June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. Linda31

Wait, so he will voe for him but not endorse him? He agrees on the issues, but won't endorse him? ooookkkay

June 10, 2008 08:10 pm at 8:10 pm |
  2. Peter E

Huh? A politician ACTUALLY listening to the people who voted for him? Unbelievable!

June 10, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  3. Jeff

Why does Dan Boren hate America?

June 10, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  4. jonathan

I agree with Hannah partially, but not supporting Obama doesn't mean vote for McCain, not voting at all is another choice, and one a lot of people are feeling; for one, the betrayal of the Democratic Party; but firstly, because Obama is a Democrat, doesn't mean he's the right person for President or even a good choice. He just happens to have been put in this position by the Democrats in congress by stonewalling Clinton at ever turn. Every single time Clinton won a state, a Democrat in the House or Senate would come out in support of Obama, the very next day.
    I have no intention of supporting this party any further after the way they treated my choice, nor will I vote for a man I don't have faith or trust in enough to lead this country. There is no certainty Obama will lead us to prosperity, look at the way Carter ruined things in the 1970s, leading to 12 years of Republican corruption in the 80s. Obama is inexperienced, unqualified and unelectable.

June 10, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  5. Solana

Wolf in sheep's clothing. Or more accurately, a closet Republican. He must hang out with Leiberman.

June 10, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  6. Will

I am sure he'll vote at the convention...he needs the financial support of the Dems to get re-elected.

June 10, 2008 08:11 pm at 8:11 pm |
  7. HereWeGo

Oklahoma is not that conservative. AND This guy's dad David Boren along with the Okla Gov. endorsed Obama. Leave his office an email and tell him to put the party's interests before his own. He shouldn't make divisive statements like this one.

June 10, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  8. Peter E

Quick, press the 'he's just being a racist' panic button!

June 10, 2008 08:12 pm at 8:12 pm |
  9. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

you know... the thing of it is..... When Obama becomes President... he will STILL reach out to this guy in unity...

THAT is the kind of leadership we have coming to Washington.

and it sucks.... Because no matter WHAT Obama does right... or what he does for the people who hate him.....

they will still hate him.

June 10, 2008 08:13 pm at 8:13 pm |
  10. Candy

He looks Republican ... actually he looks like a certain political Republican ... what's his name?

June 10, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  11. MK

Dear "Over turn roe v wade,"
    Perhaps you can explain something to me. How can people who think life in the womb should be protected by outlawing abortion also think that dropping bombs on children and pregnant women is a-okay? I'd really like to know why most "pro-lifers" are also pro-war, as you seem to be.

June 10, 2008 08:14 pm at 8:14 pm |
  12. Rich In Seattle

Wow, true leadership there buddy. Take the safe way out so not to upset'em in "fake cowbow" country Oklahoma. They can't do anything down there correctly, just see how they are trying to steal the Sonics from Seattle and how crooked they are.

June 10, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  13. Pepou

Why not join Judas Lieberman ? He is lonely with McCain ...

June 10, 2008 08:15 pm at 8:15 pm |
  14. smarter than that

I love this guy... he's a total idiot politician of the worst kind.

He just became my screensaver because i like guys like this to remind me why this country needs CHANGE.

And Jimmy Velman, I live in New York and I went to the Puerto Rican parade on Sunday and believe me... that's Obama country. Mccain hasn't got a shot and neither does your flawed math. even if you write in ALL CAPS

June 10, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  15. joe m

what's pelosi, dean, and reid going to do now? for all the talk of unity what this election is proving is that the democratic party is fractured, and has been going this way for quite some time. for that matter the republicans are in no better shape.

June 10, 2008 08:16 pm at 8:16 pm |
  16. D-Boy Okie

Boren is just in CYA mode. Maybe, we could use a good bit of old fashioned "Liberalism". I know a lot of folks, here, who will vote for Obama, as long as they believe he won't mess with their guns. He just might just be the thing to move the economy back in line.

June 10, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  17. Wil

MARK MY WORDS!!!

It will be funny to watch this man do a 180 turn when Obama is the president..He will stand and say "I was with Obama all along"...What a fraud..
    Also it's not because Obama is the most liberal candidate ever it's because he's black!!! just have a backbone and say it!!

June 10, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  18. NWest

You are a jelous man

June 10, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  19. Francesca

Who cares?! He's not even a drop in the bucket.

June 10, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  20. Brian

OK but who will they vote for in November????

June 10, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  21. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

Sounds like Joe Lieberman JR, to me...

June 10, 2008 08:17 pm at 8:17 pm |
  22. JFK

Hannah, many would say that any intelligent Democrat would vote for the best qaulified person for the job. Hence, thats not Obama, so why should I vote for someone not fit for the job? Please explain how you plan to make up millions of peoples minds for themselves. Thats right, you can't. No one can do and so do not try to make my decision and just let it go. People have made their decisions and you can not get everyone to vote for Obama. It will not happen and you have to respect it just as I have to respect your decision, as poor as it is. And I AM A LIFETIME DEMOCRAT for your information. Have a nice day!

June 10, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  23. Toby

I think I smell a cabinet position...!!!

(somewhere behind the paprika)

June 10, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  24. Roz, IL

whatever

June 10, 2008 08:18 pm at 8:18 pm |
  25. tell the truth

That's okl. Not all Dem will vote for Obama. Some people do not like his views. He will lose some Dem gain some Rep and Ind like me. I like Obama stands on Gas prices, taxes cuts, pro choice, agains the war in Irag and etc. He has mine vote.

June 10, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |