June 11th, 2008

Poll shows Obama picking up Clinton voters

A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.
A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.

(CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Barack Obama is picking up support among older female voters, a demographic that largely voted for Hillary Clinton in the prolonged Democratic primary race.

The findings could be a sign the Illinois senator is making significant strides among that bloc of voters, who had been fiercely loyal to Clinton and potentially ambivalent about supporting Obama in the general election.

WATCH Analysis of why Clinton supporters are moving toward Obama

According the new survey out by Gallup, Obama now holds a 6 point lead over McCain among women over 50 nationwide, 47 to 41 percent. That compares to a 3 point lead (46 to 43 percent) McCain held over Obama in a similar poll taken last week just days before Hillary Clinton conceded the nomination.

WATCH Clinton urge her supporters to back Obama

Extended to all female voters, Obama now holds a 13 point lead over McCain, up 8 points from this time last week.

Eight days after the Democratic nomination officially came to an end, Alan Silverleib, CNN Senior Political Researcher, said the poll provides "solid evidence that the wounds of the Democrats’ long primary season are already starting to heal."

“Obama will need most of Clinton’s women supporters to beat McCain in November," Silverleib said. "Fortunately for Obama, many of these supporters are apparently rallying to his side.”

1. NickNas

WOMEN are NOT STUPID!!!!

June 11, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  2. Hillary Supporter

No Hillary for VP, no Obama for president.

June 11, 2008 06:23 pm at 6:23 pm |
  3. jason

"Haha! you were fooled by republicans into voting for them, and now you're too poor to breathe!"

I've been looking forward to the day when stupidity becomes painful. It almost sounds worth being subjected to the results of other peoples' bad decisions, just to laugh at the situation they got themselves in. Such terrorists (i.e. people who are responsible for america's pain) do not deserve a better world anyway...

June 11, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  4. Rosa

This makes sense unless the Clinton supporters were just voting for a woman as opposed to the issues.
    This country cannot survive 4 more years of republican domination.
    I welcome the Clinton supporters to the Obama group.

June 11, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  5. Meg

This is the first election of my lifetime that I have even considered voting republican. I don't understand the attraction to Obama, he does nothing for me. I guess America's hiring policy..... the wrong person for the job., is here to stay. Sad.

June 11, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  6. Ian

Like Obama needs those losers.

June 11, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  7. Ric

Clinton Democrats for Mc Cain '08

June 11, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  8. Frank, San Francisco

NO CLINTON ON THE TICKET – NO OBAMA FOR PRESIDENT
    Obama has NO substance. Go back and watch the debates- it is obvious who has a better grasp of the issues. Obama was sold to the people by the biased Media who have always hated the Clinton's, but somehow have given Bush and now Obama a free ride.
    I will pick prose(the ability to govern) over poetry(the ability to give a good speech-off a teleprompter) any day.
    NO CLINTON NO OBAMA

And to all of you Sebelius supporters- What is your rationale. Any woman will do. Give me a break. That would be the ultimate slap in the face to Clinton and her 18,000.000 supporters.

June 11, 2008 06:24 pm at 6:24 pm |
  9. Phil

To all Clinton supporters supporting McCain I have one question. WHY?
    He is the total opposite of all the issues that have been a central part of Hillary's campaign. Reproductive rights, the economy, the war, healthcare, etc.
    How can anyone who has paid any attention to this election switch from Hillary to McCain. It's like a little kid who would rather break his toy rather than share it. Totally irrational.

Vote Democratic 2008
    Vote Obama and his choice

June 11, 2008 06:25 pm at 6:25 pm |
  10. A Democrat No More

Unlikely.

June 11, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  11. Desert Fox

I voted for Clinton, now I will vote for Obama. McCain is a nice person but he will not change many of the current policies.

June 11, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  12. Over 50 Woman

All of you Hillary fans should listen to your choice of candidate.

She's asking you to support Obama and the Democratic party.

She is not spewing sour grapes for losing and asking you to vote for McCain or to stay away from the polls. She wants you step into the voting booth and do what's best for our country.

GO!!! BHO 08

June 11, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  13. Lee

More media spin and lies

June 11, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  14. Tammi

I'm a woman and a Hillary supporter. Although her speech was great, I can not, and will not, vote for either Obama or McCain. I will not bend anymore to this patriarchal society that runs women's lives. Where is my equal pay? What about my respect? Who will be my voice?

June 11, 2008 06:26 pm at 6:26 pm |
  15. Meg

Hillary should run independent!!! Obama does not have this vote. Get some more polls!

June 11, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  16. Speider

So, the media is to blame, Obama is a liar and if you don't get your way, you'll vote for McCain out of spite. If so, be ready for no social security, sending, another generation (or two) of sending our children to war, the abolishment of Roe vs. Wade and continued decline in wages and personal rights and ever growing costs for food and fuel, just to name a few immediate problems.

After this all takes place, will you have the guts to proudly announce you voted for McCain because Senator Clinton wasn't the democratic nominee/VP or will you silently sit and realize that your immature views caused more problems our children will inherit? Are you one of those people who spit on troops returning from Vietnam but now have several "support the troops" magnets on your SUV?

What really scares me is that the proper thing may be derailed by illiterates who seem unable to spell the simplest of words or form a basic sentence, as many who posted their drivel here. We are in trouble as a nation when the lowest common denominator of humanity rules our destiny, or at least believes that it does.

June 11, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  17. Monica for Obama in Indiana

I don't believe Hillary had all those women voters People said she had in the first place. Everyone act like women over 50 are stupid.

Go Obama 08
    No Hillary and No Bayh for VP

June 11, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  18. Cindy in Boston

Ofcourse they will join and support Barack. No thinking tank will vote for McBush except his crooks and those living inside a box.

June 11, 2008 06:27 pm at 6:27 pm |
  19. purplemonkeyrocks

If I was a vegetarian and I ate some bad tofu, should I start to eat meat? No.

You should have a basis of morals that ideally represent you. It's more understandable to not vote, but to basically vote opposite of what you were supporting is irresponsible. You should vote for a candidate because you support his or her ideals, but not because of aggression or defiance. How could you support Clinton, then change allegiance to McCain?

Obama won the nomination. He won the most votes, states, and delegates (when you consider caucus states and give Obama at least 3/4 of Michigan's 'undecided'). Clinton ran a competitive campaign, but in the end Clinton's and Obama's policies are very similar and Obama is clearly ideal to McCain.

Obama 08!

June 11, 2008 06:28 pm at 6:28 pm |
  20. teral

not for obama ,he will raise taxes ,where do you think all those billions he want to spent is coming from, our pockets ,he does not want to drill here in usa for oil , but want our billions go to people who hate us, he is a wolf in sheep clothen ,,beware ,do not fall for his trick talk ,the only change he will do is another CARTER TERM ,

June 11, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  21. Women Rule

Al, get it straight Obama didn't cheat the voters in Michigan and Florida. The politicians in these states took a chance and in doing so screwed themselves and their constituency.

You also need to take a look that both these primaries were moved up wih the blessing of the Republican governors who are in office. Any yet still we are still fighting amongst ourselves. Get straight and re-direct all that anger towards the Republicans who help create that mess.

Get it straight and vote your conscience. If you believe what the Republicans are selling; then vote for them, but if you don't ,vote for Obama.

Obama 08......................

June 11, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  22. PRESIDENT HILLARY RODHAM CLINTON

I am horiffied at watching the work of the stupifyingly biased big business media attempt to destroy the very good name and lifetime of public service of HRC.
    This was supported by the Democratic hierarchy and because of the fact that they refused to count our votes and give the rightful winner the nomination I withdrew from the party. The democratic party is over.
    They now share the corruption of the Republicans who stole the election for Bush, they are no different! My vote will be a write in for Hillary Clinton or McCain.
    The rampant corruption, anti Americansm and aggression spurred by Obama and his flock are the worst I've ever seen in a primary. He is the devil in disguise.
    NOBAMA NO WAY!

June 11, 2008 06:29 pm at 6:29 pm |
  23. Nicole

I love Hillary with all my heart and I wanted her to be the next president because I loved her as 1st Lady! But if you think just b/c she didn't win I will vote for McBush like alot of her supporters or fake republicans posing as her supporters say you are CRAZY!!!!!

A vote for McBush means my sons going to war b/c they will need someone to pay for college since I won't be able to afford it!

June 11, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |
  24. Debbie

Let's be clear here – Obama supporters don't like Clinton supporters, and Clinton supporters don't like Obama supporters – we all know the reaons why so let's just get over that now!
    The state of the country is in jeopardy here – we need to unite and take back the WH.
    Let's stop all the back and forth – it doesn't accomplish anything.
    There are bigger issues at stake than who said what about whom – we have a very serious problem with our country and we need to do something about it now!
    Let's get Obama into the WH first and then argue about who get's what post in his administration after that!!!
    If you are a Clinton fan and still threatening to vote for McCain – then shame on you!

June 11, 2008 06:31 pm at 6:31 pm |