June 11th, 2008

Poll shows Obama picking up Clinton voters

A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.
A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.

(CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Barack Obama is picking up support among older female voters, a demographic that largely voted for Hillary Clinton in the prolonged Democratic primary race.

The findings could be a sign the Illinois senator is making significant strides among that bloc of voters, who had been fiercely loyal to Clinton and potentially ambivalent about supporting Obama in the general election.

WATCH Analysis of why Clinton supporters are moving toward Obama

According the new survey out by Gallup, Obama now holds a 6 point lead over McCain among women over 50 nationwide, 47 to 41 percent. That compares to a 3 point lead (46 to 43 percent) McCain held over Obama in a similar poll taken last week just days before Hillary Clinton conceded the nomination.

WATCH Clinton urge her supporters to back Obama

Extended to all female voters, Obama now holds a 13 point lead over McCain, up 8 points from this time last week.

Eight days after the Democratic nomination officially came to an end, Alan Silverleib, CNN Senior Political Researcher, said the poll provides "solid evidence that the wounds of the Democrats’ long primary season are already starting to heal."

“Obama will need most of Clinton’s women supporters to beat McCain in November," Silverleib said. "Fortunately for Obama, many of these supporters are apparently rallying to his side.”

1. Atlian

Hillary had 18 million voters. How many people post on message boards? You are not the majority.

June 11, 2008 05:28 pm at 5:28 pm |
  2. Viceroy Regal

To all my fellow Democrats- I thought of a new game we can play!! lets see how many blogs we find with all the names used with the word "Mc"in front of them, I'm sure we will have a field day on this!!

Another thing- to all you republicans who tends to use the word
    (stupid , dumb , idiots) in your blogs- referring to us dems. Try using spell check when you blog. It's kinda mind boggling when you call us these names , and yet your spelling in these blogs reflect you as such!! "STIDUP".

June 11, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  3. Florida doesn't forget

I might tell you I'll vote for him to get you off my back. But when I get in the voting booth, my vote will go to McCain.

June 11, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  4. Mat

I love how there are still some miss guided people who have no clue who or what McCain stands for – but because they're upset that Obama beat out Hillary they're going to vote for him.

I bet that if it were McCain that had beaten out Hillary all these people would be voting for Obama!

Can November be here allready – I don't know how many more fluff storys from CNN I can take

June 11, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  5. Shannon

What exactly is wrong with my comment that I can't get this past the moderators? I tell you CNN I have never seen such insane moderation of comments posted on a blog by an organization in my life! Let's try this again.

This is because these women understand that McCain is the exact opposite of Hillary Clinton. Obama and Clinton share 98% of the same policies and agenda for the future of this country. There is too much at stake in this election to let McCain push forward his old agenda.

June 11, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  6. Time to get over the primaries - Simply_kris

This election is about us – country, our future – everything.Please dont make personal grudge beat you to making a wise decision.
    I cannot vote, but i want common good – for all the people in the world.I have never gotten so much involved in any election before.I must say, US has brought out the best in me !

June 11, 2008 05:29 pm at 5:29 pm |
  7. Democrat in LA

Hey PUMA traitors, this officially makes you the lunatic fringe of the party now. Congratulations.

June 11, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  8. Nikole

No self-respecting woman would vote for John McCain and his policy to keep your children in Iraq, and mandate what you may or may not do with your own body. It is not natural for a woman to vote for McCain, it should go against their biology.

June 11, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  9. Joyce in Florida

I still AM NOT one of the female voters moving over to the Obama camp. It will take me some time to think about this one. Especially after the way Hillary Clinton was treated by the media, the DNC, and the Obama camp. I am not sure what I will do this coming November. I am really upset about the outcome of the democratic nominee for President. Senator Obama is going to have to prove to all of Hillary Clinton's supporters that he will unify, not divide. Ever since Obama started his campaign, he has been the most divisive person I have ever seen. He has to prove alot to the American people. You cannot buy my vote Senator Obama. You have stolen this election from Hillary Clinton period. You can fool some, but not all. STILL SUPPORTING HILLARY CLINTON FOREVER!!!!!!!

June 11, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  10. AnnT

I always have thought that "most" of HRC supporters would come around. To them I say "thank you for helping to save our nation by an Obama vote. I am a 60 year old Obama suppporter and proud of it.

Btw, there will always always be a percentage of HRC supporters who will not vote for BHO, BUT this percentage will get smaller and Obama will continue to increase his lead in other groupes (besides ovr 50 woman), so I wouldn't sweat it.

Obama 08

June 11, 2008 05:30 pm at 5:30 pm |
  11. AtlantaDan

THIS HILLARY SUPPORTER IS WAITING TO SEE HOW HE TREATS HER BEFORE I MAKE MY DECISION. I AM A TRUE DEMOCRAT THAT WILL NOT ONLY VOTE FOR MCCAIN BUT SUPPORT HIM FINANCIALLY. WHAT WOULD YOU OBAMA FOLKS BE SAYING IF THE SHOE WAS ON THE OTHER FOOT???? PROBABLY BE CALLING HILLARY A RACIEST FOR NOT ALREADY SELECTING HIM.

June 11, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  12. Mommy

I'm telling you = when the election is about the lesser of the evils Obama wins EVERY time!

June 11, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  13. Hans-Erik Iken

Great, I knew we could count on the ladies. Thank you for your support and trust. I am sure that you will not be disappointed.

You rock ladies, show McCain that you will not be taken in by him trying to suck up to the women, only to stab them in the back on Roe v. Wade, the economy and your sons and daughters staying in Iraq until he decides that hell just froze over.

June 11, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  14. MDB Baltimore

Mary ...

I have so many words for you – but I'll keep it short and sweet. If you are over 50 I would expect you to know that all people can have those moments and "lie". However, it doesn't make us big green monsters! I believe the only man that never told a lie may had been George Washington :). OK... now to your more mature side – and as a woman please pay close attention – if you believe in oppression, then McCain's your man. If you believe in equal rights for all – then Obama should be for you. If you want to put our economy in the hands of someone with enough experience to tell you that he doesn't know much about the subject – then go for it – McCain all the way. However, if you are like the rest of us and want a solution, then please drop your immature hypotheses and vote Obama in November.

June 11, 2008 05:31 pm at 5:31 pm |
  15. Unshrub

By election time when everyone has a chance to understand the difference between McCain and Obama Clinton supporters will flock to Obama. So will many others.

June 11, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  16. Nikole

JOHN--The fake Michelle Obama comments don't exist, and I am sure there is a team investigating rumors and the like and making sure her words don't get misconstrued like they did when she said she was proud of her country.

June 11, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  17. Sabrina

Thats a very small persent of 18 million voters. Real Clear Politic has him down from 47 to 46.9 and McCain is holding , so have other people already left him. If you want real polls go to Real Clear Politics.
    McClinton voter not for Ocarter.

June 11, 2008 05:32 pm at 5:32 pm |
  18. J Allen

Kevin i hope that Obama doesn't think he's entitled.....because this is a daily tracking poll that when examined seems off base...Naturally some of the Clinton backers will vote Obama, but there are large numbers of anti-Obama voters that will be very difficult to poll.

June 11, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  19. Dems

Doesn't matter. Obama is a fraud. Cotton candy candidate.

McCain wins 40 states.

Obama = Jimmy Carter

June 11, 2008 05:33 pm at 5:33 pm |
  20. Bayousara

Barack, just don't get complacent and think it is a wrap.

I want to see a dedicated push to include as many women in high-level positions in your administration as possible, preferably to the ratio of men to women (women equal 53% of the national population).

I would fall over in a faint if you select a female for vice president.

We will wait and see.

June 11, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  21. saba

Hillary speech helped! Her supporters respect her and answere
    what she asked them to do. Great job! well come home!

June 11, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  22. BIFF, BIFFINGTON...

EXPOSE THEM FOR WHO THEY ARE!!!!!!!!!

I, too am very happy that Hillary supporters are coming on board. But please, let us be ever vigilant. The right has ALREADY begun a campaign of half-truths, dizzying spin, flagrant distortion, and outright lies in regards to Obama's positions and his record.

THEY WILL NOT QUIT. NEITHER MUST WE....

Do you know.. the right actually commissioned a STUDY to see just how far they could push race in this contest? (WHO DOES THIS?)

Do you know.. the right has stated that their "stragegy" is to raise Obama's NEGATIVES because his were too low, and they can't LOWER THEIR OWN....

WHEN YOU CAN'T RUN ON YOUR RECORD..... TEAR THE OTHER GUY DOWN......

WE HAVE TRIED IT THEIR WAY...

FOR SIX MISERABLE YEARS.....
    they had the house......
    they had the senate... (with a filibuster-proof majority even)
    they had the whitehouse... FULLY utilizing a rubber-stamp congress
    (heck.... they even got the courts...)

AND OUR COUNTRY IS IN THE CRAPPER.... AND THEY CAN'T BLAME IT ON BILL CLINTON.....

June 11, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  23. Casey in Ca.

I think women in this country are smarter than many think – they recognize that these 2 candidates are 180 degrees apart and they know which side of that is more beneficial for them.

I have lots of hope that we democrats will come together and do what is right for this country and that women will lead the way.

Yes, we can.

And wouldn't Hillary make a great Justice of the Supreme Court? I think she would.

June 11, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  24. Minnesota against Johnny McSame

**************************************************************************

Abused his wife, cheated on his wife and says he will overturn Roe v Wade....why would women not vote for him?

June 11, 2008 05:34 pm at 5:34 pm |
  25. hollywoodtc

Mary.. you will not vote for Obama because "he lies" as you put it?? Are you serious? Did you miss the entire campaign? Umm....SNIPER FIRE anyone? I believe it is the candidate who you supported who lied – several times. You sound like a Republican – distort the truth, hoping it becomes reality. You need to snap out of it. Perhaps then you'll be able to cast an educated vote. That is of course unless, as I suspect, you have NO INTENTION of EVER voting for a black candidate. When people like you come up with an obvious lie as to why you won't vote for Obama, it is clear where your mind is when it comes to people of color. Shame. So much energy wasted on hatred. And the ironic thing is, that sort of energy eats away at a person and does you no good whatsoever.

June 11, 2008 05:35 pm at 5:35 pm |