June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. concerned

Way to go Mr. Boren. Can't agree with you more.

It's hilarious to see the pundits on MSNBC seeking Bill Clinton's help in campaigning for Barack. Oh I hope he tells them to stick it.

They all cut BIll and Hillary down so badly and now when they need them, they think they are great.

The man is inexperienced, cocky, racist and I will never never vote for him and by the way – can't stand his hateful wife. We have never had such a person in the first lady's spot that is so bold, nasty and hateful.

June 10, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  2. Ben

He's in the wrong party! I doubt anyone would have taken notice of this idiot if he just endorsed Obama with the crowd.

June 10, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  3. Mr Mike

Rep. who? Enough said. Better start looking for a day job.

June 10, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  4. Buddy

Finally someone stands up for America. AMEN!!!!!

June 10, 2008 08:04 pm at 8:04 pm |
  5. Denise P Quinton

I am so disgusted with OBAMA supporters who claim every against him is either uneducated or not a true Democrat, this nation was founded for the people and by the people so we all have freedom of speech. To Hannah I am a 60 year old woman who values my freedom but loves my country more.

June 10, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  6. pamela purse

WOW.....Until Obama...I have been a lifelong republican...I worked for Nixon-Lodge and Emmerson's first term...I'm trying to remember a time republicans turned on their nominee....oh I'm sure they did it quietly....but on CNN!! It is a scary thing standing up for what u believe in. There are towns in Southeast Missouri with No people of color....any color.live...or even drive through. You see as many confederate flags as you do the American flag.... Sunday I listened to a speech from RFK, forty years ago, where he said he could envision a black running for president in the next forty years. I wish I was in your district...I'd begin the recall. I pray you are not raising little ones as you were raised.

June 10, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  7. right on brother

this man isnt as gullible as the people who voted for obama
    to me he has to be smarter they all these people gas is no high because of the rep
    the democret are in the house and they do nothing
    so all you air heads go back to school

June 10, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  8. Mike Kaplan

I'm sure you're all going to enjoy the next 8 years of the Obama administration. One of the best things about it for me is knowing how unhappy it's going to make you pea-brains.

June 10, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  9. SELF INTEREST

CLINTON WON OKLAHOMA. HE'S JUST MAKING SURE HE'LL GET RE-ELECTED.

June 10, 2008 08:05 pm at 8:05 pm |
  10. jeremy

he won't endorse him, but he'll vote for him??????? what the heck does this guy smoke? i think a vote is an endorsement.

maybe you have to be from oklahoma to understand that logic...

June 10, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  11. joe

This guy obviously is afraid he will not get reelected if he supports Obama because the Rep will come after him linking him to Rev Wright. By the way, I think Obama stayed friends with Rev Wright for so long becuase they were probably many good things that he saw in him. I think many us have had friends for a length of time that we did share all the same views and some times as we grow older our live begin to take separate direction. I am pretty sure we have all experience this. Obama wants to bring people together in a loving manner were Wright wants to do it in radical way.

Also, just because Hillary did not win the nomination does not mean she will not have an influence in a Democratic administration. Obama's policies are more in line with Clinton. So vote for McCain if you don't believe in his policies? Yes Obama needs your vote. As a young voter I want to take a chance on someone that has proven that he can bring people together. All of my friends talk about how Obama has motivated us to get involve and we believe that once he becomes president he will do the same for our nation. I think McCain is a great senator and I respect him for what he has done for our nation. I just think Obama will be better at bringing people together to solve many of the issues we have today. So to all of you Hillary Supporters, I begging you to please support Obama and I believe that you will not be disappointed once he becomes president .

June 10, 2008 08:06 pm at 8:06 pm |
  12. BROOKLYN

Can't blame him...
    Most of us who support Clinton will NEVER support him either...

June 10, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  13. jeff

then be a Republican what's the difference, vote for McCain and suffer another 4 more years,

June 10, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  14. xddy4u

CNN is going out of its way to give Obama bad press. Why don't they hound McCain about his VP pick who's been the nominee some three months ago. Yet right after Obama became the nominee thay wanted him to say who his VP would be. Just leave the man a hell alone, hound McCain some.
    As for Rep. Boren, he trying to cover his own azz.
    Go Obama '08

June 10, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  15. Sophie L

Hannah:

No REAL Democrat would have let a chance to have Hillary as President slip away.

No woman who values her personal freedom would have voted against Hillary in the first place and for a guy that has DONE exactly nothing for women. (Yes, he supports, blah, blah, blah...)

No man or woman who has an ounce of intelligence would risk four more years of Republican rule —
    And yet they did by voting for a guy with NO experience..

Many of them voted for Obama simply because they were anti-Clinton. Hmmm, where can I sign up to help them out in the GE now that they need me?

But I'm still not voting for McCain. Downticket only.

June 10, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  16. NO

Okla is not that conservative. This guy's DAD David Boren AND the OKLA Gov. backed Obama some time ago!!!! Make sure to write this guy on his website and tell him he should be shame promoting self interests instead of the interests of the party. OKLA IS NOT THAT CONSERVATIVE

June 10, 2008 08:07 pm at 8:07 pm |
  17. Edward Mausolf

I don't understand the point of voting for him in the democratic convention yet not support him in the end...

June 10, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  18. Peter E

Wow. A REPRESENTATIVE who for once actually REPRESENTS his constituents instead of zombifying them with promises and then telling them what to think. Bravo! He'd have my vote if I were an Oklahoma democrat.

June 10, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  19. D.Kimbro OHIO

Everyone is entitled to his or her own oppinion. I hope reelection is worth the future. I would ask this man what kind of a world would he leave for his children.

June 10, 2008 08:08 pm at 8:08 pm |
  20. parmapillolin

He don,t endorse him probable because he look too white to change the wrong course of this country,s house fallen by hundreds on the river.
    He is Boren *aburrido*
    Him is Barack Obama the next president of USA
    She is Hillary Clinton the next vice of my very wet, hot and windy home country USA.
    Always for peace Nick

June 10, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  21. ReadPlease

Polly what do you agree with? That you will be voting Democrat along with Mr. Boren in the Fall???? You obviously didn't 100% read the article. He said he would vote for Obama just not endorse.

June 10, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  22. wiscon

It is true what he says. Obama has never tried to work with Repubs. But that is how liberals work. Liberals are supposed to be open-minded and willing to listen. That's true, only if you believe in their views. If you don't, you're labeled an evil person that only cares about money and war.

June 10, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  23. Peter E

I'd love to have more such politicians who LISTEN to the voters instead of telling them what to think. Bravo! An actual REPRESENTATIVE!

June 10, 2008 08:09 pm at 8:09 pm |
  24. Alison, FL

He's a punk for sure!...lol...talking out both sides of his mouth!

June 10, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  25. rosemary benitez

I will not vote for Obama if Hillary is not on the ticket, I have lost all faith in our voting system. It seems the only votes that really do matter are the delegates...I don't believe that my vote matters, and I am 45 years old, my kids 20 and 21 have been telling me for years that individual votes don't matter, I tend to believe them now. What a break down in our belief in our government for me and my children. I am so disappointed in this country, it is falling apart.

June 10, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |