conscience using his powers of discernment for the benefit of constituents. Sounds like a guy trying to play on both sides of the fence. We have too many of those in our elected offices in my opinion. In public office, wimps need not apply.

June 10, 2008 07:10 pm at 7:10 pm |
  12. Marj,Paso Robles, Cal

Thank You, Rep. Boren. No rational person could ever vote for BO.

June 10, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  13. Corey, Maryland

As much as I disagree with his choice, this is America and he has that right. I think he is stupid for not endorsing Obama, but if he wants to be on the losing team then so be it. If he wants 4 more years of the same policies we have now then be our guest. You are an idiot for believing that Mr. Boren.

Aside from that I totally and 100% agree with Hannah. No TRUE DEMOCRAT WOULD EVER VOTE FOR MCCAIN!! I thought we were the party of smart people!!! If you voted for Clinton you should automatically vote for Obama, no questions asked.

Obama Richardson 2008

June 10, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  14. NR

NO REAL DEMOCRAT WOULD VOTE FOR A LIAR LIKE BARACK OBAMA!

June 10, 2008 07:11 pm at 7:11 pm |
  15. Ted from Washington, DC

yeah. this is the dumbest crap i have heard yet. Yea he is not getting re elected. wow!!! nonsense

June 10, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  16. bob

He won't endorse him but he will vote for him?

What a man of confused integrity...

I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over Obama not winning the racist white vote
    Right now Obama is doing better than Gore or Kerry with whites..many of whom don't care that Obama is black...he is doing way better than Gore or Kerry with Latinos and of course he has staggering numbers with blacks and young voters.....

So why are the polls close? Either the pollsters haven't caught up to the changing times or they are keeping it close enough for cover when the unverifiable voting machines pick our next prez....

June 10, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  17. jimmy velman is an idiot

enough said. obama is going to win. jimmy velman, you are an idiot.

June 10, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  18. Brian

Oh boy, here come the racist comments. Please save your voice. He is doing EXACTLY what he was elected for, to represent the people that elected him. Finally a politician that keeps his word.

June 10, 2008 07:12 pm at 7:12 pm |
  19. California Voter

Just because you do not support Obama it does not make you a racist. On the contrary, there are probably more people voting for Obama because he is part African American. Obama's race has actually worked to his advantage. Anyone that criticizes him is called a racist . . therefore the press, the liberal press never really questioned him or his credentials. And please, don't say that one is "dumb" if they do not vote for Obama. I know of many people who voted for Obama because he is a "fresh face" . . . now that really shows some serious thought on a presidential candidate.

June 10, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  20. nitro

Rep Boring need to realize he just might not be around for another term if he keeps talking. He just might join Joe Leiberman as an independent(hint,hint)

June 10, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  21. Women In California for Obama

I personally no longer care how anyone votes. As for me, I will be supporting Obama ALL the way to the WH. As far as those Clinton supporters leaving the party, PLEASE LEAVE because you are in for a real awakening when most blacks leave the party in 2012 because of the way you have treated Sen. Obama. I will be leading the charge. Mark my words if you think you are going to kept "using" us year after year and then when we find someone we believe in and we need you to be supportive of us-we are called "racists." Racists. No one called us that in the past when we were voting for people of non-color. All of this talk about "leaving the party." I NEVER once left the party no matter how much I disliked the nominee (Al Gore). I am disgusted and completely over this election. Demanding Obama pay off HRC's debts and demanding he pick her as VP-who do you people think you are? As I said we will see who has the last laugh. This is already been discussed in beauty shops. I and my family and friends (CA, FL, AL and TX) will campaign vigorusly AGAINST the democratic party in 2011 and I am sure MANY feel the same way. There are other parties looking for our support. So go right ahead and you will go down in history as the "Fall of the Democratic Party". I have had enough.

June 10, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  22. AKRON, OHIO OBOMA SUPPORTER

This sounds more like a racist attitude to me.

June 10, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  23. Nto, TX

I respect that he is representing his constituency, however, unity is needed to turn the current mess we're in around. Noone is expecting him to adore Obama, just decide if you're goind to support your party or not, that is the main idea here...

June 10, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  24. Vote Dem in November

So what, every family has the weird uncle no one wants to invite.

June 10, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |
  25. Jack

To say that Obama does not represent bipartisan work is about as absurd, if not moreso, than McCain's Claim that Obama is just like Bush.

I haven't seen a politician able to bridge party lines like Obama since Russ Feingold got started in Wisconsin.

How long will these hacks spew their nonsense because they can't admit the truth: that they can't overcome prejudice to vote for a black man?

June 10, 2008 07:13 pm at 7:13 pm |