June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. Chris, Antioch, CA

So, do I have this straight? "I don't endorse him because my constituents probably wouldn't, but I'm voting for him because he's a much better choice than McCain"?

What a tool!

June 10, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  2. Jim from IL

What is wrong with these people. Obama won over the country. Now everyone must fall in line as they are supposed to. Obama beat everyone. I guess eveyrone is like Hillary and will not play by the rules if they can't win. What abunch of babies.

June 10, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  3. George

He will vote for him at the convention, but he won't endorse him for President. Isn't Boren a little confused? Why would you vote to approve your party's nominee but you won't endorse him? Does that mean he will be voting for McCain in the general elections. I am most confused, this political playbook is beyond me.

June 10, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  4. YoungPHX

Look Deb: as long as this man, OBAMA, is leading us away from IRAQ, 5 dollar a gallon gas, high unemployment and every other place we have been in the last 8 year, then it is OK.

If you feel so strongly against going forward with someone new, it is also alright to move to Texas when President Bush goes back there. Or to Rep. Dan Boren district in Oklahoma.

June 10, 2008 05:41 pm at 5:41 pm |
  5. TALK THE TALK

And just what have you done? Other than stand there and make these allegations?

You're either on the ship or you're on the dock. Pick one!

Who are you again? I already forgot...

June 10, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  6. Rich

Here you go: The unity ticket for McCain=Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress!!

June 10, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  7. Ernest

I guess not endorsing the democratic nominee is the first step to uniting the party. Way to go Boren.

Obama '08

June 10, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  8. Jerry

Why should we elect McCain and thats all he talk about is war, I dont want a warhead president we need a president who going to fix our issue home not iraq. The republican has our country in bad order i blame Bush and McCain for the bad econonmy and gas prices, and foreclosure. Why did McCain vote 95 times on Bush policy that would not help American. I would not forget that Bush and republican veto children health care for poor american children what you have to say about this Mccain

June 10, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  9. anthony

deb i can see you dont have much education

June 10, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  10. crazy bastages

i think he should choose someone who has some policies on the agenda instead of a bumper sticker slogan writter. anyone who think that highter taxes and universal health care are going to help the economy mice following the piper into the ocean. you will sink us all.
    vote libertarian, in other words have some common scence

June 10, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  11. Republican for Obama

Good for this guy. This is what more politician's should be like. I support Obama and I commend this man's stance.

June 10, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  12. Lynn

I am going to write to him and tell him what a great American he is. Our Governor, Senators and Representatives did not go with their state's wishes. That is why I am not voting for them.

June 10, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  13. Shane

THERE WILL BE MORE TO COME. SOME WILL NOT ENDORSE HIM.

June 10, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  14. Robin

Well, with all respects, it seems that some people want it both way.

June 10, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  15. MurphyMorseJohnson

Sounds like Senator Boren is confused... While he won't endorse Obama, he will vote for him at the DNC?????? As to the AUTHORS OF the Federalist Papers and the Constitiution's founding fathers, they might be a bit disappointed on your perspective of the role of a senator. While your constitutency is important, Senator, the United States' interests are paramount. Hopefully, you will properly balance your perspective and come to the realization there really is no choice but to vote Democrat. The Republican economy of eight years–$4.00 and rising gas costs, rising oil energy costs, inability to put food on the table or a shelter over one's head, inability to afford health insurance, and a trillion dollars spent on Iraq, countless lives lost–DEMANDS IT.

VOTE DEMOCRAT ! VOTE DEMOCRAT !! AND VOTE MORE DEMOCRAT !!!

June 10, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  16. Florida democrat

He is either ignorant of the issues or is not a real democrat. Obama has policies that blend views of both republicans and democrats and he certainly knows how to bring them together.

Boren looks like a young politician and I certainly hope that he just lost any opportunity he had at becoming a top leader in the democratic party.

June 10, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  17. Tom

If the superdelegates had all taken the stance that they were going to represent the will of the people who had elected them..........................the democratic party might be united by now, just with a different nominee.

June 10, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  18. Ben

Boren, please ensure you stay on the side of your people by endorsing Obama. the people of Oklahoma needs change. we the people have decided to be counted, we have endorsed Obama.

June 10, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  19. Sue in California

I respect that. I 'heart' Obama though and so do tons of my girlfriends in Cali

June 10, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  20. Philbert

"why should he vote for a man that doesnt know where he is going to take this country"

-as opposed to someone who can't remember where he said he would take the country?

June 10, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  21. T-Guns

I live in Oklahoma and I'll be sporting an Obama sign in my front yard. This guy has missed the boat on party unity and loyalty. Yes, he can represent his constituents when it comes to voting, but give me a break. Representative Boren is now a republican. Good luck with McSame.

June 10, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  22. Robert

"But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces."

Um there's a real contradiction here. I mean all power to you if you want to cross party lines and endorse who you feel is the right person. I applauded Giuliani for it when he was New York's Mayor but how can you say you won't support the man because of his record then say you'll vote for him?

June 10, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  23. rumpusgoopus

A Democrat attacking another Democrat for being too liberal? It's no wonder Democrats haven't been able to get anywhere with their policies in years.

Last I checked, Clinton and Obama's policies were almost the exact same. What a nutcase.

June 10, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  24. Noclinton

Just looks like a shameless publicity grab to me. And shame on CNN for even treating it as news. You're just giving him exactly what he wants.

June 10, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  25. DaveF

Some hypocrisy there. He says he will vote for him, yet not endorse him. He will vote for him because of the serious problems our country faces. He is good enough to solve the country's problems, yet not good enough to endorse. This young legislator seems to want his face out in the spotlight, even if it is to openly go against his party. I do believe in following the will of the people as their representative, just please do not contradict yourself.

June 10, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |