June 11th, 2008

Poll shows Obama picking up Clinton voters

A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.
A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.

(CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Barack Obama is picking up support among older female voters, a demographic that largely voted for Hillary Clinton in the prolonged Democratic primary race.

The findings could be a sign the Illinois senator is making significant strides among that bloc of voters, who had been fiercely loyal to Clinton and potentially ambivalent about supporting Obama in the general election.

WATCH Analysis of why Clinton supporters are moving toward Obama

According the new survey out by Gallup, Obama now holds a 6 point lead over McCain among women over 50 nationwide, 47 to 41 percent. That compares to a 3 point lead (46 to 43 percent) McCain held over Obama in a similar poll taken last week just days before Hillary Clinton conceded the nomination.

WATCH Clinton urge her supporters to back Obama

Extended to all female voters, Obama now holds a 13 point lead over McCain, up 8 points from this time last week.

Eight days after the Democratic nomination officially came to an end, Alan Silverleib, CNN Senior Political Researcher, said the poll provides "solid evidence that the wounds of the Democrats’ long primary season are already starting to heal."

“Obama will need most of Clinton’s women supporters to beat McCain in November," Silverleib said. "Fortunately for Obama, many of these supporters are apparently rallying to his side.”

1. ceci

I don't think so. Loyal Hillary supporters have not forgotten the treatment by BO supporters nor they will in November. I will vote McCain NEVER BO! Hillary can endorse him all she wants but I cannot bring myself to vote for a racist bigot like BO! And he didn't win this election fair and square – he got it by committing fraud. As a precinct capt for the Clinton campaign – I can tell you there is not too many us "loyal supporters" who will vote for BO. And I will not vote for him even if Hillary is VP – she would do all the work and he would get all the glory and if anything were to go wrong (which it will) she would get blamed for it because baby BO couldn't handle it and would give a press conference throwing his grandma, his pastor and now Hillary under the bus. And I can't stand ugly Michelle – he/she is not First Lady material.

June 11, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  2. Linda

The more name calling I read by the Obama supporters the more concerned I become. Folks, Obama is not God he is a man and he has baggage. Read the Time article that ran on the internet today. He is being funded by a major TV person. These funds have changed hands to the little people during the past year. The point is, he is a politican or he would not be where he is today. The democrats need to be prepared for the all the disclosures yet to come. If we continue to be blind and name call we will lose.

June 11, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  3. Alba

He is not getting my vote. I am a Hillary supporter and will always stand by her. However, supporting Obama will not be one of her advizes I am willing to follow. His campaign played the race card shamefully. The media was extremely biased and unfair to her. So McCain will get my vote because at least he is an honest man. Obama is not.

June 11, 2008 06:14 pm at 6:14 pm |
  4. Elliott

Well this is one Clinton Supporter who hasn't been won over and doesn't expect to be. The man is far to inexperienced to be put in charge of running this country. If all things were good...as they were in the 90's I wouldn't have a problem with him learning on the job...but that is not the case and the American people best wake up to that fact.

June 11, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  5. KJ in Cedar Rapids

I don't get why some Hillary supporters refuse to support Obama. I would agree that there was some sexism during the primary season, but I did not see any of that from the Obama campaign and absolutely none from Obama himself. What I did see came from the media – you can't hold that against Obama. At the same time, I think it's fair to say that any male candidate with the exact same experience, credentials, and support as Hillary would have been forced to end their campaign much earlier than Hillary did. So to some degree I think her gender helped keep her in the race.

What's worse is the Hillary supporters who claim to now support McCain. If she were the nominee against McCain, THEN you'd see the sexism out in full force. And if McCain wins, you'll also see your right of choice taken away, along with your pensions, jobs, educational options, and probably your sons and daughters who are serving in the miltary.

If you cannot vote for your own interests, at least don't vote against them (or your fellow Democrats).

June 11, 2008 06:15 pm at 6:15 pm |
  6. V Independent

I certainly won't be voting for Senator Obama so please media stop the hype as many of us who voted for Hillary will NOT VOTE FOR SENATOR OBAMA ) or MC CAIN.

June 11, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  7. Margaret

He would not get my vote . Too many boneheaded mistakes and I dont understand the change he talks about. He is wrapped around by Chicago and Washington Politics.Which one would anyone choose?

June 11, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  8. diane canada

It makes a great deal of sense for Hillary supporters to switch to Obama. I don't believe for a second that there will be too many like the bitter types that populate these blogs saying they'll never vote for Obama and would give their vote to McCain. I've been around internet blogs and forums long enough to know that the people writing in them are mostly the same all the time and of a limited number. We're not worried about the few dozen or even the few hundred writing in these blogs. Most Americans are sensible and are not likely to hijack their children's futures just because their favorite person lost.

June 11, 2008 06:16 pm at 6:16 pm |
  9. We can and We will

We have tried the Republican way of economic policy for 8 years. It failed and it continues to the path of depression. We have to stop McCain.

By the way, someone is racking up record profit on Oil. They know the good time will end if Barack is elected president.

June 11, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  10. TL

fight the liberal media-

how in the world is someone a thug who was editor of the Harvard Law Review and taught constitutional law? Who lives in one of the most integrated neighborhoods in Chicago?

what happened to "if you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen?" Got news for all of you bitter people–a lot of people voted for Obama TOO.

I would like JUST ONE person who claims they are voting for McCain (or not voting at all) instead of Obama (Clinton backers) to give me a coherent, policy-oriented answer as to why they would choose getting about 0-5% of their chosen candidates's agenda accomplished, as opposed to 90-95% (with minor differences in health care, which given a choice between HRC's plan and none at all, I think Barack would be happy to approve if you paid attention to the man).

I have yet to see one.

This means no answers like "he's a loser, an empty suit, he has no experience, he lies, etc etc" that we have already seen. WHY did you vote for Hillary (if it was just because she was a woman, that's really no better than someone voting for Barack b/c he's Black, which MORE people seem to have a problem with for some odd reason).

If it was because she's white, or she's better known, at least be HONEST. By the way, as a Black man, I say....It's OK to be a closet racist, just be true to feelings instead of making up excuses lol.

If it's based on policy position (you know, the stuff that actually affects our daily quality of life...duh), then WHY is it such a big deal? I really need to know.

June 11, 2008 06:18 pm at 6:18 pm |
  11. Lana, California

From the bottom of my heart, thank you to my fellow sisters in joining us to stop McBush from having George Bush's 3rd term. You have my gratitude and appreciation.

Women for Obama!

June 11, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  12. Anne E.

A wise choice, Hillary supporters! Had the tables been turned, you'd have all told us Obama supporters to grow up, suck it up, and get on board.
    Those of you still firmly entrenched in the idea of voting for the guy who's getting older and having more senior moments every day......ask yourselves if that's what you REALLY want for your daughters, granddaughters, nieces, etc. as well as sons, grandsons, nephews. Do you want more of the same ilk on the Supreme Court as the five who gave the Lame (nee Daffy) Duck his job in the first place??? Do you want people like that dictating/deciding your daughters' rights, not to mention other important issues?
    Please THINK before you go off half-cocked like the current occupant of the White House!

June 11, 2008 06:19 pm at 6:19 pm |
  13. Jerry Brown

Not all of us are going over until we know Hillary is going to be his VP.

June 11, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  14. whitemarlin

look at it this way: With Obama we live
    With Mc old we will die
    Democrats unite save yourself from the ruins
    and to those of you who claim you are a democrat but won't vote for Obama then stay home and have mommy change your infancile diapers

June 11, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  15. Liz

No way will this registered Democrat support Obama instead of Hillaary Clinton...Too many unanswered questions about him..

June 11, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  16. bet

The pollsters haven't spoken to any of the Hillary supporters that I know!!! The media has been reporting the slanted story in favor of Obama since the beginning of this. You helped him win the primary over Hillary, the general election is another story. Nice try,,,,,

June 11, 2008 06:20 pm at 6:20 pm |
  17. bobby

I believe in Hillary. Hillary believes in Obama. I will follow her lead.

June 11, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  18. notboth

Give me a break!! If I hear once more that the democratic party conspired against Clinton, I'll puke. The democratic party was lined up *for* her (she had a 100+ superdelegate lead over Obama at the start of the race). It was simply her campaign's strategic and tactical blunders that cost her, not the DNC.

So, let's talk about her great experience? Eight years as first lady? C'mon folks! What about Bush's experience made him a great president? Nothing....

It's about who a president surrounds her or himself with and so far Obama has done a very good job. Going from being an unknown to the Democratic Presidential candidate is quite a feat, especially as an African-American.

June 11, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  19. Joe

Why are you democrats fighting for? At least you have one of the two best candidates on the ticket in november. We republicans have one of the worst, John McCain. I will vote democratic.

June 11, 2008 06:21 pm at 6:21 pm |
  20. Penn State

To my understanding this is wonderful news and those who are still upset and bitter you can not says you are true democrat, myself voted HILLARY but we must come to term about the real issue here a vote for MCBUSH is a big slap in the face of HILLARY after all she was competing to beat MCBUSH in NOV, but never ment to be so unite and for OBAMA and if you still bitter about HILLARY lost, so are mine but we need to rise above that and vote for OBAMA.

June 11, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  21. Former Clinton Supporter

This is good news, but not a surprise. In the end, the democratic party will unite not so much for Obama but for the good of our country. We must have a change of direction. We can not afford to keep going as we have because the problems are too great to ignore. We must address the mortgage crisis, rising energy costs, the war in Iraq, healthcare, and global warming. We can not afford to wait 4 more years to begin working on a solution.

June 11, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  22. Nancy

Another wishful thought....Obama does not have our votes...if we had wanted him we would have voted for him to begin with. His lack of experience, poor judgement in social events, mentors, and churches, is someone I can not trust with my future. We can all paint a pretty picture with words and promise anything to anyone. Say what you are going to do and do what you say is not one of Obama's qualities. I am a Clinton supporter and even if Hillary was in the V.P. seat on this flight to the White House I won't fly. In fact the D.N.C. has once again snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. I have jumped over the fence and choose to vote for the lessor of the two evils McCain.

June 11, 2008 06:22 pm at 6:22 pm |
  23. RONNIE

NOT this one Obama! Still voting for Hillary.

June 11, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  24. Clinton/McCain

lol. He certainly doesn't have my support, my father's, mother's, brother's, his wife, my parent's friends and their three children.

June 11, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  25. Women Rule

Common sense and women are synonymous.........

We may not like the hand we are dealt sometimes, but common sense 9 times out of ten dictates our actions.

Obama 08