June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. Democrat

Hello Joe Liberman JR.

June 10, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  2. Impartial Jury

deb in az,
    and you know where mccain is taking us right. To Iran and beyond!!!

Funny how Republicans tow the party line, even when they know the path is crooked and Dems need to be dragged along for unification. CYA is what these guys are all about. Very courageous of them to put the wants of the few over the needs of the many.

June 10, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  3. Good for him!

Good for him. A man with his own mind and not just following blindly like the obama sheep.

June 10, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  4. big Al

ha. no one even knows whoever this nobody is. please deb in az. tell me where your boy mccain will take this country.

June 10, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  5. Dave in AK

There's something inconsistent here. He won't endorse Obama because he's too "liberal," but he'll vote for him at the convention because it's "an important time for our country." What? Are you voting for him or not? Instead of unhelpful labels like "liberal" and "conservative," why not explain the policy differences, and contrast with McCain? He's free to do what he wants, but his explanation is unsatisfying.

June 10, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  6. Ken Austin, TX

Well, why didn't you endorse Hillary, or John Edwards...or anyone else??? This is all a publicity stunt. You're just mad because you're not the Presidential nominee...just bitter because Obama could do it, and you couldn't. That's how I see it.

June 10, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  7. E for Obama

Voting or Endoresing, which one carries more weight?

If your going to vote for him anyway, just keep your opinions to yourself, don't give the republicans any more talking points.

Idiot!

June 10, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  8. ck

WOW! How refreshing, a politician that fulfills his duty and obligation to those who put him in office!

I like this guy!! More power to him!

June 10, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  9. J.C.

Boren is very courageous in being different, especially his reason for disagreeing with Obama is the will of his constituents. Many in D.C. should remember the reason why they are there.

June 10, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  10. Terri

what an idiot so is his constituents republicans or democrats?

Go Obama

June 10, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  11. Mike H.

Congratulations to Rep. Boren for correctly highlighting Obama's ultra-liberal record. As Boren said, Obama is not the bipartisan poitician his campaign makes him out to be. He has never worked with the Republicans and would be a polarizing figure as president.

June 10, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  12. Martha, Georgia

This man should be voted out of office for making such a stupid statement. Who else on the dem. ticket will he vote for other than BO, unless his plan is for the repub. OMG, what an idiot. And to add that the country is facing economic downturn, hello, under whose administration, McBush. Duhh.

June 10, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  13. concern ga. voter

well u can not please everyone

June 10, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  14. Travis S

Does anyone care? Enjoy your 15 minutes of fame.

June 10, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  15. Interesting Fact

Obama was ranked the most liberal senator in that study, but John McCain didn't even qualify for it because he didn't cast enough votes, so we have no idea how he would have ranked conservatively, so that attack is null and void unless McCain wants to promise to actually vote for the changes he wants to make, instead of just speaking about it and not casting even 35% of the votes in 2007.

June 10, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  16. Ilona Proud Canadian

I have a question.

Is Rep. Dan Boren the lone Democrat in Congress, married? Does he have a Mother, Father, Siblings or family of any kind?

I know, you are wondering why these questions? Well I find it very hard to believe his claim, "no one means more to me than the people who elected me" I am not questioning his commitment to those people who elected him, but I just think that his statement is a tad gushing.

June 10, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  17. Patriot

America needs a Prez Obama now more than ever!

It is a gross lack of an effective education that would cause a so-called Congressman not to know what it means to be a leader.
    And it is a gross lack of effective education why Americans of Oklahoma to elect such an individual to represent at the leadership level of the US.

Of course you listen to the wishes of your constituency; but a good leader has the obligation to offer his constituency the best option available to lead the nation.

No position IS NOT an option!
    Standing alone IS NOT an option for America!

There is no way on gaad's green earth that a Congressman standing alone is better off than endorsing a change of America's present economic and military direction.

June 10, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  18. Obama 4 President

who cares?

Obama has plenty of support from all sides he doesn't need this moron

oh and no more "he stole the election" crap from Hillary supporters he won fair and square without the DNC's help. You're just mad your candidate didn't win.

And don't vote for Obama, like i care. If you want McCain to send women's rights back the 50's and start a war with Iran be my guest. But in 4 years I don't want to hear how much you hate McCain if you voted for him. You were warned.

June 10, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  19. LUCYNA

Go ahead, vote for McCain and welcome a nuclear war with Iran. Bomb, bomb, bomb, bomb Iran.
    Don't complain later on that your bank account is dry, you lost you home, your job and having a car became luxury since you can't afford to filled up a gas tank.

June 10, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  20. CW, St. Paul

Not working in a bi-partisan fashion? Lugar-Obama sound familiar? Coborn-Obama? This guy believes the talking point that Obama is the most liberal? Is he high?

June 10, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  21. Principles?

He won't endorse him but will vote for him at the convention? Now THERE'S there's a man who lives by his principles!

And Mahoney "plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention?"

These guys must've checked their backbones at the door when they got elected to Congress...

June 10, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  22. Gen. DM

I on the other hand believe he need to sit down with Senator Obama. The big problem there is Senator Obama stance on Illegal Immigration.. This is in the believe of those who actually understand Business and graduated from college will tell you so many illegal people working in the US is a Internal War that America will loose out on it not controlled.....

June 10, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  23. Kathy

Yet another Rep. that has seen the light-thank you Dan
    Come Nov, the DNC will hear from the rest of us.

These so called “superdelegates” of the party failed their constituents miserably. They chose “change” with no experience over “change” with experience. By doing so, they disenfranchised Clinton supporters and abandoned the strongest candidate to head the ticket. We have carried your water for many years; however we are not allowed to drink from the same well??? No MORE. These party elitist should have pledged their allegiants based on fact-not fiction. Hillary with her tremendous strength, knowledge and courage was tossed aside for an ill-qualified community organizer with two years of Senate experience. I firmly believe Obama to be the weakest candidate to head the ticket. Those same party leaders did not have the courage to realize this and they will pay a price for their stupidity.
    I have been a loyal supporter of the party my entire adult life-No More. You have shown me time and time again that you are gutless and have no clear clue how to win elections. You lack the vision and the wisdom to do anything other than pat your own pockets and run from the truth-for shame. Your actions have forced many of us centralist democrats to seek alliance with the moderate conservative wing of the Republican Party.
    I do not speak for all Hillary supporters, though I do hope I speak for many of them when I say to the party…. you have failed us-you have failed Hillary, and you will once again fail to win the White House, and because of your failure-the party WILL pay a high price. I watched and listen to Hillary ask her supporters to now throw their support to Obama, for the sake of the party. Hillary is a loyalist to the party-why, I’m not sure.
    I respect Hillary tremendously, however the party and the process did her wrong and this cannot stand. YES THIS WILL BE A PROTEST VOTE, a vote against the DNC-you need to clean your act up and remember your core constituents, because “Yes We Can” make a difference. I am not afraid of McCain, he does not represent 4 more years of Bush-no one could possibly be that stupid. I believe him to be a man of honor who will do his best for this country and its people that he cares deeply for, and for that reason I will place my hope with him.
    And to those Obama supporters, I am not “bitter” “old” “ugly” “uneducated” “living in a trailer” “sleeping with my uncle” or “picking my teeth with wood” . I am however, disenfranchised and VERY angry.
    And one last thing, please don’t lecture me about McCain’s record-I know exactly where he stands on all the issues, and I will still cast my vote for him.

June 10, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  24. Josh Henderson

Who is this idoit

June 10, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  25. Patrick

As opposed to McCain, who contradicts himself with just about every breath he takes.

June 10, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |