June 11th, 2008

Poll shows Obama picking up Clinton voters

A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.
A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.

(CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Barack Obama is picking up support among older female voters, a demographic that largely voted for Hillary Clinton in the prolonged Democratic primary race.

The findings could be a sign the Illinois senator is making significant strides among that bloc of voters, who had been fiercely loyal to Clinton and potentially ambivalent about supporting Obama in the general election.

WATCH Analysis of why Clinton supporters are moving toward Obama

According the new survey out by Gallup, Obama now holds a 6 point lead over McCain among women over 50 nationwide, 47 to 41 percent. That compares to a 3 point lead (46 to 43 percent) McCain held over Obama in a similar poll taken last week just days before Hillary Clinton conceded the nomination.

WATCH Clinton urge her supporters to back Obama

Extended to all female voters, Obama now holds a 13 point lead over McCain, up 8 points from this time last week.

Eight days after the Democratic nomination officially came to an end, Alan Silverleib, CNN Senior Political Researcher, said the poll provides "solid evidence that the wounds of the Democrats’ long primary season are already starting to heal."

“Obama will need most of Clinton’s women supporters to beat McCain in November," Silverleib said. "Fortunately for Obama, many of these supporters are apparently rallying to his side.”

1. Caryn, WDC

I am an Obama supporter...but had things gone the other way, I would have voted for Hillary without any second thoughts.

Let's stop being Obama supporters and Hillary supporters and just be good Democrats.

Democrats Unite '08

June 11, 2008 05:23 pm at 5:23 pm |
  2. Lynn

Kevin don't you read the newspaper, blogs, watch the 24 hour news cycle, radio and you tell me she wasn't treated unfairly. Where have you been? In space. Think about your mother, grandmother, sisters, wife, girlfriend and your daughters – which of the above apply to you. I would not wish what she endured on my worse enemy.

June 11, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  3. gary

KEVIN. YOUR AS BLIND AS A BAT. CONCRETE PROOF. SHE WINS STATES THEY ENDORSE O.B. HOW MUCH MORE DO YOU NEED. THIS RACE WAS FIXED WITH BIAS AGAINST HRC. SUPER DELIGATES COULDN'T EVEN WAIT UNTIL PRIMARIES OVER BEFORE THEY PUSH HIM OVER THE LINE. WHAT A JOKE. YOUR JUST ANOTHER HATER. YOU COULD SEE IT PLAIN AS DAY ,BUT YOUR SO BRAINWASHED YOU WOULD BELIEVE IN YOUR MESSIAH O.B. THE COUNTRY COULD FALLIF HE GETS ELECTED ,YOU LOST MINDED VOTERS WOULD HEAR A EMPTY SPEECH FROM HIM ,AND EVERYTHING WILL BE FIND. HE WONT WIN IN NOV. HIS HATERS MADE OUR CHOICE EASY. ITS NOT GOING AGAINST HRC, ITS SAVING OUR COUNTRY FROM A GREENHORN WITH NO KNOWLEDGE HOW TO BRING ANY CHANGE BUT HATE,RACIST AND DIVISION.

June 11, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  4. Anne in CT

They better take another poll.

June 11, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  5. HENRIE WARE

I HAVE BEEN A OBAMA SUPPORTER FROM DAY ONE BUT MY SISTERS WHERE CLINTON SUPPORTERS BUT THEY HAVE COME HOME TO OBAMA THEY CAN'T STAND MCSAME

June 11, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  6. Rus in St. Paul, MN

I don't know why any woman would support McCain. The same guy who called said to his wife "At least I don't plaster on the makeup like a trollop, you c%$t" after she teased him about his hair.

Is that the kind of man women can get behind?

June 11, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  7. Welcome Hillary Supporters!

Not all of them!!

I'd like to welcome all the Hillary Clinton supporters to the republican party and thank you for coming to your senses and backing the best candidate, John McCain.

Together we can:

1) help reverse Roe v. Wade and make abortion illegal – let's stop the murder of unborn babies!

2) stop gays from getting married – let's get a constitutional amendment to stop gay marriage and let them know they are not normal!

3) keep fighting the good fight in Iraq for as long as it takes – remember 9/11 and what we are fighting for!

4) get ready to invade Iran – we know they are planning to nuke us – let's get them first! McCain will make sure we do!

Good to see democrats finally waking up and becoming more conservative!

June 11, 2008 05:24 pm at 5:24 pm |
  8. Independent (Ex-Democrat) in Iowa

Again, pro-Obama CNN is stiring it up again.

I'm undecided. I won't be 'delivered' to him. He has a lot of work to do to win my vote in November.

June 11, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  9. Joe, Northern Virginia

The worse polls for Republicans will come in November. The Republicans are out of touch with the American people. Their double standards and hypocrisies are coming back to bite them. Real bad karma for them this time.

June 11, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  10. who really knows?

This whole campaign has been a lot of propaganda to create a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I say...

Let's wait and see, sweetie

June 11, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  11. gogirls

I wish Hillary was our nominee! Obama has to earn my vote- he has not done that yet.

June 11, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  12. american dream

good news......... together we can take our country back

June 11, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  13. J Allen

I absolutely do not believe this poll which has McCain's support shrinking and moving to Obama and the commentary is implying that the Clinton voters are flocking to Obama!

June 11, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  14. Chris

Hillary supporters-

Welcome aboard! Let's crush the Republicans in November!

June 11, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  15. Marcy

I take offense at the Obama supporters who make comments here that those who do not support Obama don't understand how the process works and claim that Clinton supporters are "outright dumber than dirt" - It is this arrogance that drives people like myself further away from Obama, a man who lacks experience and is a typical pandering politician.

Did you ever think that people supported Clinton for good reasons instead of hollow promises of hope and change? The constant belittling of the many who preferred a qualified, well-respected candidate in Clinton is befuddling.

June 11, 2008 05:25 pm at 5:25 pm |
  16. Obama 08

Obama will get women votes because he cares about the issues that are important to women. Unlike Mccain who had to leave his former wife who stood with him while he was pow just because she had an accident that disfigured her body for a millionare 18yrs youger than him.

June 11, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  17. jimmy velman

ALTHOUGH BILL RICHARDSON'S CHANCES OF BECOMING OBAMA'S VP RUNNING MATE ARE ABOUT AS LIKELY AS A SNOWSTROM IN THE MIDDLE OF AUGUST, I DO WISH OBAMA CHOOSES RICHARDSON AS HIS VP PARTNER.

June 11, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  18. Randy

I dont believe the Clinton backers are going to obama, that is just the politics at play saying that, everyone I know and speak with including myself has decided to vote for JOHN MCCAIN, even though we have always voted democrat before.

June 11, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  19. David in Illinois

This is excellent news! Unity in the Democratic Party is not a fairy tail, as some McCain folks - posing as angry, disgruntled Hillary backers - would have you believe. Very, very smart women these pro-Hillary folk. Just like the former candidate. It honors Hillary, who urged all her followers to set aside any anger for the good of the country. In other words: no more years for the Bush-McCain policies.
    And did you hear the latest? A date for starting the withdrawal from Iraq "is not important" to John McCain. He REALLY means it when he says he doesn't care if we're there another 100 years! And when the country is roiling from record high gas prices, soaring food costs, rising unemployment, a jittery stock market... all this guy cares about is spending all our human treasure and financial treasure on Iraq. It saddens me and angers me.

June 11, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  20. David Goldman for OBAMA

LADIES I PROMISE YOU, THE MAN THAT WAS RAISED

MOSTLY BY HIS MOTHER & GRANDMOTHER LOVES YOU

DEEPLY AND WILL DO MORE FOR YOU THAN ANY ONE

EVER HAS.. MCBIGOT VOTED YOUR INTERESTS DOWN

EVERY OPPORTUNITY HE HAS HAD & WILL IN THE FUTURE.

MCWAR WILL WORK ON REVERSING ROVE V. WADE AS SOON

AS HE CAN. ONE MORE OF HIS KIND ON THE SUPREME

COURT WILL DO JUST THAT.THERE IS NO QUESTION ABOUT

IT.MCWAR IS ALSO A DISASTER WITH NATIONAL SECURITY.

THERE IS NO NATIONAL SECURITY IN ATTACKING NATIONS

THAT HAVE DONE NOTHING TO US. IRAQ & IRAN IN BED

TOGETHER. HOW DOES THAT WORK FOR US?

June 11, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  21. Sweetie

You don't have my vote or that of anyone I've talked with....

other then my daughter who is 23 years old-so itis what you would expect.

There isn't any way for you to "Win" me over.

I'm a conservative patriot!

I will be voting for McCain-my conservative War Hero with a wife who will make a GREAT First Lady!

June 11, 2008 05:26 pm at 5:26 pm |
  22. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

wait.. couldn't let this slide from the previous topic.. (obama's "vetter" stepping down)

So...
    Let me get this straight...
    A person who Obama brought on TWO WEEKS AGO to vet his VP candidates.... got a legal mortgage from a legal program that was set up to give people in their circle... mortgages.

and the WALL STREET JOURNAL... beacon of non-partisan journalism, that it is....) VETTED the person who was to VET the candidates...

so..... the point is...... WHAT, exactly....?

this is somehow supposed to reflect poorly on Obama while McCain's top staffer, (former sen. Phil Gramm) is the architect of the mortgage de-regulation bill DIRECTLY RESPONSIBLE for today's mortgage crises gets a free ride... (hey... tell me again how the media is in Obama's pocket..)

June 11, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  23. CATHY

I'm still not voting for obama no matter what.Hillary had my support I' m writting her name in November.Hillary supporter write her name in do not vote fo obama do not trust him.Like michelle obama said she would have to think about voting for Hillary.Well i have thought and guess what I'm not voting for him.

June 11, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  24. Not This Woman!

BO's not getting this woman, that's for sure. Don't liek him, don;t trust him, will not vote for him. P.U.M.A.!!!

blog.pumapac.org

June 11, 2008 05:27 pm at 5:27 pm |
  25. Mister Anderson

Once those older women find out about Carol McCain.....Obama will be winning their vote by the same margins he is winning the black vote.

June 11, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |