June 11th, 2008

Oklahoma Dem won't endorse Obama

Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.
Boren said Tuesday he won't be endorsing Obama.

(CNN) - On the same day Democratic leaders stressed party unity after the drawn out primary fight, one congressional Democrat said Tuesday he will not endorse Barack Obama's bid for the White House.

Rep. Dan Boren, Oklahoma's lone Democrat in Congress, told the Associated Press Obama is "the most liberal senator," and said he has to listen to the wishes of his own constituents.

"We're much more conservative," Boren said of his rural district which stretches across the eastern part of the state and borders Kansas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas.

"I've got to reflect my district. No one means more to me than the people who elected me. I have to listen to them," Boren added. His congressional office confirmed the accuracy of the quotes to CNN.

Boren also said Obama's record "does not reflect working in a bipartisan fashion." But the Oklahoma Democrat said he would vote for Obama at the party's convention in August because of the serious issues the country faces.

"I think this is an important time for our country," he said. "We're facing a terrible economic downturn. We have high gasoline prices. We have problems in our foreign policy. That's why I think it's important."

Watch: McCain and Obama go on the attack

Boren's comments come a day after Florida Democratic Rep. Tim Mahoney also said he has no plans to make a formal endorsement. The freshman Democrat, who replaced Republican Rep. Mark Foley following House page scandal, told the Palm Beach Post he plans on remaining an uncommitted superdelegate and may not even attend the convention.

Full story

Filed under: Candidate Barack Obama
soundoff (1,255 Responses)
  1. Howard, Westport CT

Do his constituents want more years of war?? Do they want continued low taxes on the wealthiest Americans?Do his constituents want to role back a women's right to choose?? Do his constituents want continued subsidies to large oil companies?? Do they want an escalation in tension in the Middle East due to our unwillingness to engage our friend and enemies alike in diplomacy??Do they want 8 more years of real wages declining vs. inflation??
    If people in Oklahoma want this I must say I am impressed with their stupidity.

June 10, 2008 05:52 pm at 5:52 pm |
  2. Jay

Deb – what do you base you comments on regarding Obama "not knowing where he is going to take this country?" What documentation can you provide to substantiate your statements?

June 10, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  3. A.M.

Follow the wishes of your voters those who elected you. But what will be your answer if they want you to wear "Red" underwears, instead of "Blue". Do you have the solution for that too?

A.M.
    Houston, Texas

June 10, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  4. yk

FOOL!

June 10, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  5. lars

Poor guy. Go take a Midol and cry over a tub of ice cream

June 10, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  6. Elle

Dozens of superdelegates have ignored the states results and the voters wishes and we are stuck with a nominee that is everything but a winner of merit but rather a served platter by the party and politicians.
    Stolen votes,delegates and ignoring the people is something that can not be endorsed.
    My hat goes off to Dan Boren .

June 10, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  7. Elly from Wisconsin

I think this is someone who wants it both ways. I won't endorse him but I will cast my ballot for him at the convention. If his very conservative constituents voted for a Democrat (him) then wouldn't they expect him to endorse the Democratic candidate. Is he trying to have his cake and eat it too? If he were my representative I would vote him out because he has no conviction of his own.

June 10, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  8. Photon Torpedo Dallas, TX

I'm actually glad this happened. Layers of the Democratic Party that are polluted with ancient ties or fear are peeling away. Time to refesh the waters. Thanks you actually did us a favor.

Yes We Can & Yes We Will

Obama 08'

June 10, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  9. Jay edward

well deb in az, if any one votes in Mccain ,this counrty will be bankrupt,
    you women will lose your equal rights, there will be more death and hatred and debt for the US. republicans have distroyed this nation.
    and Obama doesnt know where he's going to take this country? wake up and save your last remaining rights and hope for survivial.
    JE

June 10, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  10. Cheryl

Deb,

It is obvious that McCain has no clue where he is planning on taking the country. I believe if you love paying $4 to $5 dollar a gallon for gas and high prices for food. Deb, I think you should also vote for McCain. At that point, you have no reason to complain about the economy.

Good Luck!

June 10, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  11. Damien, Rochester, NY

Boren is gutless. As a politician who cares more about reelection than what is right, one thing is certain – he'll end up a republican....

June 10, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  12. Alex in MA

CNN,

Are there no news about McCain? Oh I know, "My comment is awaiting moderation". I get it. Here you go again trying to bring Obama down! The worst new media on the planet. You are not going to post this anyway so I can say that your organization are made up of incompetents who call themselves jornalists!

June 10, 2008 05:53 pm at 5:53 pm |
  13. Ron in VA

Why did he hold a press conference and not just talk to Sen Obama or the DNC? Shall we just call him Little Liebeman?

June 10, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  14. J. Francisco Anguiano

Shoddy job by the headline writer, knowing in full the poor critical thinking and lax reading comprehension vis-a-vis "conservatives" libertarian whims on these accounts.

June 10, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  15. M.S. Indiana

A sheep and not a leader... Step up to the new world Dan Boren, the repulican party is the dog food no ones want...
    So don't be scared to lead, we will show Bush how it is done

June 10, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  16. cevans, tx

Does Senator Obama really need his endorsement. By saying conservative, he really meant "RACIST". Yes, I went there!!! It is what it is...Oklahomians are proud of it too!!

Obama will become president without it!!

Bigots!!!

June 10, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  17. Liz

I'm confused. Rep. Boren-Oklahoma will not endorse Obama but he will vote for him at the convention. What? To me, voting for someone means endorsing what they stand for. Does anyone else agree?

June 10, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  18. Billion

yeah this guy is an idiot. ITS HOW THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS WORKS. MAJORITY RULES. SUPPORT YOUR PARTY LEADER. Even if Hilary came in, I personally would NOT like it. but i would support her. People like this Boren guy who make America look bad. Take a hike bud

June 10, 2008 05:54 pm at 5:54 pm |
  19. Uniter

Somebody's craving attention.....

June 10, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  20. BB in NC

That's cool...he'll get re-elected and then spend the next (at least 8) years in dead end positions on dead-end Democratic-led Cong. Committees.
    That will represent his constituents' interests well, eh?
    Stupid move...might as well just turn Republican now. He will be ostracized and shunned.

June 10, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  21. Klaus

Huh? He's going to vote for Obama at the convention because of the serious issues the country faces but he won't endorse? This guy is a typical spineless Washington pol. By the way, UCSD did a rigorous study of voting records that puts the National Journal crap to shame. Obama ranked as the 22nd most liberal Senator in the 109th Congress, Clinton ranked the 25th. Of course, Clinton ran to the left of Obama during the primaries, but that doesn't mean anything when you're pandering to racist Okies.

June 10, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  22. dd from Texas

Who in the heck is Boren anyway? What sense does it make to vote for Obama in the general election but you won't endorse him? Tim Mahoney should stay home if he can't support our party!!!
    It's really sad that there's so much division among colleagues.
    I think it's just an excuse not to vote for an African-American.

June 10, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  23. You have got to be kidding

Are you kidding me? If the wishes of his constituents are contrary to 99% of the party, then maybe they need to rethink their party affiliation!

June 10, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  24. Independent for Obama

Why does this guy think he is so important? If he had just not endorsed, it wouldn't be an issue. Instead, he has to hold a press conference to say he isn't endorsing.

This is just pettiness.

June 10, 2008 05:55 pm at 5:55 pm |
  25. LYNETTE IN CA

Won't endorse, but will vote for at the convention, but didn't say if he would vote in the general election?? I guess, everything is not OK in Oklahoma.

There are more important issues at stake w/this election!

GObama '08