June 11th, 2008

Poll shows Obama picking up Clinton voters

A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.
A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.

(CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Barack Obama is picking up support among older female voters, a demographic that largely voted for Hillary Clinton in the prolonged Democratic primary race.

The findings could be a sign the Illinois senator is making significant strides among that bloc of voters, who had been fiercely loyal to Clinton and potentially ambivalent about supporting Obama in the general election.

WATCH Analysis of why Clinton supporters are moving toward Obama

According the new survey out by Gallup, Obama now holds a 6 point lead over McCain among women over 50 nationwide, 47 to 41 percent. That compares to a 3 point lead (46 to 43 percent) McCain held over Obama in a similar poll taken last week just days before Hillary Clinton conceded the nomination.

WATCH Clinton urge her supporters to back Obama

Extended to all female voters, Obama now holds a 13 point lead over McCain, up 8 points from this time last week.

Eight days after the Democratic nomination officially came to an end, Alan Silverleib, CNN Senior Political Researcher, said the poll provides "solid evidence that the wounds of the Democrats’ long primary season are already starting to heal."

“Obama will need most of Clinton’s women supporters to beat McCain in November," Silverleib said. "Fortunately for Obama, many of these supporters are apparently rallying to his side.”

1. Roofin Reality, Houston, Tx.

Well, I think all those soccer moms are starting to wonder why their gas is over $4/gallon.

Or , more specific to women's issues
    Obama has 90% approval for "womens issues" and 100% pro-choice.
    Mccain has 15% approval for "womens issues" and 0% pro-choice.

Then, specific to McCain, Senator McCain
    has vowed to appoint pro-life justices to the Supreme Court.
    voted against reauthorizing the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) for five years.
    voted against the restoration of the Fair Pay Act.
    McCain voted to suspend the Family and Medical Leave Act in 1993.
    He voted to shut down the Title X family-planning program, which provides millions of women with health care services ranging from birth control to breast cancer screenings.

So, surprise, surprise. Not going to do well among this constituency because those Senator Clinton supporters, true supporters, know these are issues that she held very dear to her heart and while disappointed she didn't get the nomination don't want to see further erosion of female rights and opportunities.

Oh yeah, I'm a guy just keeping it real for the bloggers.

June 11, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  2. Pam

I was originally a John Edwards supporter and then a strong Hillary supporter. I will vote for Obama in November...not because I particularly like him (I don't!), but I'm a Democrat and if any Hillary supporters vote for McCain, then they are traitors to the other women in this country who believe in pro-choice. It's stupid to vote for 4 more years of this hell-hole that the republicans have brought upon us. McCain is just more of the same garbage. It would be wrong for the women who believe in Hillary's ideas to vote for the enemy of her ideas, McCain.

June 11, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  3. June

I am a Clinton supporter and will never vote for Obama. Clinton is the only one to bring any hope for this Country.

June 11, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  4. Capt. Smash, Salt Lake City, Utah

My friends it's time to change my depends!

June 11, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  5. OBAMA BACKER

I agree Campbell Brown is the most divisive of all CNN anchors. and Mike I'm with you Hillary has my vote in 2016. But OBAMA 2008 BABY Fist Pound to Everyone from yours truly.

June 11, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  6. Romulus, Michigan

CNN your blog has become a place for people to rant and rave about useless information. Very little now is meaningful. Many of your bloggers are agitators with the purpose saying anything to get a rise out of people. The same goes for Mr. Blitzer pure white noise.

June 11, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  7. FactCheck

Heck if you really don't like Obama, there is Bob Barr, Nader, maybe even Ron Paul. Anyone but McCain.

June 11, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  8. sarah

welcome, hillary supporters! both clinton and obama are such strong candidates, and they have such similar goals. not to mention that if obama is elected, clinton is sure to get a wonderful job where she can continue to do good for all of us.

together, by electing Obama, we can all pursue hillary's dreams of:

* universal healthcare
    * women's rights and equal rights for all
    * a stronger economy
    * better education

GO OBAMA!

June 11, 2008 05:07 pm at 5:07 pm |
  9. Janet WV for Obama/Clinton

We are FAMILY–my brothers and my sisters and me, yes we are FAMILY! Welcome home my beloved sisters and brothers. Together, we can!

June 11, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  10. tman

For Those Hillary supporters.
    You voted for Hillary because you're demacrat,
    but she got beattin by Obama
    and in November you will vote for McCain.
    That is no brainer, you are a racist!
    If you are a true democratic, you will vote for your party no matter who is the nominee.

June 11, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  11. Willow

If all of these women over 50 had heard what McCain called his wife, they would never consider voting for McCain. McCain seems to me to be a misogynistic old man. He is a war monger, an exsoldier and the only thing he knows is war. All of Hillary's supporters should find out what McCain calls women. Then see how fast they can vote for Obama.

June 11, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  12. Kevin

Thanks to Sherri, Sherry, Kiah, Alana, LaShanda, Pat, Abby, Lorreta, KJ and so many others saying positive things...

We can only do this together.

June 11, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  13. Oh come let us adore him

The supreme leader cometh.

The star is shining already in the skies

June 11, 2008 05:08 pm at 5:08 pm |
  14. The Campaign Strategist at 115th St & Amsterdam Ave.

Competency +
    Civility +
    Centrist Policy +
    Clear CONCISE Communication +
    Cohesive Democratic Party =

a Winning Team in November 2008

June 11, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  15. After further review,Texas

It takes a while to come to ones senses and use logic instead of raw emotion.

June 11, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  16. Former Clinton

Go ahead lie to yourselves. I am a bitter about Clinton losing but I am voting for McCain because he is in not delusional when it comes to politics in Washington DC.

June 11, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  17. Pam

Mary June 11th, 2008 4:45 pm ET

And yesterday, a news report stated that three million Clinton supporters had vowed not to vote for Obama. I am over 50 and so are my friendds and none of us will vote for him. He is a loser to us. He lies.
    _______________

You mean like Hillary did about the Bosnian sniper fire? If you vote for McCain, you will have no right to be here in a couple of years complaining about how McCain has screwed up this country.

June 11, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  18. Cathy

As the campaign goes on it will be well defined that McCain has never been a strong supporter of women's rights (against Roe v. Wade and Equal Pay just to name a few issues). I am hoping this will be enough to deter the Clinton supporters to support McCain.

Democrat Unite!!!!

June 11, 2008 05:09 pm at 5:09 pm |
  19. Nt

Some Lady said that Obama will lose 3 million Clinton supporters. Many of those would have probably not voted democratic anway. 15 million is not shaggy. Together with our voters, that is looking good.

June 11, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  20. Danny, Democrat from AZ

Kenneth, honestly, I was expecting more negative, bitter posts such as the one from Karen in FL. I am all for Hillary supporters sticking with Obama. I have never bashed her, or her campaign, and welcome all who are willing to switch their vote to Obama. It just saddens me that great news like these are hindered by comments about how Obama is sexist, does not deserve her supporters, and stole the election from her. People need to get over their prejudice and theories and wake up to the reality of what America really needs – Obama.

June 11, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  21. Berat, Park Ridge, IL

Start it up again...

Drip..........

Drip....................

Drip.................................

(No, that's NOT the sound of leaky Depends)

June 11, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  22. NoMccain

All of you worry me.

June 11, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  23. Sean

Glad to see that the important issues are driving decisions rather than personal frustrations, as understandable as they may be. I know Obama wasn't the first choice for many Democrats, but between Obama or McCain, bringing our troops home or letting them continue to die in Iraq, preserving Roe vs Wade or making abortion illegal, fixing the economy or letting it continue as it has been for the last 7 years, the choice is obvious. Obama is far preferable to McCain. And I'm someone who would've wholeheartedly supported McCain in 2000.

June 11, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  24. Haas

Welcome aboard. Let's unite and take our country back. Those of you who are still willing to vote against your interests, I hope my candidate, Obama, can prove to you that McCain is not in this country's best interest. We have an opportunity here to steer our country in the right direction, to repair our economy and bring this war to a close.

June 11, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |
  25. Sam

Where do you get your statistics? Hillary Clinton' s supporters have called over 680 people who voted for her and out of that number only three said they would even consider voting for Obama. It was either not voting at all or voting for Mcain.

June 11, 2008 05:10 pm at 5:10 pm |