June 11th, 2008

Poll shows Obama picking up Clinton voters

A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.
A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.

(CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Barack Obama is picking up support among older female voters, a demographic that largely voted for Hillary Clinton in the prolonged Democratic primary race.

The findings could be a sign the Illinois senator is making significant strides among that bloc of voters, who had been fiercely loyal to Clinton and potentially ambivalent about supporting Obama in the general election.

WATCH Analysis of why Clinton supporters are moving toward Obama

According the new survey out by Gallup, Obama now holds a 6 point lead over McCain among women over 50 nationwide, 47 to 41 percent. That compares to a 3 point lead (46 to 43 percent) McCain held over Obama in a similar poll taken last week just days before Hillary Clinton conceded the nomination.

WATCH Clinton urge her supporters to back Obama

Extended to all female voters, Obama now holds a 13 point lead over McCain, up 8 points from this time last week.

Eight days after the Democratic nomination officially came to an end, Alan Silverleib, CNN Senior Political Researcher, said the poll provides "solid evidence that the wounds of the Democrats’ long primary season are already starting to heal."

“Obama will need most of Clinton’s women supporters to beat McCain in November," Silverleib said. "Fortunately for Obama, many of these supporters are apparently rallying to his side.”

1. Down with Obama

We don't believe your polls CNN. We know how biased you are for Obama!!!!!!

June 11, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  2. Lee W. in Raleigh, NC

Gosh, I hate this slicing and dicing of America, but as part of the "over 50 white woman" slice, I just wanted to comment that I'm delighted to see this progress for Democrats and ultimately for all of us as Americans.

Obama '08

June 11, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  3. andy

It will take more then Gallup to make me believe that they are in Obamas corner anyway, and they have been the most wrong all election season thats why no one pays attention to them and they are trying to get it now ! gess

June 11, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  4. Pete

It's inevitable that the majority of Hillary supporters will vote for Obama in November. They were nearly identical with the issues that matter in this election. As always, there are hurt feelings, thoughts of betrayal and wrongdoing when ones supported candidate does not win, but those feelings subside, and the issues will prevail. For when that time comes, we will be able to celebrate change. It will be a wonderful day.

June 11, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  5. A-Man

They need to redo the 3 am ad for McCain. First it should be the 3 pm ad, with the phone ringing waking him up from his afternoon nap. Then on his bedside (Bush's old bedside table) should be a number of buttons. Pushed already is the attack Iraq button. Beside it should be the attack Iran button and so on including countries like Britain and Canada. Also the nuke the planet button. Upon being surprisingly awoke McCain can panic reaching over hitting numerous of these buttons. Maybe he can hit the Canada button and it can be his press advisor on the phone, he can tell him or her to schedule a press conference so he can explain he had to attack Canada as Canada was threatening to send their dangerous beavers into the US.

June 11, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  6. Norb

After eight years of the fiasco Bush administration. How can anybody really be serious of switching their votes to John McCain? Obama in a landslide. Vote for who you want you Republicans posing as Hillary Democrats. Adios, Bush Chenney, Rove and all the other crooks that took this country and put egg on it's face.

June 11, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  7. Marc PDX

He should pick a woman as running mate. It is time after all! And since it's apparently not necessary for any of this to actually make any sense...

Obama/Ferrera '08

June 11, 2008 05:20 pm at 5:20 pm |
  8. I don't think so

I'm now NEVER going to vote for the man who used my own early willingness to vote for him (if HRC lost the nomination) as a weapon against my first choice candidate.

Yes... that's right. The Early polls all showed that the haters for Obama were dead set against HRC. The HRC supporters were more openminded and said they would go with Obama if he were the nominee.

Then Obama took that as a means to gloat and brag and falsely declare that HE could win back HER voters, but not the other way around. I think that was a manipulative lie. Why would that be? In reality, the Obama supporters have more to lose with a McCain win.

So now many of us will never vote for such a dirty politician.

June 11, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  9. TO

Wonderful! That's exactly what Sen. Clinton asked her supporters to do. We respect her wish!

June 11, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  10. Alanna

Poor USA June 11th, 2008 5:00 pm ET

That says something about McCain…

It does not say anything positive about Obama.

Obama hasn't "won" these women over… Women have no "good" choice anymore so they are picking from the 2 lousy choices that are left.

This is a sorry and sad time for democracy.

---–

Um, don't think so. I have a good choice and its Barack Obama.

He's been my choice for awhile now and I won't waver on that.

I believe there are plenty of other woman who will say that.

I'm sorry but you folks that aren't happy are just gonna have to move on and vote for the candidate that will lead this country out of the mess we're in.

Obama 08 12

June 11, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  11. Shannon

This is because these women understand that McCain is the exact opposite of Hillary Clinton. Obama and Clinton share 98% of the same policies and agenda for the future of this country. There is too much at stake in this election to let McCain push forward his old agenda.

June 11, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  12. EDW

I think that we should be able to look at the marriage and family life of the candidate and judge for ourselves if that falls in line with our beliefs. I believe in a nuclear marriage and lean towards what I see in the family life of Obama. He also has a strong outspoken woman. Something that people like about Hillary Clinton.
    I see Cindy McCain taking an un-interested back seat to what is going on in our country. She also got involved with McCain while he was still married to his first wife. I don't look to highly at the heiress.

DEMS 08

June 11, 2008 05:21 pm at 5:21 pm |
  13. pakuna

obama is like a cattle dog. nipping at your legs and barking leading you to a cliff. the Kenya citizen will not get my vote.

June 11, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  14. Republicans posing as Democrats

Here we go there are Republicans posing as Democrats in here to try and keep the party split, please read post carefully and make up your own mind. The people that say millions of Clintons supporters won't support Obama are hoping to get McCain in the white house and are voting Republican anyway.

June 11, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  15. LS

Thanks for being good sports! OBAMA '08!

June 11, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  16. Michelle

I really think most of the so called dems who put Obama down on this blog are actually recruits of the old silly moron republican Rush Limabaugh
    82% of Americans are against McBush
    I seriously think McCain is getting dementia and I am not being rude by saying that....there are just too many blunders by him for him to be a credible president !!!!
    and as for Romney ...hes just an arrogant wannabee VP
    thats exactly why the american people were not drawn to him bc of
    his arrogance!!!

June 11, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  17. Consuela

Fired up! Ready to go!!

OBAMA ALL THE WAY!

June 11, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  18. KateLynn

As an Obama supporter, I don't trust some of the posts here from people who identify themselves as Obama supporters and heap abuse down on Hillary or the other way around. They are probably cowardly McSame supporters trying to get us Democrats to fight one another.

Most Hillary and Obama supporters have made up. After all we don't want a "let them eat short term dividends" McSame leading us into more wars and even a weaker dollar.

Obama-Sebilius '08!

June 11, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  19. Whatever!

I support Obama but i wish you would stop with the polls. I'm voting for Obama and that's that. These polls hurt my head really......

June 11, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  20. Zach

This kind of reminds me of my college days rooting for my beloved SIU Salukis. In basketball we hated Creighton. Didn't like them when we played them. As soon as the regular season was over though, I couldn't wait to see them play and win in the tournament.

I hope Clintons supporters will realize that her and Obama are basically one in the same when it comes to ideals and the direction of our country. Don't do her, the party and our country a disservice by voting for McCain.

June 11, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  21. monterey via memphis tn

looks like the party is starting to heal GREAT !!!!!!!!. this also shows that real demorcrats know that a lot not all of these so called HRC supporters saying all these ignorant things on these blogs are really republicans causing havoc because they are shakin in their boots. they know that we are about to take control of the country and move it back in a positive direction. they also are already feeling the fire because of all the seats they are going to loose in places they thought where safe . THIS IS A GREAT TIME TO BE A DEMORCRAT

OBAMA/WEBB 08-16

June 11, 2008 05:22 pm at 5:22 pm |
  22. Gerry

When women find out McCain voted against the bill for equal pay for women, wants to appeal the Roe case, and wants to privatize social security, women and all seniors will flock to Obama.

June 11, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  23. MARYANN Oswego IL

I will never vote for OBAMA....I cannot even listen to him LIE anymore ...I cannot watch him on TV stealing everything Hillary was going to do....Hillary Clinton /Al Gore 08-12-Al Gore/Harold Ford Jr 16-20

June 11, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  24. julie mn

THE OBAMA BLOGGERS WORK FOR TODAY, GO OUT AND POST AS REFORMED HILLARY SUPPORTERS,

GET SOME INTEGRITY AND MORALS CNN, YOU DO AN UNJUSTICE TO THE AMERICAN PEOPLE..

June 11, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  25. chuck

Obama will be seen for the empty suit he really is by November; even the women will stop drooling over his candidacy.

June 11, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |