June 11th, 2008

Poll shows Obama picking up Clinton voters

A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.
A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.

(CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Barack Obama is picking up support among older female voters, a demographic that largely voted for Hillary Clinton in the prolonged Democratic primary race.

The findings could be a sign the Illinois senator is making significant strides among that bloc of voters, who had been fiercely loyal to Clinton and potentially ambivalent about supporting Obama in the general election.

WATCH Analysis of why Clinton supporters are moving toward Obama

According the new survey out by Gallup, Obama now holds a 6 point lead over McCain among women over 50 nationwide, 47 to 41 percent. That compares to a 3 point lead (46 to 43 percent) McCain held over Obama in a similar poll taken last week just days before Hillary Clinton conceded the nomination.

WATCH Clinton urge her supporters to back Obama

Extended to all female voters, Obama now holds a 13 point lead over McCain, up 8 points from this time last week.

Eight days after the Democratic nomination officially came to an end, Alan Silverleib, CNN Senior Political Researcher, said the poll provides "solid evidence that the wounds of the Democrats’ long primary season are already starting to heal."

“Obama will need most of Clinton’s women supporters to beat McCain in November," Silverleib said. "Fortunately for Obama, many of these supporters are apparently rallying to his side.”

1. jw

Give us Hillarys time, well come around, the alternative is not a choice, but a death sentence for the US.

June 11, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  2. today

I dont think so.

June 11, 2008 05:42 pm at 5:42 pm |
  3. mike collins

hillary was our best candidate to become president, however hillary bashers would rather put our country in the hands of a rookie politician with suspicious activities at best in his short history .clinton bashers are ruining what chance we had to have a very formiddable candidate run our country .. you clinton bashers are crazy !!!!

June 11, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  4. cevans, tx

Great!!!

TOGETHER YES WE CAN!!!

Hats off to the true DEMOSTRATS!!!

GOD BLESS YOU!!! (you who believe and you who don't, for sure)

June 11, 2008 05:43 pm at 5:43 pm |
  5. Carol, San Luis Obispo, CA

No wonder McCain left the country to visit those far away lands of Mexico and Canada. Must have been difficult to see the gap creeping in the polls. When he returns the gap will be even greater.

Now he knows how Hillary "this will be over by February 5th!" Clinton felt when she began slipping in the polls.

In literature it's called "foreshadowing".

June 11, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  6. Fight the liberal media!

Obama and his "crew" have obviously done some African voodoo magic on us all. Lets not let this thug get away with it!

Write in Clinton in November! Its the only way for us to be heard jus like Hillary said!

NEVER HUSSEIN OBAMA!

June 11, 2008 05:44 pm at 5:44 pm |
  7. lil

Thank you Sen. Clinton supporter for being true democrates and
    supporting the democratic party. thank you for caring about the rest of
    us we need you.

June 11, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  8. Mary - Independent

Everybody has a right to their opinion and the right to vote, not matter whether it is Obama or MccCain. No one should be criticized for who they choose as a Presidential Candidate. If Hillary Clintons' followers decide to support Obama, they should not be criticized. Chances are Hillary Clinton's followers are interested in seeing that the Democratic Party come together.

June 11, 2008 05:45 pm at 5:45 pm |
  9. Time to Unite !!! - Simply_kris, Nebraksa

This election is about us – country, our future – everything.Please dont make personal grudge beat you to making a wise decision.
    I cannot vote, but i want common good – for all the people in the world.I have never gotten so much involved in any election before.I must say, US has brought out the best political involvement in me !
    Obama looks very promising !He is educated, wise and level headed.I have never seen such a humble politician before.He ran his campaign in a very systematic way and thanks to that he has money to spare for the GE.Can you imagine were US would be if he got elected and brought the same discipline into the Oval?
    I do sympathize with Hillary supporters.Shes come a long way and whats shes done will inspire millions of women everywhere.Very proud of her accomplishments indeed.Unfortunately, in every contest there is only one winner.The idea is to continue to support her and her ideas.Everyone knows BO and HC had similar views on challenges that face this country.You know it.Deep down you do.
    So make a decision in line with what you have been supporting through your candidate.This election is bigger than all that makes you wanna go McBush.
    I dont want my friends in harms way.I know you love you kids and wouldnt want any harm come to them.So think before you vote.

Am i bitter ? Hell YES !

I am bitter that the gas is > $4/gallon
    I am bitter that the unemployment rates are up
    I am bitter that my friends are made to go to places like Iraq
    I am bitter that the government of this country doesnt give a shi$t about us.

Obama 08-16 !

June 11, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  10. mike collins

all i got to say is let it rain mccain,,,

June 11, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  11. amit rahaydha

duhhhh? dem usually go for dems. obama is the man.........the right man!!!

June 11, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  12. CB

There are 80,000 contractors in Iraq right now – paid for by tax payers and hired by the Whitehouse.

And we wonder where all the money is going. These guys get tons of money, while our troops have to contend with poor pay and poor benefits when they return.

Vote McCain = vote for the rich to keep getting richer.

June 11, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  13. malabar

Hillary 2 good 4 V.P. slot, McCain in '08 and Hillary in 2012.... and NO, I am not a 'true democrat', i did not vote in "04 for either party because there was no good choice between the two.

June 11, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  14. R.I.F.

So there are about 25 people on this blog saying they will not vote for Obama. 75% are republicans stirring the pot, which leaves a handful who may actually be legit. No candidate's ever going to win 100% of another candidates followers so you guys can yell and scream all you want about if not hillary then mccain but we'll take our chances with the millions and millions of Clinton backers who aren't childish and know that Obama's polices are almost identical to Hillary's.

Obama 08

June 11, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  15. mj

It's time to move forward. There have been some very nasty comments from both Clinton and Obama supporters but I believe that alot of them are from people just trying to cause trouble or very limited in their communications skills. I think most of us agree that we had two great candidates running against each other which caused some very strong emotional commitments to our candidates but Obama is the candidate and it's time to rally behind him. Let's not let pettiness or people just trying to cause trouble (most likely republicans) make a mockery of the democratic party. United we stand

June 11, 2008 05:46 pm at 5:46 pm |
  16. Polls Paid for by Obama

This poll is bogus!! Obama has been known for paying for polls that favor him. This is just another blatant attempt in hoodwinking the female vote. His distain and disregard for Hillary was a slap in the face for all women. Obama, along with Dean, Pelosi, Reid, Brazille, and the DNC all sat by and watched Hillary face the onslaught of sexism by Obama himself, his campaign, his supporters and the media. It wasn't just an attack on Hillary, but on all women. And, Hillary supporters had to constantly hear how insignificant we were and that Obama didn't need us. Well, America needs us. McCain needs us. So, we will support McCain because a vote for McCain is a vote against Obama, Reid, Pelosi, Brazille, the DNC, and all the illegal and undemocratic party like actions and behavior that has taken place over the course of the campaign. Obama and his camp suppressed our votes in MI and FL and said he was willing to count them if he was the nominee. He never wanted us to have our say in a nominee unless that nominee was him. This is not a person we want as president. Voting for McCain will change the Democratic Party for the better because the DNC will wake up and realize that we will not be quite. Silence is not spoken here!!!

June 11, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  17. cevans, tx

oops!!! I did the John McCain...Had a senior moment....

HATS OFF TO THE DEMOCRATS!! NOT STRATS!!!

HAIL TO PRESIDENT OBAMA!!!

June 11, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  18. Markus from Austria, Europe

I think it is time for a change...not only in terms of national politics, military or the US healthcare system. It is time for a global change:

We all are human beings living on the same tiny planet and finally have to deliberate about our future – the future of mankind! As a global society, we have to overcome war, nationalism, capitalism, climate change, etc...

The US can lead the world into a better future! I am sure that Barack Obama will be the required and appropriate leader.

I will take November 5th off in order to follow the election live on CNN.

Good Night and God Bless America.

June 11, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  19. lars

Looks like some of these chicks are
    taking their Midol and using their Canesten!
    Oh wait, at that age yo don't need it anymore.

June 11, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  20. Onari

Dear Danny Democrat from AZ,
    Your comment read volumes and shows exactly what you are trying to call others. You are pathetic.

June 11, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  21. Mike

The only remote way I could vote for Obama is if Hillary was on the ticket. However the most logical choice for me is McCain and then Hillary in 012.

June 11, 2008 05:47 pm at 5:47 pm |
  22. Alison, FL

-–Mary June 11th, 2008 4:45 pm ET

And yesterday, a news report stated that three million Clinton supporters had vowed not to vote for Obama. I am over 50 and so are my friendds and none of us will vote for him. He is a loser to us. He lies.-–

BEWARE OF THE REPUBLICANS POSING AS HILLARY SUPPORTERS SAYING THEY WILL NEVER VOTE FOR HIM...MARY, WHERE IS THIS NEWS REPORT YOU ARE REFERRING TO???? GIVE US A BREAK PLEASE!

June 11, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  23. Barbara

I'm over sixty and Obama has my vote.

I don't want my eightteen year old son–who just got his Selective Service notification in the mail–to fight in one of McCain's endless and unnecessary wars.

Let's figure out who is behind this puch to war with iran, and expose and stop them before it is too late.

Who wants the war with iran?

June 11, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |
  24. Chico in AZ

The MAIN reason I am voting Obama is because my Senator decided to stop running and endorse him. This demonstrates alot about Clinton's character and style. I mean, this gesture speaks volume. I am frustrated that the media did not cover her story like that.
    It's done now and the main thing is for us Democrats to stand together and united. We are a family and that image needs to maintain regardless of an election year.
    Senator Obama is a good guy. I just wanted to see a female be the first to break the mold of old Anglo males consistently leading this country.
    To be honest I was going to vote McCain. But when I was watching and listeneing to Hillary's speech I thought.......that idea was plain wrong. Who am I to dictate what history is going to play out. There will be a change, but it's gonna be Obama. That's just fine with me. I am not the holder of the keys to history.
    I AM a DEMOCRAT though. And I Latino living in the best state in the country, Arizona. And I will vote Obama.

June 11, 2008 05:48 pm at 5:48 pm |