June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. Drew, Central FL

So Rep. Dum Borin' is actually not a Democrat. Big effin' deal. Where has this guy been the last 7 years. Conservatives got the country into this mess.

Anybody voting Republican in November is a straight up fool.

June 10, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  2. william

Well DNC,Reid and Polosi what have you done. Put a republican in office for sure. He is not he only one feeling that way. Polosi You should have listen to your district as we did not want him either. Now we dont want you.
    McCain 08

Cindy for senator 08

June 10, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  3. Ray Morgan

In my book if your a Democrat or a Republican you vote with the party you are registered with, no if ands or butts about it. I say that because you are not sure that you want to be a Democrat or a Republican you can register as a independent and vote for the person not the party. The thing that bothers me the most about this is that politicians like Boren or the average person who tells me that they're going to vote for McCain but then say that you are still a democrat. In my eyes you are a fraud. You have switched parties, which is fine by me but you can't have it both ways.

June 10, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  4. Stone Mountain

If this country is crazy enough to vote John Mccain as President, It would be a shame. You might as well get the hand basket ready, because this world is going to hell in it. Voting for him would be like voting for Bush all over again. Bush does nor represent us all, and we need someone who can speak for us all. This world is in a turmoil right now, and we can't continue to live like this. We will never have this opportunity again to vote for change. It doesnt matter if Obama is black or white, I would still vote for him. It is time that we all came together as one..

June 10, 2008 08:19 pm at 8:19 pm |
  5. Trasa, Texas

Obama supporters, I wouldn't spend time commenting on him. That's the choice he's made and also, it states he was Republican, so of course he still will have most of there views. What I don't understand is why he didn't remain one and came over to the Democratic side?

June 10, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  6. Tim C

Jellyfish. Spineless. Political wimp

June 10, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  7. NWest

We can tell you guys are jelous and bored no one on your side.

June 10, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  8. Virginia is Obama country

Vote this fool out of office Democrats.

This guy is a disgrace to democratic ideals.

Obama 08/ anyone 08

June 10, 2008 08:20 pm at 8:20 pm |
  9. SAAB

Who cares? It's interesting how all the young Dems who thought they were the next hot thing are so bitter over Barack's ascension. It's almost laughable. No one takes this guy seriously anyway. You'd rather give the election away to someone you don't even support? My country 'tis of thee...Just when I thought we'd evolved.

June 10, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  10. JFK

Finally, an intelligent Democrat we can be proud of!

June 10, 2008 08:21 pm at 8:21 pm |
  11. California Voter

I respect this guy! He didn't buy into the bullying by the Old Guard!

June 10, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  12. jc

It is sad to say that our country as not come a long way like the media portrays it. Only half the country has come a long way (they tend to be democrats and independents), the other half is still racists and biggots. And my wife doesn't want to vote for Obama because he beat Hillary eventhough she agrees with his policies. My wife though is not racist, she is just bitter that the woman lost to the man. America, I have to tell you that Hell knows no fury like a woman's scorn. But she will not vote for Mc Cain because face it. That would make all women in america take a 20 year step back in womens' rights

June 10, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  13. barackobama4prez

No problem. No go away.

June 10, 2008 08:22 pm at 8:22 pm |
  14. DEMOCRATS AGAINST OBAMA

This just makes me want to donate money to him. :)

I totally support his refusal to endorse an empty suit!!!!

DOWN WITH OBAMA!!!!!

DEMOCRATS FOR MCCAIN!!!!!

June 10, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  15. Naomi

Who is this loser anyway? Is it really significant to still endorse anyone at this point, I mean Obama has already got the nomination. I swear everybody wants their 5 minutes of fame.

June 10, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  16. Nobama

so, there are a few practical Democrats who are not swayed by the dream-plan shown by Obama. Good for America.

June 10, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  17. Everett T. Barnes

Atleast he is honest about is true racist feelings He is entitled to share them and they should be respected. Who said only Republicans are racist... A bogot come in all colors and parties

Go Boren

June 10, 2008 08:23 pm at 8:23 pm |
  18. right on brother

tell me what does obama want for the economy?
    can you tell me his goal
    well i can change
    'because he has no policy
    no plan for us but i will tax you more people

June 10, 2008 08:24 pm at 8:24 pm |
  19. max

nicely put, hannah (6:32pm)

June 10, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  20. Scott Newport

I love you man! The media has annointed Obama our next president. No so fast!

June 10, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  21. Trasa, Texas

Face facts, some people just feel Obama is too liberal for them, which is fine. That's just reality, you can't force people to go along with your movement. The best thing we as supporters could do is try to get others that may consider coming over to our side to join the movement. Obviously he's made up his mind, besides, who needs him. He's like so far 1 out 2 people we have heard that hasn't endorsed or remained uncommitted. The point is, to have a majority that will endorse. Leave him be.

June 10, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  22. icala

someone with guts. I gues he does not believe obama changing chant I don't either,

June 10, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  23. NORA, FLORIDA

Once again the stupidity of America rises, when folks boasts about voting for McCain and Lieberman leading the way. LOL. Wake up folks, don't let pride and emotional defeat get in the way of you making the right decision.

Obama and Hillary's policies are virtually identically. Then you have McCain, who is so far off from the DEMS values and policies.

June 10, 2008 08:25 pm at 8:25 pm |
  24. DrFill

Good job being two-faced.
    Way to stand up for what you believe in.
    Nice!
    Credible.
    DrFill

June 10, 2008 08:26 pm at 8:26 pm |
  25. suz

Thank you, sir, for respecting your constituents. It's a novel approach these days.

June 10, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |