June 11th, 2008

She may have a crush on Obama

Johansson is a fan of Obama.
Johansson is a fan of Obama.

(CNN) - Scarlett Johansson, it appears, has a crush on Barack Obama.

The Golden Globe-nominated actress, who has long been an Obama supporter, told the Politico on Tuesday she often e-mails the Illinois senator and is amazed he takes the time to write back.

“You’d imagine that someone like the senator who is constantly traveling and constantly ‘on’ — how can he return these personal e-mails?” she told Politico. “But he does, and in his off-time I know he also calls people who have donated the minimum to thank them. Nobody sees it, nobody talks about it, but it’s incredible.”

“I feel like I’m supporting someone, and having a personal dialogue with them, and it’s amazing," Johansson said.

Specifically, Johansson said she e-mailed Obama following the last Democratic debate in Pennsylvania, after which the moderators were criticized for focusing on trivial issues instead of more pressing matters. The Hollywood starlet said she wrote Obama to congratulate him for "holding his ground."

Watch Obama criticize the final debate

Johansson, who has previously joked she is engaged to the presumptive Democratic nominee, is one of Obama's more vocal supporters in Hollywood, having hosted prominent fundraisers on his behalf and taking a starring role in the Emmy-nominated "Yes We Can" video that's racked up millions of hits on YouTube.

The 23-year-old actress told the Politico she first met Obama at a private fundraising event last year, but has since met up with him several times on the campaign trail. She says she is approaching campaigning for him the same way she campaigns for other causes she believes in.

"I’m hoping to raise awareness,” she said. “I’m not telling people who to vote for, and I don’t expect that if I did it would swing votes. At least, I hope not. What I want to do is raise awareness of Obama and his policies, and share my own story of how I became involved in his campaign. Perhaps, if they’re a fan, my story might entice them to learn or spark their interest some other way. If I can answer questions or direct people to a website where they can get more information, that’s how I can help.”

1. KH in WY

I would email her back too. She is hot!!!

June 11, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  2. Oregon calling -

My question is .... how did she get his private email address?!?!!?

June 11, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  3. David Minneapolis

In case you didn't notice, she helped to make a music video, "Yes we Can", with Will.i.am of the Black Eyed Peas. Check it out on youtube. It went viral, almost 8 million hits. This helped immensely with the youth vote, remember this is a political strategy, and a smart one for Obama to use. She is seen as a smart, successful female superstar. And like Leonardo, and Brad, she has consciousness and uses her fame to forward what she believes in, you know, artists realizing that they can do more than just make money and tabloids rich. It would be great if all 'stars' began to be involved in the change that their country so desperately needs right now. And it helps with former Hillary supporters, ones younger than Elizabeth Taylor anyway.

June 11, 2008 12:33 pm at 12:33 pm |
  4. Kathryn Irby - Metairie, LA

I would certainly be more likely to have a crush on Obama than McBush!!

June 11, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  5. el chapo

I would reply to all of Scarlett's emails in a heart beat.

June 11, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  6. Hollywood4Obama

I am a Hollywood blonde actress too, and I have a crush on him too!

Go OBAMA!!!

June 11, 2008 12:34 pm at 12:34 pm |
  7. Shawn T

Ron Larson:

Very eloquent post, albeit verbose. Too bad it still couldn't conceal your fundamentalist mindset.

June 11, 2008 12:35 pm at 12:35 pm |
  8. P

I am one of Obama's actual senatorial constituents in Illinois. I have emailed him several times over issues. All I get back is some generic response generated by his staff. Is this actress getting more than that? I would hate to think that the Senator is actively making time to shmooze with Hollywood celebrities while essentially ignoring (Or at best patronizing) the citizens whom he represents. That doesn't seem to be much change from othr politicians.

June 11, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  9. MI Women 4 Obama!

I think is a rather refreshing short new peice. Something quite positive. I think further goes to show that Barack has some personality and is a people person. Barack really cares about the middle guy and everyone else!

Can't wait till he's the President and things start CHANGING!

Yea Barack!

June 11, 2008 12:36 pm at 12:36 pm |
  10. Ward

I emailed Sen. Obama last July. I'm an Illinois resident, and asked his position on upcoming legislation on a Medicare issue directly related to cancer treatment I'm receiving. Low and behold, 6 months later I received a response. However the response was a "canned letter" that could have been sent to any of his constituents, and did not address or even mention the issue. Why does he have time to communicate with movie stars that are non-residents of the state he represents, but not have time to discuss issues with his constituents? He was elected to represent the citizens of Illinois, but can't seem to do his job. Sen. Obama is collecting a salary but has failed to perform the duty for which he is paid. I don't think his dedication to duty meets the requirements of a head of state or a commander-in-chief.

June 11, 2008 12:37 pm at 12:37 pm |