June 11th, 2008

Poll shows Obama picking up Clinton voters

A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.
A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.

(CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Barack Obama is picking up support among older female voters, a demographic that largely voted for Hillary Clinton in the prolonged Democratic primary race.

The findings could be a sign the Illinois senator is making significant strides among that bloc of voters, who had been fiercely loyal to Clinton and potentially ambivalent about supporting Obama in the general election.

WATCH Analysis of why Clinton supporters are moving toward Obama

According the new survey out by Gallup, Obama now holds a 6 point lead over McCain among women over 50 nationwide, 47 to 41 percent. That compares to a 3 point lead (46 to 43 percent) McCain held over Obama in a similar poll taken last week just days before Hillary Clinton conceded the nomination.

WATCH Clinton urge her supporters to back Obama

Extended to all female voters, Obama now holds a 13 point lead over McCain, up 8 points from this time last week.

Eight days after the Democratic nomination officially came to an end, Alan Silverleib, CNN Senior Political Researcher, said the poll provides "solid evidence that the wounds of the Democrats’ long primary season are already starting to heal."

“Obama will need most of Clinton’s women supporters to beat McCain in November," Silverleib said. "Fortunately for Obama, many of these supporters are apparently rallying to his side.”

1. Democrat AGAINST Obama

This democrat, and thousands like me, will NEVER vote Obama. This is just another case of the media darling being crowned the winner before the race even starts.

Im sure CNN will call Obama the winner of the general election within the next few weeks. Hell why should voters even turn out. We should give CNN, FOX, ABC, NBC our delegates and let them decide who our next Preesident shold be...Oh wait....WE ALREADY HAVE!!!

Down with Obama....hes a racist, empty suit and Michelle is an American disgrace. I am especially sick of the JFK references. Michelle is no Jackie and he is no John...and Obama presidency would not be Camelot, Compton maybe but not Camelot!

June 11, 2008 06:07 pm at 6:07 pm |
  2. Former Republican

To:
    (HILLARY WAS FORCED OUT BY SEXISM!!!)
    Hillarey was not forced out by sexism she lost fare square. Stop making excuses.
    And crying over spilled milk. If anything she did not play by the rules. Truing to count Fl and MI with she agreed that they would not count. I call that cheating

June 11, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  3. kelly WI

Obama is such a fraud. Learn more every day about him.
    Glad some of you are anxiously awaiting your taxes raised and jobs lost.
    Some people are soooo short sighted.
    The only poll I will pay attention to is the one done in SECRET on NOv. 4.
    McCain 08

June 11, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  4. Hillary Supporter!!!

What a lie! There goes the media again. We may not vote for JM, but one thing is for sure we don't believe in BHO, his charm and his rhetoric! Voting for BHO would also be voting for Ophra, Wright, Pfleger, Michelle, Matthews, Dowd, Williams, Cohen, Dean, etc. etc. etc. If I was a supporter I would have told these people to keep their mouths shut. Next time they will learn to do so. My vote is my vote and it's not moving to BHO!!! It has nothing to do with being "rabid" as one said here, but more that we never have and never will believe in him. Those type of comments make me even more sure that I will not vote for him. Keep it up! You've done a good job. I told my self from day one I would never vote for him. I didn't just make that decision. If it were anyone else but BHO I would cast my vote, but it's not.
    When he loses blame those that were fooled by his charm.

June 11, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  5. Life long democrat

I am a life long democrat and I will NOT be voting for Obama. There is something fishy about him that has not come out. It will and heaven help us when it does. I am telling you this man is as slick as a snake!

June 11, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  6. Joe

wow, 3 whole points

June 11, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  7. Shay

Thank You Hillary supporters. I knew that you would come around. It will not be right to vote for McCain and she supports Obama. Regardless of whom he will pick for VP. Surely Hillary is a champion in her own right. Well done Hillary you put up a good fight and both candidates had everyone watching. Hold your head up high and keep encouraging everyone to do the same. Be not ashame.

To all other Hillary supporters,put yourself in her shoes, could you have done what she did? I know for myself I would have been drop dead tired but she kept on plugging in.

She bowed out gracefully and backing Barack Obama 100%. She is going full speed ahead. What happen in the past is over and time to move on and not wallow in the gutter. Get up and stand up straight and be counted. Both of them went at it very hard. It was a race for the White House and surely there was one who will win and one who will lose. Both candidates are very concerned about our future and the future of the next generation.

Again Thank You

June 11, 2008 06:08 pm at 6:08 pm |
  8. jack

I don't believe come november Hillary supporters will vote for Mccain. The media continues to stress this fallacy based on a subjective poll during the primary. The media should start surveying the number of republicans that will vote for Obama in november...myself incuded.
    Randy, you are not a true Democrat if you are voting for Mccain because Hillary lost. Vote Obama in november for the sake of our economy and our country.

June 11, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  9. jason

don't tell me the hillary supporters are using reason, to cast their votes, instead of blind emotional spite. I thought they were supposed to be uneducated.

June 11, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  10. Brian Knoxville, TN

Bush ran a tyrannical and unaccountable regime for two terms as president of the United States.

Obama Is to run a tyrannical and unaccountable regime within the Democratic Party.

AND BOTH WERE SELECTED, NOT ELECTED!

PUMA PAC

June 11, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  11. Former Republican

little m
    let me make it simple for you. Obama = change McCain = some old crap.

June 11, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  12. Cathy DFW Texas

Well, I'm 60 and I'm a woman, so guess that makes me an "older female" voter.
    Nope, BHO, I won't be switching my support over to you. I won't vote for McCain either. Right now, I'll probably just stay home on election day– for the first time ever since I was able to vote. Why? I just don't trust you. There is just something, some kind of vibe I get when watching or listening to you, that just makes me really really really suspicious of you. Well, and then there's the fact that your supporters at the TX primary caucuses were bullies who treated some of us like we were total idiots. I've been involved in election campaigns since I was in high school, and I've never seen such coercion and arrogance in my life.
    So, no BHO, you won't get my vote. (You do know Texas is probably going to go "red" don't you. I think Clinton could have carried this state, but not you. That's a LOT of electoral votes to lose, too.)

June 11, 2008 06:09 pm at 6:09 pm |
  13. AoA - Seattle

Have you noticed that those who say they will never vote for Obama have one very basic common thread....they are not good at math.

Hey listen, there is this small thing called statistics where to get a general feel of the population, you need just poll a representative sample. Now I know there are some of you McCainites who insist they were never polled so the data cannot be true...now see what you missed for dropping out of school? Don't you think your kids deserve better :}?

Put in the office a guy with a vision, not a guy with a skin color that closely matches yours. If you were ready to vote Hillary, then Obama is the next best thing compared to Hillary. Don't cut off your right foot to spite your left foot. You are the one who will be in clutches if you do that :}

June 11, 2008 06:10 pm at 6:10 pm |
  14. Michael in MO

This is nothing but propaganda. He may get a handful, but the truth of it is millions and millions of Senator Clinton supporters and voters are organizing against Obama, and will be either voting McCain or writing in her name. See you in Nov. and don't believe this ridiculous propaganda!!!!!!

June 11, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  15. slokipoki

Where does CNN get these polls? Not from me. I have backed Hillary for three years on Yahoo I would post "Buy one get one free Hillary & Bill in the Whitehouse in 08". I will never vote for Obama. This was just like 2000 all over again the people don't get who they vote for. I will not vote or I will vote for McCain. Never Obama, not an Arab.

June 11, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  16. Karen in Fla

It isn't what McCain stands for that has us flocking away from Obama – it is OBAMA himself.

It isn't being a 2 year old,

it isn't having a temper tantrum,

it isn't being a Republican in disguise,

it isn't being a RACIST because we don't believe in the candidate or the DNC and

it is all about HIM and HIS WIFE.

It is a VOTE OF NO CONFIDENCE in OBAMA

June 11, 2008 06:11 pm at 6:11 pm |
  17. NC for Obama

To any Hillary supporter that will vote for Obama I just want to say thank you. Democrats need to unite against McCain. This country cannot survive 4 more years of Bush policy and 4 more years of pointless war. Obama supporters be gracious towards our fellow democrats we are all in this together.

June 11, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  18. Alfredo

REALLY...ANOTHER MEDIA TACTICS BY TELLING THE WRONG POLLS!!!!

June 11, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  19. Former Republican

Upset Hillary supports please if you can “STAY ON TASK”
    Let the bitterness go, it only clouds your mind.

June 11, 2008 06:12 pm at 6:12 pm |
  20. Marie

Hillary supporters go to JustSayNoDeal – No to Obama
    This site will allow you to sign a petition to either not vote or vote McCain.
    You can also search your state to see if you can write in Hillary if you wish.

June 11, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  21. Kristen

I was a hillary supporter, but I am going to vote based on my values, and Obama represents those values, Obama 08

June 11, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  22. People wake up...

The Republicans that are posting things thanking the "democrats" that say that they will vote for McSame come November because they are mad about hillary not getting the nom....They are SHOWING you guys what McSame is for...He's against women's right to choose, he wants us to fight Iran as well as Iraq, and endless war to push our values on others...READ what they are saying. Think about what you would be doing to our country by voting for McSame. Either vote democrat or stay the hell home. Geesh. This country is going to suffer if you guys don't wake up.

If you are really a democrat do NOT vote for a Republican. You are just punishing yourself and your country ...and for what? Voting ? Omg.

June 11, 2008 06:13 pm at 6:13 pm |
  23. Christine D

This is just the media trying to spin it in favor for Obama again. Six women in my family will be voting for Nader.

June 11, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  24. Bill

I am one Clinton voter who will not vote for Senator Obama. Senator Obama has no experience and I do not trust him.

June 11, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  25. Paul from AZ

To those of you claiming these polls cannot possibly be correct: just because the Hillary supporters who are vowing not to support Obama are the loudest doesn't mean they are the majority.

June 11, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |