June 11th, 2008

Poll shows Obama picking up Clinton voters

A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.
A new poll shows signs Obama is winning over former Clinton supporters.

(CNN) - A new poll out Wednesday suggests Barack Obama is picking up support among older female voters, a demographic that largely voted for Hillary Clinton in the prolonged Democratic primary race.

The findings could be a sign the Illinois senator is making significant strides among that bloc of voters, who had been fiercely loyal to Clinton and potentially ambivalent about supporting Obama in the general election.

WATCH Analysis of why Clinton supporters are moving toward Obama

According the new survey out by Gallup, Obama now holds a 6 point lead over McCain among women over 50 nationwide, 47 to 41 percent. That compares to a 3 point lead (46 to 43 percent) McCain held over Obama in a similar poll taken last week just days before Hillary Clinton conceded the nomination.

WATCH Clinton urge her supporters to back Obama

Extended to all female voters, Obama now holds a 13 point lead over McCain, up 8 points from this time last week.

Eight days after the Democratic nomination officially came to an end, Alan Silverleib, CNN Senior Political Researcher, said the poll provides "solid evidence that the wounds of the Democrats’ long primary season are already starting to heal."

“Obama will need most of Clinton’s women supporters to beat McCain in November," Silverleib said. "Fortunately for Obama, many of these supporters are apparently rallying to his side.”

1. Steven Dison

Those old women who supported hillary will move on and support Obama. Just takes time.

Those "supposed" women on here that say that they won't vote for Obama are obviously republicans. And I'm fine with that.

Just means that the GOP is that desperate that they have to "try" to hijack a blog with the comments. It's quite laughable, really.

June 11, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  2. Jen, CA

I have news for you ("McCain is not my friend...) I'm 67 - and I SAY OBAMA is a loser! Ya see, the longer you live, the easier it is to spot a phony. And I also want to say to you - POUND SAND!

June 11, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  3. kr

It is a long time before November. Things will change even more.
    Most democrats will vote for a democrat when the time comes.

Plus, who really knows who is posting on all these websites.Especially the negative ones, they are on all kinds of websites over and over and I do believe lots are actuallt Republicans trying to stir things up

We democrats are smarter than that. We will unite and win the White House . Too much is at stake.

OBAMA 08

June 11, 2008 05:14 pm at 5:14 pm |
  4. Gringo

I'll say it again. If we had wanted a socialist empty suit president, we would have voted for Obama in the first place.

No thank you. No tu puede !!!

June 11, 2008 05:15 pm at 5:15 pm |
  5. McCain AGAINST Womens' Rights

Don't vote for McCain. It is suicide.

June 11, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  6. sophia nyc

Get inline Dems.
    I don't buy the democrats for McBush thing. Even republicans are defecting.

June 11, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  7. A voice from Iran

Of course Obama will pick most Clinton supporters. HEALING TAKES TIME.. BUT WE WILL HEAL AND WE WILL UNITE... So if McCain plans on getting some votes there, he is death wrong. He should be happy if he can get 50% of his own Republican votes.

June 11, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  8. Marcy

Obama's not getting my vote. A vote for him is a vote for politics as usual. Obama will say whatever he needs to sway whatever group he is speaking to that day.

I will write in Hillary Clinton and am indifferent if McCain does win now.

June 11, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  9. Sal in Phoenix

So many people think he will give her something important to do like "health care czar"..that is nothing...she is a United States Senator for the State of New York..I would be disappointed in her if she took anything other than V.P., as a matter of fact, I don't think she should take V.P. if it's offered...she is the one that should be the nominee, not Obama...you'll all see what a big mistake you made.

June 11, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  10. Eric

I am a obama supporter and will also vote hillary in 2016. Welcome aboard clinton supporters, and those unsure, just look at McCains rating from women groups, its a zero rating, while Obama has 100% rating. McCain is going to take women two step backwards (Roe v. Wade??)

June 11, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  11. Susan -Oconomowoc, Wisconsin

As a female and life long Democrat, it baffles me that any of Hillary Clinton's supporters can possibly think of voting for McCain. If she had won the nomination, I would have voted for her in the general election, even though I did not in the primary. You can put a gun to my head, and I would not vote for McCain. As a woman, the idea is abhorant to me.

June 11, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  12. Linda31

So glad to hear!!!! Welcome Hillary supporters. With the issues on the table this election, we can't afford to have McCain in office.

Go Obama!

June 11, 2008 05:16 pm at 5:16 pm |
  13. Fight the liberal media!

OBAMABOTS HAVE NO BRAINS THEY OBEY WHAT THE SUPREAM COMMANDER SAYS. THEY MOSTLY HAVE JUNGLE FEVER!

NEVER OBAMA

VOTE MCCAIN OR WRITE IN HILLARY!

ITS THE ONLY WAY TO SHOW YOU ARE SMART AND STRONG AND LOVE AMERICA!

June 11, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  14. Jerry

McCain does not know what going on in American I think he worrying what going in iraq we need a president who want to take care home first not Iraq I am tired of paying higher tax for this war.

President Obama 08

June 11, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  15. Xavier, St. Louis, MO

Democrats Unite! Vote for change.

Obamanation '08

YES WE CAN!

June 11, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  16. Phil-Little Rock

@Tejano, what side of the border are you blogging on? Because if you're blogging on this side, you better have your green card handy. Otherwise, you wouldn't be here, since we all know you love that bastion of paradise, Tijuana. With the drug cartels murdering innocent citizens and the water that's not fit for poison.

June 11, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  17. Christine V from Dallas, TX

Inaccurate reporting! Do not get your hopes up koolaide drinkers.

However, it is not clear whether this is just a temporary rally in support for him upon clinching the nomination, or whether he will be able to sustain a high level of support from female voters for the duration of the campaign.

If Hillary is not on the ticket, then your empty suit loses!

June 11, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  18. Crying wolf

All the cry-baby clinton ladies need to realize their candidate lost fair and square and lost only because of her self. Quit blaming everybody else for your candidate's inabilities - grow up and quit threatening to vote for somebody who's totally opposite of Obama and Clinton. If you want Iraq, if you want a crazy old man who will overturn Roe vs Wade and invade Iran go for it, but THINK before you act ladies.

June 11, 2008 05:17 pm at 5:17 pm |
  19. Marc PDX

Running Mate?

I predict that Obama will select someone from the military. He can't easily get a national level politician (congressman or senator) because nearly anyone he could select would have more experience than he has. It would be an awkward "tutor to the prince" role. Nothing to gain and a lot to lose. So it'll probably be someone from outside of politics.

NObama N'08
    -OR-
    O-Hope-a '08 / O-Change-a in '12

June 11, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  20. L. Tran, TX

Of course there will be Hillary's supporters who will vote Obama. I believe in this poll: 60% will vote Obama, 20% will vote McCain, 20% will stay home.

June 11, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  21. Sharon - NC

Why is anyone surprised? I don't think Obama will miss the 50 or so women out there that swore they'd hang themselves if Obama was the nominee instead of Clinton. Most women are smarter than that. And the rest of those that blog that they will are republicans in disguise.

June 11, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  22. Jammie

well, doh. I can't understand why anyone with any common sense at all would vote for McSame anyway. Ugh. Our economy sucks, we're fighting an endless war that has no purpose, and we're all suffering because of the Republicans not listening to the people (like they ever did to start with anyway).

Go Obama. I don't care who he gets for VP, he's got my vote.

June 11, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  23. jinishans

Mayiru

June 11, 2008 05:18 pm at 5:18 pm |
  24. Ilona Proud Canadian

Hillary and Barack Supporters!!!!!!!!!
    ============================

I knew that you guys could do this. Way to go folks, let's show McCain just how Democrats can pull together. I knew that you would not turn your back on Hillary's request, she is supporting Barack 100% now you are too! Congratulations!

Now we have to be really alert, watch out for the Republicans pretending to be Hillary supporters, making negative comments.

I think it would be a good idea, if both Hillary and Barack's supporters would post their comments showing their support for your Presumptive Democratic Nominee.

I just knew that you guys could work together, it just did not make sense for you to vote for McCain. Now if Hillary runs for President in the future, you know that she WILL get all of the Dem. support! Just keep posting positive comments, the only person you should be going after is John McCain! LET'S GO DEMOCRATS

June 11, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |
  25. CNN a Joke

CNN is trying to throw the deal for Obama just like they did for Clinton. Don't play into it.

June 11, 2008 05:19 pm at 5:19 pm |