June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. Janet WV for Obama/Clinton

To tell you the truth, I don't care who some of these Republicans in Democratic seats vote for. If they can pay these ridiculous prices for gas, don't care about the number of families facing foreclosure, the increasing price of food, the 4,000 brave soldiers who have died based on a war undertaken with "faulty information", to mention just a few things, then go right ahead and support the other agenda. There are plenty of people who will not support an African-American candidate even if he offers the best hope for us. I would like to think we have evolved past that stage, but I guess not.

June 10, 2008 08:27 pm at 8:27 pm |
  2. Michael Mee

Enjoy getting black-listed by the party LOL

June 10, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  3. DAN

He represents 25% of Democrats and 60% of Independents that's alot of millions of people. But like Brazile says Obama doesn't really need those millions of religous gun clinging immigrant hating yahoos.

June 10, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  4. Andre Gomes

IAM A BRAZILIAN,I WILL VOTE FOR OBAMA HERE IN SAO PAULO ,THE WORLD HAS KNOWN THAT UNITED STATE OF AMERICA IS NUMBER ONE IN THE WORLD IN THE DEMOCRACY.WHO CARES WHETHER YOU VOTE OR ENDORSE OBAMA OR NOT TO HELL WITH YOU MAN.

June 10, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  5. Zagazaw

Can someone please make sense of this for me?

This guy say the country needs Obama, but he will not endores him because getting re-elected is more important than, uniting the pary. WoW.

June 10, 2008 08:28 pm at 8:28 pm |
  6. Common Sense

"This guy is smart.

Barack Hussein Obama will never be elected President of the USA.

We dems have shot ourselves in the foot for not making Clinton.

Hillary Clinton '12 & '16"

This comment shows the ignorance of the Fishers from Indiana and that the majority of the country does not agree with them. Use that 4 thousand dollars Obama will get for education and go to college Fishers.

YES WE CAN and YES WE WILL

June 10, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  7. Michigan Voter !!!

Rep. Dan Boren , A Democrat With Guts !!!!

God Bless You Sir !!!

Hillary Or John McCain

June 10, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  8. JD

Tulsa!

Finally I found few, a very few, of the 45 comments above that shows some of you can read.

Although, I've never voted for Boron and, as a booster for OSU, I definitely didn't support him as President of OU, I do understand what he said.

All you commenters that put down the state of Oklahoma should be amazed that finally; here is someone that listens to his constitutes instead of the other Rep.s in most of the other 49 states that don't.

I could say a lot more about the talking points of both and all of the other wannabes but I just took offense and/or umbrage to all those that bad mouthed and insulted the Great State of Oklahoma and ........ Never mind ........

June 10, 2008 08:29 pm at 8:29 pm |
  9. Lewis

This one goes out to all the Pro Life people, cheering for Mccain. Your not really pro-life if you are pro-war. Bombs abort more than just babies.

June 10, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  10. trock

This has been boring ever since Hillary left. Bunch of men with no guts not wanting to hurt each others feelings.

June 10, 2008 08:30 pm at 8:30 pm |
  11. TESAP

WE UNDERSTAND.... YOUR WIFE WON'T LET YOU... THAT'S FINE....

BIG QUESTION ALOT OF PEOPLE ON HERE CONSIDER THEMSELVES EX-DEMOCRATS..... WHEN DID YOU BECOME DEMOCRATS... WHAT CANDIDATE MADE YOU A DEMOCRAT... AND WHY ARE YOU AN EX-DEMOCRAT.... NO NO A REAL ANSWER

June 10, 2008 08:31 pm at 8:31 pm |
  12. Chris Mannoa

Just when we need real unity, this guy has to make headlines; thank you Hillary!

June 10, 2008 08:32 pm at 8:32 pm |
  13. Way to Unite

Good job, Obama. But you may want to pull the reins on your "voters." They're still doing what they've done to Clinton supporters...and it's not uniting.

And you still have work with the Clinton voters....

And enough with the McSame crap. That's the dumbest comeback and is the most undeducated strings of words that ever have come out of anyone's mouth.

There are 18 million people who feel the same way you do about this country. Sickening uncertainty. We just can't get on board with the hope stuff right now. We need a little bit more than that and we're still waiting for it. We'd rather voter for a moderate Republican than a way left 4-year Senator who has a slim resume working for our country.

June 10, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  14. john

political suicide...im not supporting him but im gonna vote for him? what the heck does that mean...it means well it was nice knowing all of yall in the congress...i wont be seeing you after november

June 10, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  15. Dick

To Enlightened Voter...
    What the heck does this have to do with Bill and Hillary....
    give it up...and you call yourself "enlightened".....NOT!

June 10, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  16. mk

millions of democrats agree

June 10, 2008 08:34 pm at 8:34 pm |
  17. D-Weezy - OH

You Hillary fanatics are killing me. Get over it you childish closet republicans. We don't care that Barack's middle name is Hussein. That's just another way for you racists to hide the real reason you won't vote for him and don't want people to vote for him. But hey it's cool we know that most of you are uneducated anyway so we understand. Especially when you are stupid enough to vote for McSame because you hate a man for...well one of the more obvious reasons. By the way you numb-skulls that keep bringing up the middle name Hussein, remember we don't name ourselves when we are born. Oh I'm sure you knew that, you just maybe a little to stupid to comperhend that. Hey I have another thing to say to all you closet repubs/Hillary supporters who are behaving so imaturely. Go vote for McSame, I'll drive you to the polls if you need a ride. If it weren't for his voters I'm not covinced that she would have had those numbers anyway so suit yourself slugger. We'll see what's up come election day 11/08. Be there or be square.

June 10, 2008 08:35 pm at 8:35 pm |
  18. antler

Fishers: So much for your down-right racism!

June 10, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  19. Obama is not what you think!!!!

Yea!!!! A democrate with a brain!!!! Obama is the way to ruin and the republicans have done a really good job with making sure the DNC puts up a candidate that cannot possibly beat McCain. The Democrats deserve everything they get!!!!!

June 10, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  20. KatieL

Obama is NOT the first choice of the majority of Democrats. He is way too liberal, not in line with mainstream values, and doesn't have enough experience. But the left-wing party activists forced him on the rest of us. They did everything possible to sabotage Hillary's campaign by mocking her and insisting that she could not win – when she still had a chance to win. This suppressed voter turnout and, even then, people showed they preferred Hillary. The people who voted for Obama BEFORE the Wright mess did not have a chance to express their true opinions because the truth was not made known to them. Dems for McCain 2008!

June 10, 2008 08:36 pm at 8:36 pm |
  21. right source

Ok, CNN at this point who cares!! Obama seems to be the only candidate that's making headlines. Do CNN stay abreast on the McCain's bid for presidency.....Oh, I forgot Obama is the only real candidate running.

June 10, 2008 08:37 pm at 8:37 pm |
  22. john

Barack Hussien Obama is a crazy man. Even the members of his own party cannot endorse him. Please vote McCain.

June 10, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  23. Herman in LA

For some u just can't change or convince no matter what it's in there blood. We don't need everyone we just need the majority. He is not going to be able to please everyone in the whole world and no one ever will.

June 10, 2008 08:38 pm at 8:38 pm |
  24. Roxanne NY

I would never vote for Obama and I am a Black woman. Liberals may try their scared tactics on me but in this party where everyone else has rights except any woman running for the presidency, Mc Cain looks pretty good to me.

I've been cursed out a lot by the Obamabots. Now that they really need me in November, I get my revenge on them. I have been a lifelong Democrat and I will soon be changing my party affiliation to Independent.

June 10, 2008 08:39 pm at 8:39 pm |
  25. Chip

This fool (and his brain-dead counterpart from Florida) has just reduced his stature in the party and the House so that his constituents will have virtually no representation following Obama's election. He's a very stupid man and a very stupid politician and his constituents need to replace him if they care about having their interests well represented in the House.

June 10, 2008 08:40 pm at 8:40 pm |